Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
We're stanning Scorcese? Giving respect to a great does not equal stanning him. Plenty of people, myself included, said we disagree with his assessment that Marvel type films are not cinema. That's a far cry from calling the dude "some guy" or the other ridiculous assertions made about him in this thread. No person, genre, theme, etc, is off limits. Especially on this forum where I've seen cats boast about it being the best one on the coli. But with this forum allegedly being the best one on the coli was an understanding that cats had an appreciation for all things film, TV, literature, and media in general. So, yeah, a lot of us found it crazy to go the lengths that some have gone to shyt on dude because he doesn't like/or give credence to a given style.

I don’t think acknowledging that he’s a human who gets bitter like all the rest of us is ridiculous. People should be given the same leeway to dismiss his opinion as the people demanding it be held above all others. If he says people shouldn’t watch any other movies but his should we do that too because he is a movie great?

And again the very first post in the thread is begging for shyt to pop off, he got what he wanted

Last edited:

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
did Scorcese need to take a shot at Marvel in the first place? A simple I don’t care for it or I didn’t find the subject matter interesting would have gotten no response and no clicks.

The article mentions awards directly after the Scorsese quotes and like most of the people in this thread, uses awards as a general proxy for overall quality for a film. He didn’t say awards directly, but that’s a fair inference to make based on context.

And in terms of disparaging the specific movies/actors, my point is that “the award,” the Oscar has been awarded in questionable circumstances and given the makeup of the general academy, we give it too much weight. I’m also far from the first person to question Crash’s best picture win. Multiple people have pointed out how Denzel’s Oscar in 2002 was a makeup Oscar from 1993, when the academy gave Pacino a Makeup Oscar from whatever year Nicholson won it, which was a makeup Oscar from the year he got snubbed.

I respect the tone and nuance of your post, but if we’re calling Marvel movies a theme park ride, how is Avatar not in the same category? Sure Cameron pushed the boundaries of film making, but in terms of narrative driven film, Avatar looks way closer to a Marvel movie in terms of green screen and thin predictable plot.
Scorcese mentioned Marvel because he was asked if he'd watched any of the Marvel films, fam.
“I tried, you know?” the director said when asked if he had seen Marvel’s movies. “But that’s not cinema.”
A huge narrative concerning him was how he'd been snubbed for a Best Director Oscar for years, so I very much doubt he himself places a ton of importance on awards as far as them being a distinction of quality.

I'd have no problem with Avatar being called a theme park ride either. But I very much doubt that Scorcese would put down James Cameron's talent or what he's added to the history of film. Scorcese did, after all, make a movie like Hugo which shows he has nothing against technological film making and Cameron might be the king of that. At the end of the day, maybe Marvel type films are just not his bag. He went the extra step of saying they're not cinema which I, and a ton of other posters, disagree with him about. That disagreement isn't based in some annoyance that he dared put down Marvel.

obarth

R.I.P Char
Poster of the Year
Daps
Reppin
Pawgs with dragons
I don’t think acknowledging that he’s a human who gets bitter like all the rest of us is ridiculous. People should be given the same leeway to dismiss his opinion as the people demanding it be held above all others. If he says people shouldn’t watch any other movies but his should we do that too because he is a movie great?

And again the very first post in the thread is begging for shyt to pop off, perhaps if
The majority of the dudes in the thread disagree with him about Marvel not being cinema, breh. So no, nikkas aren't going to blindly not watch whatever Scorcese tells them not to watch. You know your being hyperbolic with that comparison. Dude in the first post asked Marvel stans to come shyt on Scorcese and they did. You're saying that part of the initial post is really what this thread has been about for two weeks and not Scorcese's comments?:patrice:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
I forgot these were the same cats in the Joker thread talkin bout they were scared to go to the movies and they kept posting scare monger tweets about it @Still FloW

:dead: :dead: :pachaha:

They really wanted that one to fail :wow:

This thread is like the plot of the first Injustice game. :pachaha:

