Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Interesting, I enjoyed Luke Cage. I think the marvel formula failed it, shyt didn't need as many ep's as it did per season. But yeah joking aside, I could see Spike Lee helming an episode of Luke Cage, hell maybe even Captain America and The Winter Soldier, Spike Lee isn't a scrub at ALL. But naw, I can't see him being the director of an entire Marvel(Superhero) film. That's just not his type of shyt.

Oh he could do it for sure, but it has to be the right character and there will be some obvious constraints about the action scenes and maybe plot points to work around. But picture New Jack City with a Luke Cage type nikka running around...that's where the show was heading anyway, having him go deeper into the underworld.

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple
Taxi Driver >>> Marvel Universe

:mjgrin:

in terms of cinema...

I say that after rewatching taxi driver by chance just last week. There are better storytelling elements. Just all the little things people forget make good stories classic. Marvel movies sacrificed a lot of those elements, imho.
But why are we comparing?

I know what Scorsese means on it’s face but so what. They brought the comics to life on screen. I go to the movies for entertainment at the highest of levels and these movies deliver. You must not of read a comic in your life. Why put Taxi Driver and any comic book movie in the same breath they’re two different types of films :what:

Last edited:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
But why are we comparing?

I know Scorsese means on it’s face but so what. They brought the comics to life on screen. I go to the movies for entertainment at the highest of levels and these movies deliver. You must not of read a comic in your life. Why put Taxi Driver and any comic book movie in the same breath they’re two different types of films :what:

For the general crowd it's because it's what allows them to be snarky/elitist about it.

For Marty, it's because those types of films are edging out the type of film that he makes. Because it's getting harder to justify needing a 20 foot screen and potentially spending 100's of dollars at the theater when you can watch them on Netflix or something similar. I love narrative films too and I actually prefer to have some space to take them in and springboard my own ideas off of them, I don't need to be with 40 other people, probably in a poorly lit theater (unless you pay a preimum) for that. I get why he and others are bitter about that shift, but get tf over it.

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
For the general crowd it's because it's what allows them to be snarky/elitist about it.

For Marty, it's because those types of films are edging out the type of film that he makes. Because it's getting harder to justify needing a 20 foot screen and potentially spending 100's of dollars at the theater when you can watch them on Netflix or something similar. I love narrative films too and I actually prefer to have some space to take them in and springboard my own ideas off of them, I don't need to be with 40 other people, probably in a poorly lit theater (unless you pay a preimum) for that. I get why he and others are bitter about that shift, but get tf over it.

BUT all Marvel movies cost over 150 million bucks. Well except maybe for the Ant Man joints.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Scorsese should direct a comic book movie and show them how it should be done. I guarantee it would be the greatest comic movie ever made.

Joker was basically a poor man's King of Comedy/Taxi Driver hybrid and a lot of people called it a masterpiece

semicko82

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL

You know Marvel movies are narrative movies right :unsure:

sunny80

All Star
Daps
Joker was basically a poor man's King of Comedy/Taxi Driver hybrid and a lot of people called it a masterpiece
I enjoyed the movie but mostly because I am already a fan of the films you named. The truth is that it was only dubbed a masterpiece because right now cinema and really all major artforms are suffering. If Joker came out around the same time as Taxi Driver it would not have been dubbed a masterpiece because back then quality films were made in mass. In today's cinema most movies are on the mediocre side or less than mediocre.

Drew Wonder

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:mjlol: Spike Lee. Dolly Shot: Of Thanos looking crestfallen while strolling through Planet Titan.

Iron Man: You steroid-taking, Point Break hair having, pale blue-eyed, boo hoo all my people are dead, let me cry over my mommy, my daddy doesn't love me, my brother's a murderer, punk Ass-guardian bytch! Yeah you!

Thor: You drunk, alcoholic, p*ssy in your chest, pubes on your chin, no Super power having, psycho robot creating, crying over my parents getting murked by a mute, bytch ass Earthling, punk mutha--

Nick Fury: Whoa! Y'all take a chill! You need to cool that shyt off! And that's the double-truth, Ruth!

Daps
Reppin
Birmingham, Alabama
I like Marvel movies, but I hate how they've almost killed off regular action movies.

I also hate how almost all of them are just action-comedies.

They have perfected the connected universe. But the movies are mostly subpar. If Thanos is coming to kill half the universe shouldn't be anything funny about that. But I digress. I think they will do the X-Men a lot more justice. The Avengers were not their baby. That's what they had to work with.