Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Truefan31

Superstar
Daps
I would hope a dude this far in the game has more classics than the new dudes. That said, I don't see any of my favorite "young" directors delving into the cbm realm. I mean, whose the best director making post-Nolan cbms? Wan?

That's the point. He's been in the game for so long, his classic films are some of the best movies ever. Not just classics, but some of the best classics ever.

Daps
The Irishman has not even premiered to the public yet dumbass

How does the Star Wars Rise of the Skywalkers thread look right now? How many posts are in the average marvel movie thread before it premieres? shyt, how many posts were in the Gemini Man thread before it premiered?

Daps
That's what I mean :dahell: this board gonna be posting about him until February. You'll have plenty of time to stan kids movies.

OK. How long will a thread just about him be on the front page? Not one where he’s taking shots at Marvel, but a thread just about him and his work? I generally don’t give a shyt about his recent works and wouldn’t bother going into a thread about a movie that I have no interest in watching.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
It's a scene from scene copy, it's not a remake

If it was a remake it would've been called Internal Affairs, they called it Departed, nobody in Amercia even knows its a copy of

The cop dies in the elevator just like decpario, every beat point in the movie is the same, it's not even using the same copy, its literally the same movie just with cacs in it
No it isn't.
Infernal affairs doesn't kill Damon's character.
That is why it is able to have 2 more sequels.
It also isn't a shot for shot rematke.
A shot for shot / scene for scene remake would be like Spike Lee's remake of Old Boy or the remake of Psycho.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The KKK is despicable.

Mass shooters are despicable.

Pedophiles are despicable.

I'm sorry but calling comic movies "despicable" is grade A clown shyt. And no, I'm not willing to give dude a pass because he directed some of my favorite movies.

Cats need to stop shytting on these legends in defense of comic movies....but at the same time these cats need to parse their words better. Talking about "they aren't cinema" and "they're despicable" goes beyond criticism and into the realm of hating.

Fred.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
And I guarantee I bet Coogler/Nolan etc don't think Scorsese is some washed up director......

Again, Scorsese is most likely your favorite director's favorite director:mjlol:
Fam, I've been up in this thread defending Scorcese's merit as an icon in film. I was just making the point that an icon inherently should have more classics than new filmmakers.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
The KKK is despicable.

Mass shooters are despicable.

Pedophiles are despicable.

I'm sorry but calling comic movies "despicable" is grade A clown shyt. And no, I'm not willing to give dude a pass because he directed some of my favorite movies.

Cats need to stop shytting on these legends in defense of comic movies....but at the same time these cats need to parse their words better. Talking about "they aren't cinema" and "they're despicable" goes beyond criticism and into the realm of hating.

Fred.

something as simple as saying "that type of cinema" could have made a world of difference.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
something as simple as saying "that type of cinema" could have made a world of difference.

I'm saying man.

The thread is full of people like :yeshrug: "what's the big deal, they're just shytting on comic movies"....but for a lot of people it's not about the content.

It's about....cats took their 6 year old to see "Ironman", and now their teen drove them to see "Endgame". Or there was a kid with cancer, and wanted to see "Infinity War". He died before he could.

So for people to say "nah bro you gotta respect these guys, they're legends"....I'm watching "The Irishman" day 1 but these guys are getting the same energy they put out. :manny:

Fred.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Nothing about RDJ's redemption has to do with the content of his movies, breh. That's like saying Stranger Things inspired you because of how it got Winona Ryder back from being know as a has been shoplifter. Or Mr. Robot was inspirational for giving Christian Slater a second chance. Or Dallas Buyer's Club/True Detective inspired you because of Matthew McConaughey's resurgence.

RDJ's redemption and Tony's redemption have plenty of parallels.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
I'm saying man.

The thread is full of people like :yeshrug: "what's the big deal, they're just shytting on comic movies"....but for a lot of people it's not about the content.

It's about....cats took their 6 year old to see "Ironman", and now their teen drove them to see "Endgame". Or there was a kid with cancer, and wanted to see "Infinity War". He died before he could.

So for people to say "nah bro you gotta respect these guys, they're legends"....I'm watching "The Irishman" day 1 but these guys are getting the same energy they put out. :manny:

Fred.

But Scorsese and Coppola are talking about the movies themselves. They aren't talking about the bonding experiences, good memories or the good deeds that the Avengers actors have done for their fans nor do I doubt they care. They are solely looking at how the movies are affecting cinema itself because that's their primary concern. Marvel fans shouldn't take it as they are being personally attacked.

And again, "artsy" directors are some of the biggest film snobs in the world. Coppola also said A New Hope was shyt the first time he saw it. Many of the 70's auteurs ridiculed the fukk out of Lucas and Spielberg because they thought they sold out (and they were fukkin' FRIENDS with them lol). These dudes, particularly Coppola, have huge egos. And to a point, it's understandable - if people said you made the greatest film EVER, you'd have a huge sense of self worth like Coppola too. Same shyt happened with Kanye - people called him a genius for making some dope music and it completely went to his head.