Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
Uhhh this post is ironic as fukk lol. It's literally only marvel cats who were and continue to be upset by this thread. :mjlol:

You yourself ran in here to say marty is just a guy. If he was just a guy this thread would have never been made and still be going 10 days later and it is still going because a few people not you but the regular marvel cats still angry about their precious comic book movies being talked down :manny:
Yall keep getting played by going back and forth with them.

I'm not hero worshiping and holding another man's opinion over my own just because he's great at his job:yeshrug:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
"We not mad"

"We not in feelings"

"We put people on ignore :sadbron: "

Can't make it up.. :mjlol:
@MartyMcFly, @Still FloW both got me on ignore exactly behind this Marvel/DC shyt so I guess it goes both ways. :mjgrin:
And I mean you up in here upping the thread day after day but want to act like you are even tempered. "We don't believe you, you need more people." :mjlol:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
So on a message board (the Coli no less) who is off limits?

Y’all are defending that man like he’s your daddy acting like he ain’t human and doesn’t get bitter like everybody else

y’all can’t talk about marvel “stans” when y’all are stanning even harder for this man. Only difference is the marvel stans are bullshytting 90% of the time but y’all legit taking shyt to heart about this nikka
We're stanning Scorcese? Giving respect to a great does not equal stanning him. Plenty of people, myself included, said we disagree with his assessment that Marvel type films are not cinema. That's a far cry from calling the dude "some guy" or the other ridiculous assertions made about him in this thread. No person, genre, theme, etc, is off limits. Especially on this forum where I've seen cats boast about it being the best one on the coli. But with this forum allegedly being the best one on the coli was an understanding that cats had an appreciation for all things film, TV, literature, and media in general. So, yeah, a lot of us found it crazy to go the lengths that some have gone to shyt on dude because he doesn't like/or give credence to a given style.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
Do you honestly think Crash deserved the best picture Oscar in 2006?

Do you think Pacino should have got the Oscar in 1993 for scent of a woman over Denzel in Malcolm X?

Of all of Denzel’s leading roles, he doesn’t get one for playing a Civil Rights Icon or a framed boxer. He gets one for playing a crooked cop.

My overall point was that awards aren’t the be all end all. And often times make questionable decisions.

And I will stand by my statement that the FX heavy movies are the reasons studios can fund their cinema/ high art stuff. That’s nothing new. In the 90s, a studio would rely on the grosses from an Arnold, Tom Cruise, or Will Smith film to keep the profits up. Making movies is expensive, and the artistic stuff generally doesn’t sell well enough to justify $100 million+ budgets.

I’ve also gone out of my way in pretty much every post to say that Scorsese is an artist and great director. But be that as it may, he’s not putting butts in seats.
None of you first few paragraphs has anything to do with Scorcese's point. Feige brought up awards, not Scorcese. So you downed those actors'/movies' awards for what purpose? Certainly nothing to do with Scorcese's opinion.

You'd have a point about movies heavy in special FX if Scorcese specifically put them down. Am I supposed to think Scorcese hates Villeneuve or Cuaron films? Cause they are doing far more special things with FX than anything any comic book movie has ever done. Scorcese has an issue with Cameron or Speilberg? Ridley Scott? Nolan? FX and the greatest auteurs/storytellers have gone hand in hand forever. If anything was disingenuous it was you trying to conflate them with a certain type of movie as opposed to the geniuses making them.

Daps
None of you first few paragraphs has anything to do with Scorcese's point. Feige brought up awards, not Scorcese. So you downed those actors'/movies' awards for what purpose? Certainly nothing to do with Scorcese's opinion.

You'd have a point about movies heavy in special FX if Scorcese specifically put them down. Am I supposed to think Scorcese hates Villeneuve or Cuaron films? Cause they are doing far more special things with FX than anything any comic book movie has ever done. Scorcese has an issue with Cameron or Speilberg? Ridley Scott? Nolan? FX and the greatest auteurs/storytellers have gone hand in hand forever. If anything was disingenuous it was you trying to conflate them with a certain type of movie as opposed to the geniuses making them.

did Scorcese need to take a shot at Marvel in the first place? A simple I don’t care for it or I didn’t find the subject matter interesting would have gotten no response and no clicks.

