Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

TheDarceKnight

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Jiu Jitsu
Personally I am a big fan of his work but he is getting his,
giphy.gif

On. :yeshrug: Not one thing he said about them is accurate.
This.

I don't even really love Marvel flicks that much. I may have been one of the only people in America that didn't see Endgame the first few weeks it was out.

I like Scorsese's movies a lot, but I think his critique comes off pretentious. Marvel movies bring a lot of joy and entertainment to a lot of people, and they're well made. To make 20+ movies in 10 years that all are blended together and tell one story slowly the entire time, building up to a pretty epic climax---they did an incredible job and it may never be done again.

It's kind of lame to say they "aren't cinema." Just say they aren't your cup of tea and keep it moving.
:yeshrug:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Again, the two are not mutually exclusive. Scorsese is a 76 year old film nerd into preserving old films, so maybe he just doesn't fukk with mainstream blockbusters made for a different generation.

The biggest block busters are comic movies now. So anything about "mainstream blockbusters"....he was clearly talking about comic movies even if it was indirect.

And then he directly talked about them in the second interview.

How you think these two things are unconnected....it's mind boggling.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
:yeshrug: that's his prerogative, though. You can not like a genre as a whole but still be recognize a good or bad one in said genre.
However, the fact that he even sat down to even watch a few as he mentioned I think he is indifferent to the genre and watch on a case by case basis. To say he doesn't like comic book movies as a whole just because of his critique of the MCU films he saw is putting words in his mouth to fit a narrative that suits you.

What narrative? I don't give a fukk about any of these movies man. Like I said earlier in the thread, 90% of what I watch don't even come out in America.

shyt like "Aqua Man", "Justice League" and "Super Man" are in the same category as the MCU. Over hyped, over produced, summer blockbusters.
Cats act like he didn't shyt on summer block busters across the board in a previous interview....but nah, I'm sure he's a huge fan of "Wonder Woman" and "Venom". :gucci:

So nah, he clearly don't just mean the MCU. He used them as an example because they're the dominant force in that genre.
And you seriously think Martin Scorsese gives a fukk about "The Dark Knight" or "Logan"? :mjlol:

Fred.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
nobody will answer it. LOL
right, you won't get a good answer because comic book movies are obviously cinema too, just a cheap shot for who knows what reason.. I really don't get people who look down on others for their taste in movies/music/art etc. In the end it's just entertainment.
I partially Blame social media, nikkas taking themselves to seriously, pretentiousness, and the fact nikkas can be so impressionable. Mixx all that together. And you got nikkas like these in this thread.
Never knew there were so many pretentious people in here:hhh:
This is a forum filled with wannabe militant Martin's, Malcolm's, smart dumb nikkas, and wannabe intellectuals. Of course this forum was gonna be packed with "pretentious" ass nikkas:mjlol:

go in the booth and see how these nikkas post about anything that don't fit their def of hip hop.
It's practically the same thing they doin in this thread

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
The biggest block busters are comic movies now. So anything about "mainstream blockbusters"....he was clearly talking about comic movies even if it was indirect.

And then he directly talked about them in the second interview.

How you think these two things are unconnected....it's mind boggling.

Fred.

I don't think the things are completely unconnected. That's what "not mutually exclusive" means. I'm just saying him being Scorsese, I think more of it has to do with him being a film preservationist nerd. Go Google Scorsese talk about movies he loves and it will be a bunch of old shyt you never even heard of. So, again, why would an old ass man into old ass movies be into some superhero CGI fests lol...Did y'all really expect anything less from him? Guess what, a lot of directors are fukking film snobs. Do you really expect this old ass man to be into some shyt really for a younger generation?

And if he is a little bitter, so what? I can understand him being bitter. Dude has been making movies for fifty years, many of which are either timeless classics or big hits (which is something in itself, cuz most of his flicks are R-Rated)...he wants to make a new flick starring three iconic actors but the studios don't want cough up any money cuz De Niro, Pacino and Pesci aren't gonna be wearing capes? Sheeeeeeeit I'd be bitter too.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Let me also point out that The Irishman woulda got that studio gwap if he had cast Leo, Matt Damon and Brad Pitt instead of De Niro, Pacino and Pesci and the added budget of the de-aging process. But since he's being loyal to the dudes he worked with his entire career and is friends with, he gets the shaft? fukk that.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Because it’s true :yeshrug:

like a moth to flame they swarm to anything with a whiff of marvel scent to voice their displeasure, usually (and ironically) bordering on psychiatric levels of delusion and obsession like Phoenix’s Joker :megamarvel:

DC stans are like rednecks still rocking Confederate flags. That battle came and went and your side lost.

My point is I doubt he gives a fukk about comic movies, across the board.

The only reason he was thinking about exec producing "Joker", is it's not your typical comic movie. But cats came in the thread on some :umad: "he hates the MCU" like he gives a fukk about DC, or Sony movies. In light of his recent interview he clearly has disdain for the entire genre.

Fred.

Clearly he wasn't talking about such fine works of cinema like Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Shazam:troll:

Still FloW

Gawd Of Shinobi
Daps
Reppin
Inside K. Michelle's Box
DC stans are like rednecks still rocking Confederate flags. That battle came and went and your side lost.

Clearly he wasn't talking about such fine works of cinema like Aquaman, Suicide Squad and Shazam:troll:

and god forbid he was talking about the masterpiece that is thor 2 or captain marveL, oh shyt damn near the pitch perfect iron man 3 or crack from home.. mid-cu churning out mid for the past 10 years.. cinema :wow:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
and god forbid he was talking about the masterpiece that is thor 2 or captain marveL, oh shyt damn near the pitch perfect iron man 3 or crack from home.. mid-cu churning out mid for the past 10 years.. cinema :wow:

feelings were HURT and CAUGHT in this thread lmaoooooooooooooooooo

FixedCraftyGecko-size_restricted.gif