Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Thread would be 100x better if cats would stop being so disingenuous.

You know damn well even though he said Marvel he's also talking about shyt like "Venom", "Justice League", "Aqua Man", etc.

And hell, probably "Logan" and "The Dark Knight" too. He's just old and don't give enough of a fukk to differentiate between them all. Kinda like how old folks used to call every video game "Nintendo".

But yeah....it's Martin fukking Scorsese. The odds of him posted up in the crib enjoying "Wonder Woman" are zero. Stop acting like he just means Marvel movies.

Fred.
Doubt he watched any of the films you mentioned maybe Logan and the Dark Knight. But he had a bit of involvement with Joker.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
The guy who hired the Russo bros isn't into comic books...yet he works at Marvel lol. Why would you work there if you aren't into comics? The guy who hired the Russo bros isn't into comic books...yet he works at Marvel lol. Why would you work there if you aren't into comics? Oh yeah, to turn a big ass profit. See, isn't that kind of Scorsese's point?

Not hired.

Steven Soderbergh who was in talks with Marvel for a project helped them get the job because unlike him, they had a passion for the comics. And he wouldn't even put a word in for them til they showed him why they were interested beyond trying to turn a profit, so no, it's not Scorcese's point, at all.

Of course they wanted the movies to be successful but they were invested more in bringing the source material to life more than they were quadrants or whatever the fukk. And as I said, people were shedding tears in-theater so the whole human emotion argument is bunk too.

He mighta said the shyt bluntly and I don't agree with everything, but his overall point is moviemaking is an art and it becomes less about human experience/emotion when the studio people are solely about checking off all those quadrants to make as much money as possible. I get it, Hollywood is a business, but still - Scorsese's points aren't totally meritless either.

His point, the main point that we're arguing is him saying Marvel movies aren't cinema, which is bullshyt no matter how you frame it.

fukk him being Itallian, old or even a great director. He's salty that nobody besides Netflix, who is fighting for their life against the same company he just tried to invalidate, would give him Spider-man Far From Home money for his film, period point blank. And the only reason why we been going back and forth on this is because you said he wasn't worried about anything when he clearly is.

Last edited:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
He is also a huge Eminem fan. That's not to say Em doesn't have some talent but Em's music certainly lacks a lot of substance beyond a couple songs like funny enough "Stan" so that says to me this guy don't really look for substance to begin with. Which is fine for him but that couldn't be me.

This is funny lol

I'm a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger fan of 2pac than I am of Eminem, who I got into because I was writing rhymes and was inspired by his pen.

I also love quite a few Scorsese movies as much if not more than I love the Marvel flicks.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Not hired.

Steven Soderbergh who was in talks with Marvel for a project helped them get the job because unlike him, they had a passion for the comics. And he wouldn't even put a word in for them til they showed him why they were interested beyond trying to turn a profit, so no, it's not Scorcese's point, at all.

Okay I didn't know who you were talking about because you didn't clarify it was Soderbergh. Here's the bottom line though: Soderbergh put the word in for them, but he isn't the one sitting them down in a boardroom meeting going "Alright, Russo Bros, to get that China gwap, this is what's gonna have to happen in your movie" and then going through a checklist. Clearly the Russos were the best men for the job, but I'm just of the personal belief that when big corporations get involved in something that's an art form, a little bit of the heart and soul gets sucked out of the finished product. When you're following a formula, the shyt is always gonna end up being just a little bit formulaic. Even if its still mostly successful.

His point, the main point that we're arguing is him saying Marvel movies aren't cinema, which is bullshyt no matter how you frame it.

fukk him being Itallian, old or even a great director. He's salty that nobody besides Netflix, who is fighting for their life against the same company he just tried to invalidate, would give him Spider-man Far From Home money for his film, period point blank. And the only reason why we been going back and forth on this is because you said he wasn't worried about anything when he clearly is.

That's sad, though. It's sad that no one would give him the money when he's not just a great director but also a director whose films usually turns a profit. Shutter Island and Wolf of Wall Street made a lot of cake...then he's attaching three of the most legendary actors of all time to the new project, all working together for the first time ever, to sweeten the deal and they still don't want to put up the dough. If I put in fifty years into this thing and was then brushed aside for the current trends, I'd be fukking bitter too.

