Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I’m saying if you say “this Oscar winning director” as a defense for marvel movies, I’m just gonna deflect to the other multi award winner Oscar director’s advice...

you can’t bring up one thing and then be upset because I shot it down with someone more accomplished...
Uh he didn't give advice he made assertions. And he only has two Oscars and they are for the same movie. lol
But really I was saying to act like Marvel movies don't have competent high level talent doing for Marvel movies what they did for their 'cinema' (whatever that is) work is inaccurate.

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
Uh he didn't give advice he made assertions. And he only has two Oscars and they are for the same movie. lol
But really I was saying to act like Marvel movies don't have competent high level talent doing for Marvel movies what they did for their 'cinema' (whatever that is) work is inaccurate.
No one said that. All we saying is it’s not a good example of cinema...

funny thing is, there are other movies better than the marvel ones, one offs and such, that could easily be used to support his theory on cinematographic elements making a film more than

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
You dont have to know all those things to enjoy a movie, but what really makes a piece a cinema actual art and classic is one that uses those techniques EFFECTIVELY to tell the story

Marvel stories don’t use those element effectively and rely on other elements (some of which have nothing to do with the film directly) to appeal, yet they add nothing to the cinematic experience.

One of the biggest crutches is the special effects, imho. But that’s been Hollywood’s issue for years
You dont make tge declaration of what effectively tells a story. The audience does. If the audience likes and connects, then the movie qas effective.

All the other stuff is bullsbit.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Also, stop claiming everyone in here is being subjective, you haven’t offered 1 piece of objective information to support YOUR belief about marvel films

the burden of proof isn’t on us, Marty spoke, y’all got beef with him...
Nah. lol
My belief they are no different than other films is supported by facts they are released, made and shot by the same studios and talent that make every other movie. If there is an objective difference I'm missing point it out. :francis:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
You dont make tge declaration of what effectively tells a story. The audience does. If the audience likes and connects, then the movie qas effective.

All the other stuff is bullsbit.
See, this is the bullshyt I can’t stand...nikka gone try to be obtuse and shyt, talking about the audience like they know “the audience” personally.

you just saying that to support your view. Ain’t got nothing to do with what directors have done since the first film studio opened...

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
There’s a reason why they make classes examining shot styles and cinematography of people like Marty...

but if you wanna keep on pretending there’s no skill in what he does and that it’s all a matter of opinion...
I haven't made one comment about his movies besides saying I'm a big fan.
I'm commenting on his assertions about Marvel movies.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
No one said that. All we saying is it’s not a good example of cinema...

funny thing is, there are other movies better than the marvel ones, one offs and such, that could easily be used to support his theory on cinematographic elements making a film more than
OK cool. But they are cinema right? If so, you agree with me and Marty is wrong.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Would love to see his thoughts on Joker since it borrowed (some would say ripped off) so many elements from Taxi Driver and King of Comedy
He was supposed to be a producer on it originally.

Joker: How Martin Scorsese Helped Out the DC Movie - IGN

As Phillips explained, “(Scorsese) read the script and called me and we had a great 20 minute conversation about the script, but [he] also said, I can't do it because I'm doing [Netflix’s The] Irishman. We literally filmed them back to back, meaning he did Irishman and we shot Joker, but he was knee deep in prep for that epic.”

The director, who co-wrote the Joker script with Scott Silver, said “we had a nice conversation about the script on the phone. He told me what he loved about it. I don't necessarily want to talk about what we talked about, but it was amazing for me.”

Phillips then asked Scorsese if he could have Scorsese’s longtime producer Emma Tillinger Koskoff, who Phillips called “the queen of New York,” join the Joker production. “She runs New York movies because she works for Marty and she has the best crews, relationships with the MTA [Metropolitan Transportation Authority],” Phillips explained.