The article mentions awards directly after the Scorsese quotes and like most of the people in this thread, uses awards as a general proxy for overall quality for a film. He didn’t say awards directly, but that’s a fair inference to make based on context.

And in terms of disparaging the specific movies/actors, my point is that “the award,” the Oscar has been awarded in questionable circumstances and given the makeup of the general academy, we give it too much weight. I’m also far from the first person to question Crash’s best picture win. Multiple people have pointed out how Denzel’s Oscar in 2002 was a makeup Oscar from 1993, when the academy gave Pacino a Makeup Oscar from whatever year Nicholson won it, which was a makeup Oscar from the year he got snubbed.

I respect the tone and nuance of your post, but if we’re calling Marvel movies a theme park ride, how is Avatar not in the same category? Sure Cameron pushed the boundaries of film making, but in terms of narrative driven film, Avatar looks way closer to a Marvel movie in terms of green screen and thin predictable plot.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
He's salty. Paramount was supposed to distribute this movie. The cost of the movie was rising, and the production company stopped funding it. So Paramount dropped it. After it being dropped, and Netflix picking it up, costs kept on rising and it's official final cost was around $159 million. So pretty much, no one thought they were going to make a decent or obscene profit from this three hour movie. Yet, Endgame was three hours and was in every damn theater you could think of. They would have put monitors in the bathroom stalls, so you could watch the movie while taking a shyt if they could have. He's feeling some type of way. I guarantee that he thinks Endgame should be the movie on Netflix, and his should be the one being enjoyed in theaters.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
He's salty. Paramount was supposed to distribute this movie. The cost of the movie was rising, and the production company stopped funding it. So Paramount dropped it. After it being dropped, and Netflix picking it up, costs kept on rising and it's official final cost was around $159 million. So pretty much, no one thought they were going to make a decent or obscene profit from this three hour movie. Yet, Endgame was three hours and was in every damn theater you could think of. They would have put monitors in the bathroom stalls, so you could watch the movie while taking a shyt if they could have. He's feeling some type of way. I guarantee that he thinks Endgame should be the movie on Netflix, and his should be the one being enjoyed in theaters.

Your comparison is off. An R rated crime film isn't made for children and with the rising costs of tickets/products and the addition of streaming platforms less and less adults are going to the theater. When they do go to the theater they are taking their children because they have no choice. If I had kids and they want to see Toy Story 4, not only am I paying for their two tickets, I'm also purchasing one on my own.

Many couples don't go out to the theater no more. It's why a phrase like "Netflix and chill" existed in the first place. Why go spend the money on a date when you can watch something at home and still get what you want out of the night.

Theaters aren't going to put 3+ hour movies in the theater anymore unless it appeals to children. That's based on rising costs and also the uptick in streaming service usage.

Yeah, the cost of The Irishman got crazy and Scorsese wasn't going to do the project unless he can do it right. That's the part you left out. He is a filmmaker, he is not going to compromise his work to appease a theater chain. Netflix gave him the bag, he finished the project and now it's headed to awards season. Netflix got what they wanted, it will be a discussion for months to come leading into the Oscars.

This conversation about how theaters are operating in 2019 has nothing to do with the comment he made, it's a separate debate.

ColdSlither

Extensive Enterprises
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Elizabeth, NJ by way of East Orange
Your comparison is off. An R rated crime film isn't made for children and with the rising costs of tickets/products and the addition of streaming platforms less and less adults are going to the theater. When they do go to the theater they are taking their children because they have no choice. If I had kids and they want to see Toy Story 4, not only am I paying for their two tickets, I'm also purchasing one on my own.

Many couples don't go out to the theater no more. It's why a phrase like "Netflix and chill" existed in the first place. Why go spend the money on a date when you can watch something at home and still get what you want out of the night.

Theaters aren't going to put 3+ hour movies in the theater anymore unless it appeals to children. That's based on rising costs and also the uptick in streaming service usage.

Yeah, the cost of The Irishman got crazy and Scorsese wasn't going to do the project unless he can do it right. That's the part you left out. He is a filmmaker, he is not going to compromise his work to appease a theater chain. Netflix gave him the bag, he finished the project and now it's headed to awards season. Netflix got what they wanted, it will be a discussion for months to come leading into the Oscars.

This conversation about how theaters are operating in 2019 has nothing to do with the comment he made, it's a separate debate.

I didn't leave anything out. He's salty.