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
So now all movies aimed at kids (as well as adults) are inferior to movies just aimed at adults? Some of you just try too hard to be above it all.
Next we gonna have someone come in here and say they only watch documentaries that's how mature and elitist they are. :mjlol:
Some people literally take themselves as serious as that guy.

nikkas legit limit themselves with that thinking. Thinking they are "mature" not realizing how juvenile they really are.

I don't even like superheros. But that logic is so try hard and childish.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Doubt he watched any of the films you mentioned maybe Logan and the Dark Knight. But he had a bit of involvement with Joker.

My point is I doubt he gives a fukk about comic movies, across the board.

The only reason he was thinking about exec producing "Joker", is it's not your typical comic movie. But cats came in the thread on some :umad: "he hates the MCU" like he gives a fukk about DC, or Sony movies. In light of his recent interview he clearly has disdain for the entire genre.

Fred.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
That's not the interview everyone is talking about and you know it. The one that has all the Marvel dorks outraged is the Empire one. Stop trying to conflate two different interviews.

:martin:

:gucci:

C'mon man.

The highest grossing movie of all time is a comic book movie. "Aqua Man" did $1 billion. "Captain Marvel" did $1 billion. "Venom" did $900 mill or whatever. The MCU has 7 or 8 movies that did over $1 billion.

Dude did an interview talking about "yeah, there's too many blockbusters, my shyt couldn't get funded" and another interview talking about "comic movies aren't cinema"....and you seriously think the two are unrelated? :mjtf:

It's like....c'mon man. Connect the dots breh.

Fred.

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
Marvel maintains a certain level of control because they're telling a bigger story and need to maintain continuity. They can't bring someone in and have them steer off course like Rian did to Star Wars.

The directors they bring in still have their own vision within those constraints. You're telling me Gunn could have matched what Coogler did for Panther? Coogler could match him for Guardians? Taika's fingerprints aren't all over Ragnarok? Any of them could do what the Russo's did?

You act like they just show up and yell action with no input. Does this look like they're being controlled?:

They are clearly executing their vision.

That's not what he said and that's not why there is an issue. If he said he didn't like comic book movies that's not surprising anyone. The issue is saying they're not cinema. No one is debating what that man likes or dislikes. If that was case why was Howard Stern repeatedly asking RDJ the cinema question?

That’s one of the best parts about those complaints. nikkas complaining about there being continuity in a 20+ movie saga :dead:

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
:colehuh:

Why does it ALWAYS feel like its the ones other than the MARVEL fans that take this shyt the most serious?

:deadmanny:
Because it’s true :yeshrug:

like a moth to flame they swarm to anything with a whiff of marvel scent to voice their displeasure, usually (and ironically) bordering on psychiatric levels of delusion and obsession like Phoenix’s Joker :megamarvel:

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
My point is I doubt he gives a fukk about comic movies, across the board.

The only reason he was thinking about exec producing "Joker", is it's not your typical comic movie. But cats came in the thread on some :umad: "he hates the MCU" like he gives a fukk about DC, or Sony movies. In light of his recent interview he clearly has disdain for the entire genre.

Fred.
:yeshrug: that's his prerogative, though. You can not like a genre as a whole but still be recognize a good or bad one in said genre.
However, the fact that he even sat down to even watch a few as he mentioned I think he is indifferent to the genre and watch on a case by case basis. To say he doesn't like comic book movies as a whole just because of his critique of the MCU films he saw is putting words in his mouth to fit a narrative that suits you.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
:gucci:

C'mon man.

The highest grossing movie of all time is a comic book movie. "Aqua Man" did $1 billion. "Captain Marvel" did $1 billion. "Venom" did $900 mill or whatever. The MCU has 7 or 8 movies that did over $1 billion.

Dude did an interview talking about "yeah, there's too many blockbusters, my shyt couldn't get funded" and another interview talking about "comic movies aren't cinema"....and you seriously think the two are unrelated? :mjtf:

It's like....c'mon man. Connect the dots breh.

Fred.

Again, the two are not mutually exclusive. Scorsese is a 76 year old film nerd into preserving old films, so maybe he just doesn't fukk with mainstream blockbusters made for a different generation.