Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
That's not what he said and that's not why there is an issue. If he said he didn't like comic book movies that's not surprising anyone. The issue is saying they're not cinema. No one is debating what that man likes or dislikes. If that was case why was Howard Stern repeatedly asking RDJ the cinema question?

If he doesn't think they are cinema, clearly he doesn't like them lol. And again, I disagree with him on that point, but I got a little newsflash for ya: old ass Italian men in their mid-70's usually say cranky shyt like that. :heh:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
They aren't all childish no however most aren't going to explore themes that other genres touch on so why do all movies have to appeal to kids? That's what some aren't understanding about streaming. If Netflix is gonna throw Scorsese the bag then cool, but he ain't gonna sacrifice his project to appeal to kids and he ain't gonna sacrifice his project to make sure theaters are happy with it.

Theaters don't like a movie being 4 hours long. Understandable because you can't maximize profit that way (it cuts down on number of showtimes) but on Netflix it doesn't matter how long it is.
Breh I don't care about how long a movie is...if it looks interesting or worthwhile to me I will go see it

I'm the cat that convinced two of his friends who watch all kinds of movies to go see "The Master" with him

They hated it. I was ambivalent. But I still went to go see it. It was well received by critics but didn't make that much. Still went to go see it.

I did'nt go see Aladdin and Lion King in the theaters. I did so because I already seen the animated versions, and was'nt that pressed to go see the lives ones. It wasn't because they are kids movies or because they aren't cinema.

I have'nt seen any of the post T2 Terminator movies in theaters...did'nt go see John Wick 2 or 3 in theaters

Sometimes it be like that...I have my interests and must sees and then there's some shyt where it's like ehhhh I ain't spending money on this.

I'm a big Tarantino fan, shyt I might be the only one in my circle who think he's a legend, but I did'nt go see his last flick. I wanted to but it was like ehhhhh.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
If he doesn't think they are cinema, clearly he doesn't like them lol. And again, I disagree with him on that point, but I got a little newsflash for ya: old ass Italian men in their mid-70's usually say cranky shyt like that. :heh:

:snoop:

Let me make this simple for you:

"I don't like fried chicken and collard greens."

"Fried chicken and collard greens are not food."

They're not the same statement.

2 Up 2 Down

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
A lot of what I’m going to say has probably been said but:

Marty is right to an extent. Not every comic book flick is reaching for deep emotional connection and won’t meet his definition of cinema. This is a guy who grew up on Lawrence of Arabia and the bridge on the river kwai. The movies of the 50s and 60s, specifically his influences, spoke a different language. And on the real? He’s earned the right to state his opinion on film in any way he wants to. His context of cinema isn’t the same as everyone else’s because of his generation.

On the flip side, movies like black panther or the dark knight or endgame or guardians contradict his point. They’re all about the human condition and emotions between characters and exploring how people relate to each other and differ and human conflict, not big bombastic conflict.

That said, I’m not getting my boxers in a bunch over it. The man is entitled to his opinion and that shyt doesn’t affect me either way. Has there been any comic book movie I’d put on the same level of goodfellas or taxi driver or raging bull? Nah. But that doesn’t mean they have any less value or aren’t dope. In the end, it’s how he feels and it is what it is. Let him cook
Don't think he has a problem with comic book based movies (he had some involvement in the Joker movie) just the MCU, which I can understand. They are kind of like the CW DC shows where they follow a similar template.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Breh I don't care about how long a movie is...if it looks interesting or worthwhile to me I will go see it

I'm the cat that convinced two of his friends who watch all kinds of movies to go see "The Master" with him

They hated it. I was ambivalent. But I still went to go see it. It was well received by critics but didn't make that much. Still went to go see it.

I did'nt go see Aladdin and Lion King in the theaters. I did so because I already seen the animated versions, and was'nt that pressed to go see the lives ones. It wasn't because they are kids movies or because they aren't cinema.

I didn't say you care I'm saying that's what theaters want. For the most part they want 2-2.5 hours and something that appeals to kids because that's the current state of the economy and the industry.

Remember when romantic comedies used to be a big business? They still are but they are being released on streaming platforms. They threw Adam Sandler the bag, this Marriage Story movie with Adam Driver and Scarlett J is gonna be a Netflix thing.

shyt, even El Camino is gonna be a Netflix thing.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
:snoop:

Let me make this simple for you:

"I don't like fried chicken and collard greens."

"Fried chicken and collard greens are not food."

They're not the same statement.

Ever heard of exaggeration for dramatic effect?

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Just a bitter old man yelling at the sky.
Movies are entertainment, when they made the first silent pictures and first talkies, it was about entertainment.
Superhero movies entertain and they aren't any less valued in this medium as any other shyt.

Martin can't make movies the masses want to see, so he attempts to attack the masses and those who make movies that can reach everyone, to justify his own value.
That is the issue with entertainers of all medium, then need audience validation and they hate that, because they want to believe in the lie that they do this for their own enjoyment, which is bullshyt. They do this because they want eyes on them, they want praise, they want/need public validation.
^^^^^^

This

And I'm one who does not like Superhero movies nor do I like superheros. The last Hero movie I saw was Black panther. And that was really the only one I saw in the past years.
I'm much more of a Scorsese fan and will watch his stuff anyway.

But this def comes off as biter and one of those acts you see all the time in entertainment. That are mad that another entity/act is more loved and cared about then them.
You see this in music, movies, art, literature etc .

Martin prolly in his feelings cause he came across some comment about his work and MCU:pachaha:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
And we are saying the exaggeration is unnecessary and reeks of elitism and snobbery. And we not using those adjectives for dramatic effect. lol

People usually use exaggeration to get other people upset. Seems like that tactic worked for Scorsese pretty well. :sas2:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I didn't say you care I'm saying that's what theaters want. For the most part they want 2-2.5 hours and something that appeals to kids because that's the current state of the economy and the industry.

Remember when romantic comedies used to be a big business? They still are but they are being released on streaming platforms. They threw Adam Sandler the bag, this Marriage Story movie with Adam Driver and Scarlett J is gonna be a Netflix thing.

shyt, even El Camino is gonna be a Netflix thing.
Then the issue IMO is with the studios and big business, not with the films themselves

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
But aint nobody upset but his old bitter ass.
:skip:

MARVEL gang be on here happy as can be.
Hoffa.
:callmemarvelstan:

You definitely upset. :mjlol:S'all good though, it does sting when people attack shyt you like.

But the argument that Scorsese doesn't sell tickets doesn't really fly. Most Scorsese flicks have turned profits. Wolf of Wall Street, a fukkin' R Rated movie, did almost 400 milly. He wouldn't be in this game for 50 years if his joints didn't sell tickets no matter how great the actual movies were itself.