Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
So now that you've been proven wrong..the real issue becomes which interview his his comments come from? You said he wasn't worried about anything and was just giving an honest opinion when asked. Meanwhile, his promo run for his 3 hour, 175 million dollar Netflix movie that can't get in major theaters around the country keeps coming back to him 'fighting back' against studios not trying to give him Marvel money for another mob movie.

Because they are different comments breh. The outrage from the Empire interview is about him saying he doesn't like Marvel movies. So what do you as a Marvel dork do? Dig up another interview where he's talking about the general state of the business. He can be worried about the business AND ALSO not personally like the Marvel movies as films. Those two opinions are not mutually exclusive. You realize he's allowed that, right? If the shyt isn't his cup of tea, it isn't his cup of tea. WTF you nerds so mad at that? Just keep enjoying them if you enjoy them.

Again, he's a 76 year old Italian into preserving old Hollywood/foreign movies and shyt. Why the fukk would he be into modern CGI superhero movies?

Comic book dorks are hilarious :mjlol:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
What flack? Nobody cares what some super stans have to say and RDJ and Sam are gonna defend their movies so it is what it is. You keep throwing the word "pretentious" around..

You feel any movie that doesn't appeal to kids is a pretentious work? Movies can appeal to kids all they want and yeah it's possible to appeal to both adults and children but some shyt shouldn't be made for kids, some issues kids aren't going to understand.. Sounds like you want everything to be dumb down so an 8-year old can understand it.
I would legit like you to point out where in any post that I have in this thread, where I have suggested something this absurd

I don't even think anyone in this thread has

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
@SunZoo Times have changed. A "date night" ain't gotta be anything but turning on Netflix :pachaha:

Movie theaters are struggling and part of that is because of a lack of disposable income and a part of that is because of streaming platforms.

If you have a kid and the kid wanna see Avengers then you gotta take his ass to Avengers.

What Scorsese said is a different issue. If a studio don't want to spend the money on the project he isn't going to undermine his own work to make it fit within the budget constraints. Netflix had no problem putting it on because Netflix is willing to spend the money, they are worth more than Viacom in of itself.. They are worth ten times a Viacom. More eyes will see The Irishman than damn near any film this year and Scorsese got his money to make his art. Everybody won.

I know how Netflix works fam lol

I'm also well aware that Netflix was a last resort for Scorsese's latest film, as per his own words. His 'fight' against Marvel/Disney is also Netflix's fight who has been caught up in bankruptcy/debt rumors all year while in the midst of having Disney (who owns Hulu as well) streaming service emerge as it's biggest competition.

They trying to tag team Marvel stans, we have to fight back at this practice. :mjcry:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Because they are different comments breh. The outrage from the Empire interview is about him saying he doesn't like Marvel movies. So what do you as a Marvel dork do? Dig up another interview where he's talking about the general state of the business. He can be worried about the business AND ALSO not personally like the Marvel movies as films. Those two opinions are not mutually exclusive. You realize he's allowed that, right? If the shyt isn't his cup of tea, it isn't his cup of tea. WTF you nerds so mad at that? Just keep enjoying them if you enjoy them.

Again, he's a 76 year old Italian into preserving old Hollywood/foreign movies and shyt. Why the fukk would he be into modern CGI superhero movies?

He can dislike whatever he wants but saying they are not cinema or don't convey emotions/psychology is just false. Why is he making up shyt if he is uneffected and doesn't care?

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.

Saying Marvel movies aren't cinema is quite a bit far beyond saying "I don't like them, i'm not into them". The cat that got the Russo's hired for Marvel said he's not a comic book guy and wouldn't make the call for them to get the gig til they explained why they were wanting to do the films beyond how much money they could make for it, they're artists and they happened to have had a 60,000 dollar comic collection so he put the word in and they had motherfukkers in crying literal tears in theaters....yet here comes this a$$hole, saying they aren't cinema and don't convey emotion to human beings, it was horseshyt.

And his horseshyt opinion is clearly influenced not just by the state of the overall industry but with him specifically, the "GOAT" having to drop his new masterpiece on Netflix instead of debuting in major theaters. That's facts.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
He can dislike whatever he wants but saying they are not cinema or don't convey emotions/psychology is just false. Why is he making up shyt if he is uneffected and doesn't care?

