Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Bruce Wayne

THE GODDAMN BILLIONAIRE
Daps
Reppin
Gotham City
I get what he's saying but it's the Genre that he's really at Loss with. This is Comic Book Movie, nothing that he knows anything about and these Movies are bound to be CGI Heavy.:manny:

These Movies do contain all sorts of Emotion that an Actor or Actress must express for the Sake of the Character to Connect with the Audience, Fans of the Character alone. He's Wrong about that part and just doesn't understand that, I feel like he just skimmed through that when giving this Statement.:hhh:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
to be honest i stopped watching marvel movies. they dont feel like real movies, just stepping stones to something bigger. this is the consequence of putting a universal event and the goal of reaching $1B per movie above all else. i still think the first 2 blade movies are better than most of the MCU era movies because they had something they wanted to do within those movies and not years down the line. the 3rd movie wanted to set up spin offs and that is when blade went off the rails.

i assume this is what he is getting at. every time you make a movie, that one movie should have its own reasons to exist. if your movie is just a "vehicle" for something else, you cheapen the movie. if marvel took that a little more seriously, i think fewer old heads would complain.

That's the thing, saying bullshyt like there is not emotion or psychological experience within the films or that connectedness "cheapens" anything within the films just because he doesn't understand the genre is off base.

What the MCU has done is unprecedented, regardless of how people feel about it...Feige has literally brought comic books to LIFE, not just "comic book movies", but the actual feel and experience of being a comic book fan to the big screen and a big part of that experience is the content being episodic. And honestly, the immersion is only going to deepen as they get their TV deparment going and can make it even more comic-book like with being able to spend more time on character development.

Marvel had to use 'cinema' to get to where they are, but the real potential for their very best stuff is going to be in the TV format IMO.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
OK cool. But they are cinema right? If so, you agree with me and Marty is wrong.
I agree with him mostly because I know he knows more about cinema than myself. I can just tell, based on what little I do know, that marvel films aren’t good examples.

They’re poor examples of cinematography and more examples of special effects and post production work...

sunny80

All Star
Daps
I liken these new Hollywood movies (not just Marvel) to the current state of pop music. They are bland, lifeless and lacking much effort. They use cgi and action to distract you from the reality that they are just watered down versions of previous stories. Older movies were much better than these newer ones. But this is only my humble opinion.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I agree with him mostly because I know he knows more about cinema than myself. I can just tell, based on what little I do know, that marvel films aren’t good examples.

They’re poor examples of cinematography and more examples of special effects and post production work...
My thing isn't about that. Like I said don't like/hate them all you want but to act like you are doing something different is false.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
All of cinema is an escapist magic trick to tell stories, even the Lars von Trier (and co) movies.

Goodfellas isn't far from a stylized comic book version of how that shyt really went down.

Marty's one of the gawds but singling out any genre of style is bound to be bullshyt. His comments are on the same level as that dumb ass thread in here about Joker being "the worst thing to happen to the DCEU".

There's great comic book movies that excel in visual and audio. There's great CGI. There's great and significant storytelling in comic book movies...WHEN DONE RIGHT, just like anything else.

NobodyReally

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cornfields, cows, & an one stoplight town
You know the more I think about this, the more it sounds like bullshyt. I still remember sitting through Scorcee's "Silence" thinking how overwrought and self-involved it was. It was like the extreme opposite of vacant theme park fun; it was the party guest who thinks he's so important and smart he lacks the self-awareness to realize people get what he's talking about, they just don't like the way he's talking to them.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
A lot of what I’m going to say has probably been said but:

Marty is right to an extent. Not every comic book flick is reaching for deep emotional connection and won’t meet his definition of cinema. This is a guy who grew up on Lawrence of Arabia and the bridge on the river kwai. The movies of the 50s and 60s, specifically his influences, spoke a different language. And on the real? He’s earned the right to state his opinion on film in any way he wants to. His context of cinema isn’t the same as everyone else’s because of his generation.

On the flip side, movies like black panther or the dark knight or endgame or guardians contradict his point. They’re all about the human condition and emotions between characters and exploring how people relate to each other and differ and human conflict, not big bombastic conflict.

That said, I’m not getting my boxers in a bunch over it. The man is entitled to his opinion and that shyt doesn’t affect me either way. Has there been any comic book movie I’d put on the same level of goodfellas or taxi driver or raging bull? Nah. But that doesn’t mean they have any less value or aren’t dope. In the end, it’s how he feels and it is what it is. Let him cook

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
All films are entertainment. Doesn't matter if it's a film about men and women in tights fighting a genocidal purple alien, a billionaire man child with PTSD dressing up as a bat, a western, a black man dressing like a stereotypical, feisty, old church going black woman, a world war 2 movie, a movie about drug dealers in the hood, a movie about the Italian or Irish mob, etc. A lot of superhero movies, DC and Marvel, are forgettable but it's a form of escapism for a couple of hours. Watching Goodfellas, The Departed, Raging Bull, etc is escapism.