"Joker" movie has all these MCU/casual posters acting all out of pocket cause thw movie decided to focus on substance on a character study over CGI characters.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
The majority of the dudes in the thread disagree with him about Marvel not being cinema, breh. So no, nikkas aren't going to blindly not watch whatever Scorcese tells them not to watch. You know your being hyperbolic with that comparison. Dude in the first post asked Marvel stans to come shyt on Scorcese and they did. You're saying that part of the initial post is really what this thread has been about for two weeks and not Scorcese's comments?:patrice:
Then we circle back around to the point of why is it a problem to not care about his opinion :unimpressed:and the logical proceeding from that is if it is ok to not care about his opinion you shouldn’t care what other people say about him

kind of like how marvel fans shouldn’t care about people not liking their films marty fans shouldn’t care about people not being in love with him either

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
shyt... they are cinema in the most literal sense but he isn't lying that unfortunately the only movies anyone goes to see now are blockbusters and "good film" in the traditional sense is dying at least when it comes to what people watch in the theater.

It's like comparing Britney Spears to Miles Davis.

Dr. Acula

Hail Hydra
Supporter
Daps
What's the difference?
Not being pretentious but there are some films that are narrative and story driven that you know after you walk out "that is a damn good film" as far as the writing and construction of it. Marvel movies can be fun and I'm not one of these pretentious types who think everyone who watches them are scum and of low class but I don't enjoy say, A Clockwork Orange ( a movie I've seen 10 times and one of my personal favorites) the same way I would enjoy Iron man. It's not the same experience and not the same type of cinema.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Your comparison is off. An R rated crime film isn't made for children and with the rising costs of tickets/products and the addition of streaming platforms less and less adults are going to the theater. When they do go to the theater they are taking their children because they have no choice. If I had kids and they want to see Toy Story 4, not only am I paying for their two tickets, I'm also purchasing one on my own.

Many couples don't go out to the theater no more. It's why a phrase like "Netflix and chill" existed in the first place. Why go spend the money on a date when you can watch something at home and still get what you want out of the night.

Theaters aren't going to put 3+ hour movies in the theater anymore unless it appeals to children. That's based on rising costs and also the uptick in streaming service usage.

Yeah, the cost of The Irishman got crazy and Scorsese wasn't going to do the project unless he can do it right. That's the part you left out. He is a filmmaker, he is not going to compromise his work to appease a theater chain. Netflix gave him the bag, he finished the project and now it's headed to awards season. Netflix got what they wanted, it will be a discussion for months to come leading into the Oscars.

This conversation about how theaters are operating in 2019 has nothing to do with the comment he made, it's a separate debate.

Kinda confused here as "The Irishman" is playing in theaters. Just in an extremely limited capacity.

Dude couldn't get the movie funded by conventional means though, which is why it's produced by Netflix.

Which is whatever, it's not unheard of.

Anyway, in the last month or so he's said:

1. Summer block buster type movies are pushing "real movies" out of the theater.

2. Marvel/Marvel type/comic movies shouldn't be in theaters.

3. He couldn't get his latest movie funded so he took it to Netflix and it'll only be in a few theaters.

And you seriously think those three things are completely unrelated? :mjlol:

It's like....c'mon man. Cut the bullshyt out. :stopitslime:

Fred.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
And you seriously think those three things are completely unrelated? :mjlol:

It's like....c'mon man. Cut the bullshyt out.

1. He couldn't get it funded "at the cost he wanted" and Netflix did it, Netflix has a lot of awards type movies they are buying up like Marriage Story etc. It's not "news" that streaming platforms are buying films and producing them now because theaters are only playing mostly kids movies in this era, Hollywood is afraid of rated R because adults don't go out because of the lack of disposable income. It's been heading this way for years. shyt like Robocop and horror movies being PG-13. When I was growing up it was nothing to see a bunch of rated R flicks in theaters.

2. He was asked about Marvel and gave his opinion. That's it. Then people came in here and got mad at his opinion including saying things like he's just a guy.. which is laughable. There's a reason why his opinion matters and most people's opinion means shyt.

:mjlol:

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
1. He couldn't get it funded "at the cost he wanted" and Netflix did it, Netflix has a lot of awards type movies they are buying up like Marriage Story etc. It's not "news" that streaming platforms are buying films and producing them now because theaters are only playing mostly kids movies in this era, Hollywood is afraid of rated R because adults don't go out because of the lack of disposable income. It's been heading this way for years. shyt like Robocop and horror movies being PG-13. When I was growing up it was nothing to see a bunch of rated R flicks in theaters.
Also China doesn't allow R-rated movies which makes them even more hesitant than they already were.