Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Might as well aim the bitterness at the type of movies the studios are making instead of they are making instead of his movie. Might as well aim it at Marvel Studios, because they are ones who changed the industry. :yeshrug:

And again, it's partly that, but more because he's an old school film nerd. Old school film nerds are gonna talk shyt about modern movies. Do you know how many French New Wave and indie directors bashed the shyt out of Spielberg because they thought he was too commercial?

And Netflix hasn't changed the industry? Marty has no problem doing business with them when directors like Spielberg and Nolan have been highly critical of their practices.

Netflix is seen as a threat to theaters. Dramas and movies like Marty makes are being passed to the small screen and audience are preferring to put their money up and leave the crib for "theme parks."

So his definition of fighting back is to take cinema off the cinema :picard:

Spielberg said Netflix movies should be up for Emmy's not Oscars:mjlol:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Nah, they were big hits - especially since they were both R-Rated movies.

Not saying Irishman woulda been broken box office records or anything, but I think it would have made its budget back at the very least. There's too much prestige on it for it to not be successful. Legendary director + legendary actors + great reviews = a lot of people would see it. Studios shouldn't think solely about what's gonna make them the most money possible, anyway. They should also think about making great movies that are gonna stand the test of time, and considering the reviews The Irishman is getting, it's gonna be one.
If they are big hits comic book movies are astronomical hits. And most Marvel movies are cheaper to make than the Irishman. Studios want to do more than make their budget back they want to triple or quadruple them with box office revenue. Prestige is not gonna increase shareholder wealth a movie that has a multiplier effect will. It's show business with a concentration on the latter. It's a rather easy choice in executive's eyes.:francis:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
And Netflix hasn't changed the industry? Marty has no problem doing business with them when directors like Spielberg and Nolan have been highly critical of their practices.

Netflix is seen as a threat to theaters. Dramas and movies like Marty makes are being passed to the small screen and audience are preferring to put their money up and leave the crib for "theme parks."

Damn, what a shot at Marty. lol

Osmosis

Superstar
Daps
Comic book movies are obviously cinema.. they're just bad cinema (for the most part).

Last edited:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps

Netflix has changed the industry, of course...but at least they are taking shots on movies other than your standard big blockbuster fare. They get props for that. They are giving great filmmakers like Scorsese, Cuaron, the Coens, Fincher and others shots to do their projects because it's somewhere to turn once the studios abandon them solely because they want to make movies for adults instead of adolescents...

If they are big hits comic book movies are astronomical hits. And most Marvel movies are cheaper to make than the Irishman. Studios want to do more than make their budget back they want to triple or quadruple them with box office revenue. Prestige is not gonna increase shareholder wealth a movie that has a multiplier effect will. It's show business with a concentration on the latter. It's a rather easy choice in executive's eyes.:francis:

Breh of course a PG-13 superhero flick is gonna make more money than a R-Rated movie about a Wall Street scumbag. Well, unless that superhero movie is Fantastic Four or Dark Phoenix :russ::huhldup:

And superhero movies aren't really cheaper - Endgame has a 356 million budget. Dark Phoenix has a 200 million budget. Both more than the Irishman. Irishman isn't cheap, but 160 is peanuts compared to what some of these new movies cost. If the studios can shell out money on bullshyt like Men In Black International (:mjlol:), they can fukk with the gawd Scorsese.

Your whole comment is really getting to the essence of what Scorsese is getting at, though. If studios are thinking SOLELY about shareholder wealth as opposed to crafting great movies, something is wrong. I can see why the artists would wanna fight that soulless shyt.

There are easy bets to make, sure, but sometimes putting your money on something unique and different can pay off. shyt like Get Out is a perfect example of that. Sure, it was a cheap bet, but still...

Comics started when he was a kid :troll:

:troll:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
How about the Marvel cats who took it to heart ? :mjlol:

I dunno, go ask them.

My point is it's goofy as hell to assume Scorsese of all people gives enough of a fukk about comic movies to differentiate between "Ant-man" and "Aqua Man". Especially in light of the fact that his whole rant seems predicated on not getting funding because comic movies took over.

Fred.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Netflix has changed the industry, of course...but at least they are taking shots on movies other than your standard big blockbuster fare. They get props for that. They are giving great filmmakers like Scorsese, Cuaron, the Coens, Fincher and others shots to do their projects because it's somewhere to turn once the studios abandon them solely because they want to make movies for adults instead of adolescents...

Breh of course a PG-13 superhero flick is gonna make more money than a R-Rated movie about a Wall Street scumbag. Well, unless that superhero movie is Fantastic Four or Dark Phoenix :russ::huhldup:

And superhero movies aren't really cheaper - Endgame has a 356 million budget. Dark Phoenix has a 200 million budget. Both more than the Irishman. Irishman isn't cheap, but 160 is peanuts compared to what some of these new movies cost. If the studios can shell out money on bullshyt like Men In Black International (:mjlol:), they can fukk with the gawd Scorsese.

Your whole comment is really getting to the essence of what Scorsese is getting at, though. If studios are thinking SOLELY about shareholder wealth as opposed to crafting great movies, something is wrong. I can see why the artists would wanna fight that soulless shyt.

There are easy bets to make, sure, but sometimes putting your money on something unique and different can pay off. shyt like Get Out is a perfect example of that. Sure, it was a cheap bet, but still...

:troll:
A mob movie period piece directed by Scorsese is original and unique now?! :mjlol:
And newsflash he got funded previously because the studio thought his movies would make money not for the art of it.
And artists make Marvel movies to you know unless you think Coogler, Favreau, Waititi, etc. are all hacks?
And studios still take chances on unique and original movies, just not Scorsese's. :francis:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
A mob movie period piece directed by Scorsese is original and unique now?! :mjlol:
And newsflash he got funded previously because the studio thought his movies would make money not for the art of it.
And artists make Marvel movies to you know unless you think Coogler, Favreau, Waititi, etc. are all hacks?
And studios still take chances on unique and original movies, just not Scorsese's. :francis:

Unique, for sure. No one makes movies like Scorsese. Directors have tried, like that Americsn Hustle shyt, but it's always gonna be a pale imitation.

And you're putting words in my mouth - I didn't say none of those dudes aren't artists. I'm just saying they are working under the fist of the studio. Personally, I just wanna see a return to the era where filmmakers have more control and the suits have less.

And stop acting like the studios know everything about everything. They don't. How long did it take for Deadpool to get made cuz no one thought it would work? Reynolds, the director and the writers fought for it for almost a decade - then it finally got through the system and was a huge hit.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Unique, for sure. No one makes movies like Scorsese. Directors have tried, like that Americsn Hustle shyt, but it's always gonna be a pale imitation.

And you're putting words in my mouth - I didn't say none of those dudes aren't artists. I'm just saying they are working under the fist of the studio. Personally, I just wanna see a return to the era where filmmakers have more control and the suits have less.

And stop acting like the studios know everything about everything. They don't. How long did it take for Deadpool to get made cuz no one thought it would work? Reynolds, the director and the writers fought for it for almost a decade - then it finally got through the system and was a huge hit.
I think you need to look up the word unique. lol Hopefully, they didn't use 'Gimme Shelter' in the score. :mjlol:
American Hustle is a well received movie.
Most director's say it is a pleasure working @ Marvel Studios not that they are under a fist. You just made that up. And when he was doing studio movies Marty wasn't under the fist of the studio ever? How convenient.
Not saying anything like that just giving you reasons why he isn't getting green lit. They moved on to younger talent willing to make their art @ a lower budget and are also unique and original.