Like I said before, I disagree with him on them not being cinema. They are cinema. And of course the more daring, darker and weirder superhero movies like The Dark Knight, Black Panther, Logan, Watchmen, Deadpool, etc. do convey emotion. But when you get into the very mainstream Avengers side of things, I see his point. Those movies, along with other formulaic blockbusters, are designed to appeal to the most mass audience possible. And when you produce films SOLELY to make money in China or whatever, you start losing that personal artistic expression that should be the heart of any art form.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I would legit like you to point out where in any post that I have in this thread, where I have suggested something this absurd

I don't even think anyone in this thread has

I'm not going back through all the posts just know that there's some cats in here who don't even be posting in any other movie threads but Marvel :russ:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I'm not going back through all the posts just know that there's some cats in here who don't even be posting in any other movie threads but Marvel :russ:
I don't post in the Film Room that often because after the big split many years ago (when the Arcadium and The Film Room were one thing) I just stopped posting in here as much

Most of the movies ya'll discuss, I either lurk those threads or just give a dap and dip

I find this thread all very ironic because there are definitely multiple garbage MCU movies that were throwaways and just mindless action movies that you don't think too much about, but to categorize them all as childish tripe the way MS is doing is just a bit much but whatever

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Like I said before, I disagree with him on them not being cinema. They are cinema. And of course the more daring, darker and weirder superhero movies like The Dark Knight, Black Panther, Logan, Watchmen, Deadpool, etc. do convey emotion. But when you get into the very mainstream Avengers side of things, I see his point. Those movies, along with other formulaic blockbusters, are designed to appeal to the most mass audience possible. And when you produce films SOLELY to make money in China or whatever, you start losing that personal artistic expression that should be the heart of any art form.
Great so you agree with us. And I and many cried during the last Avengers which is the highest grossing movie ever so it is possible to do both. Not everything that makes money lacks artistic expression.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Huh? I agree with your first point, there are good big budget films that are artful. I didn't say there wasn't. Modern superhero movies however are much more formula/marketing driven than any of the films you mention.

Your second point Is wrong. Marvel has a set way of doing things. They have a filmmaking by committee approach where the producers exert a lot of control over the writing and direction. DC gives them more leeway, but come on its not like DC is a million miles away from the shyt Marvel does. They hire directors who will do what they want.

I'll take 'pretentious' over 'marvel fan'.

Marvel maintains a certain level of control because they're telling a bigger story and need to maintain continuity. They can't bring someone in and have them steer off course like Rian did to Star Wars.

The directors they bring in still have their own vision within those constraints. You're telling me Gunn could have matched what Coogler did for Panther? Coogler could match him for Guardians? Taika's fingerprints aren't all over Ragnarok? Any of them could do what the Russo's did?

You act like they just show up and yell action with no input. Does this look like they're being controlled?:

They are clearly executing their vision.

That's not what he said and that's not why there is an issue. If he said he didn't like comic book movies that's not surprising anyone. The issue is saying they're not cinema. No one is debating what that man likes or dislikes. If that was case why was Howard Stern repeatedly asking RDJ the cinema question?

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I find this thread all very ironic because there are definitely multiple garbage MCU movies that were throwaways and just mindless action movies that you don't think too much about, but to categorize them all as childish tripe the way MS is doing is just a bit much but whatever

They aren't all childish no however most aren't going to explore themes that other genres touch on so why do all movies have to appeal to kids? That's what some aren't understanding about streaming. If Netflix is gonna throw Scorsese the bag then cool, but he ain't gonna sacrifice his project to appeal to kids and he ain't gonna sacrifice his project to make sure theaters are happy with it.

Theaters don't like a movie being 4 hours long. Understandable because you can't maximize profit that way (it cuts down on number of showtimes) but on Netflix it doesn't matter how long it is.

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Saying Marvel movies aren't cinema is quite a bit far beyond saying "I don't like them, i'm not into them". The cat that got the Russo's hired for Marvel said he's not a comic book guy and wouldn't make the call for them to get the gig til they explained why they were wanting to do the films beyond how much money they could make for it, they're artists and they happened to have had a 60,000 dollar comic collection so he put the word in and they had motherfukkers in crying literal tears in theaters....yet here comes this a$$hole, saying they aren't cinema and don't convey emotion to human beings, it was horseshyt.

And his horseshyt opinion is clearly influenced not just by the state of the overall industry but with him specifically, the "GOAT" having to drop his new masterpiece on Netflix instead of debuting in major theaters. That's facts.

The guy who hired the Russo bros isn't into comic books...yet he works at Marvel lol. Why would you work there if you aren't into comics? Oh yeah, to turn a big ass profit. See, isn't that kind of Scorsese's point? He mighta said the shyt bluntly and I don't agree with everything, but his overall point is moviemaking is an art and it becomes less about human experience/emotion when the studio people are solely about checking off all those quadrants to make as much money as possible. I get it, Hollywood is a business, but still - Scorsese's points aren't totally meritless either. Also I don't think he's saying the Russo bros aren't talented or artists or anything like that. Then again the only big movie they did besides the Marvel ones is You, Me & Dupree...so...jus sayin...:huhldup:

Love how you put GOAT in quotation marks too. Not saying he is THE GOAT, but he's definitely one of the GOATS of this director shyt.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Love how you put GOAT in quotation marks too. Not saying he is THE GOAT, but he's definitely one of the GOATS of this director shyt.

He is also a huge Eminem fan. That's not to say Em doesn't have some talent but Em's music certainly lacks a lot of substance beyond a couple songs like funny enough "Stan" so that says to me this guy don't really look for substance to begin with. Which is fine for him but that couldn't be me.