Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Noticed they attack when JOKER broke records for an October R rated film.....

Coincidences don't exist. They gonna diss Todd Phillips or Joaquin Phoenix and undermine their work next. Their money train gonna get compared to JOKER from this day forward :mjgrin:

No one brought up Joker in this thread until you just did. What a leap in logic. :mjlol:
It got an October release box office record. Good for all involved. But uh look @ the scoreboard my G. Marvel movies are the highest grossing franchise ever with the highest grossing movie ever. No one is begrudging the Joker it's success.

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
There's a difference between the way horror and comedy is written, same with drama or sci-fi...and for them to be so adolescent in tone, they ain't just making money off kids when the source material from some of this stuff dates back to the 1930's and some of the genre defining films are rated R/not geared specifically toward children. Not every adult at these movies is dragging a 10 year old behind them.

You can be an adult and still not grow mentally beyond adolescense. Like I was saying before, it depends what fans you want when you create a piece of art. Studio execs at marvel want everyone, which means not alienating the huge percentage of the potential audience who are juvenile idiots.

I'm not saying all superhero movies or books are worthless, I'm making a generalization about the ways these films are made and marketed as it pertains to what Scorsese said.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
At this point it becomes an argument about semantics. I mean 'art' as a pure (or relatively pure) creative expression as opposed to a tacky money grubbing exercise.

There's a difference between the way a comic book is written and the way a studio movie is written. Even so, superhero comic are a formulaic starting point and are pretty adolescent in tone.
Again, this is pretentious as fukk, and it comes off as someone who doesn't really know much about comic books

What exactly is adolescent about "Watchmen" or "The Killing Joke"?

or the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline of Iron Man??

or "Civil War"?

X-Men is literally based on the Civil Rights movement of the 60's

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Again:

“We have to fight back at this practice of overwhelming the market with the blockbuster. The – how should I put it? – the regular film, that’s being edged out,” he said. “It has to go someplace because you know why? There are people that are going to continue to make them.”

The 76-year-old, who has not had a film financed by a major studio in 10 years, will also release his much-anticipated, $125 million (£98.6 million) mafia epic The Irishman in the fall after the streaming giant was the only studio prepared to finance it.

“No one else (wanted to finance it). No one else did,” he insisted. “We decided to make it with the understanding that it’ll maybe never be shown in theatres. They said, ‘You would have a time in theatres’ – a few weeks or whatever. I said fine.

Martin Scorsese: 'The blockbuster is edging out regular films'

You have one of the greatest film makers of all time, who can't get his movie made at any major studio being forced to take his sweet sweet cinema to Netflix conceding to the fact that it might have extremely limited theater showing if at all.

Sounds like he's plenty aggravated, even worried about the prospect that movie studios aren't going to hand people 175 million dollars (bigger budget than some of the most successful MCU films) for an art piece that ain't gonna bring in billions of dollars in return.

But yeah...just an off hand opinion, not him 'fighting back' or campaigning against anything.

:stopitslime:

That's not the interview everyone is talking about and you know it. The one that has all the Marvel dorks outraged is the Empire one. Stop trying to conflate two different interviews.

:martin:

ShaDynasty

Daps
Look who rode in on a high horse:francis:

There's art in big budget, blockbuster movies. Like any movie in any genre it depends on how well it's done and the care put into it. There's "high art" movies that suck so do they deserve to be valued more than a great spectacle? There's action movies with incredible fight choreography and that's art. The T Rex scene in the first Jurassic Park is art. Get Out is art. T2 is Art. Winter Soldier is art. The Raid is art.

There's different levels depending on the ability of the artist creating the product but it's all art.

Directors are not interchangable on a big budget movie. You want proof of that just ask them Coli DC boys about Snyder vs Whedon:mjgrin:. Why is everyone mad at Rian Johnson?

Never knew there were so many pretentious people in here:hhh:

Huh? I agree with your first point, there are good big budget films that are artful. I didn't say there wasn't. Modern superhero movies however are much more formula/marketing driven than any of the films you mention.

Your second point Is wrong. Marvel has a set way of doing things. They have a filmmaking by committee approach where the producers exert a lot of control over the writing and direction. DC gives them more leeway, but come on its not like DC is a million miles away from the shyt Marvel does. They hire directors who will do what they want.

I'll take 'pretentious' over 'marvel fan'.

ShaDynasty

Daps
Again, this is pretentious as fukk, and it comes off as someone who doesn't really know much about comic books

What exactly is adolescent about "Watchmen" or "The Killing Joke"?

or the "Demon in a Bottle" storyline of Iron Man??

or "Civil War"?

X-Men is literally based on the Civil Rights movement of the 60's

I knew somebody would say something like this, I was generalizing. Are Watchmen or Killing Joke representative of 90% of superhero movies/books? fukk no. Think of a better argument.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
@SunZoo Times have changed. A "date night" ain't gotta be anything but turning on Netflix :pachaha:

Movie theaters are struggling and part of that is because of a lack of disposable income and a part of that is because of streaming platforms.

If you have a kid and the kid wanna see Avengers then you gotta take his ass to Avengers.

What Scorsese said is a different issue. If a studio don't want to spend the money on the project he isn't going to undermine his own work to make it fit within the budget constraints. Netflix had no problem putting it on because Netflix is willing to spend the money, they are worth more than Viacom in of itself.. They are worth ten times a Viacom. More eyes will see The Irishman than damn near any film this year and Scorsese got his money to make his art. Everybody won.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
I knew somebody would say something like this, I was generalizing. Are Watchmen or Killing Joke representative of 90% of superhero movies/books? fukk no. Think of a better argument.
The industry has been moving towards a more serious tone across all titles since the late 70's breh

In fact both DC and Marvel have had separate lines that cater to younger audiences for about 2 decades now

You might be just a bit out of touch

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
I'll never forget my girl wanted to see Big Hero 6 and I said " :ehh: it looks good for a kids movie" I'm not gonna act like I knew much about the comic.

It was one of the worst experiences ever. Parents and their kids not shutting the fukk up the entire time. Their kids running around the theater, nobody controlling them.

I don't give a shyt about a movie reaching four quadrants.. I'm not a child :manny:

Some of you "grown men" in here are not men at all.. you're no different than the kids at Big Hero 6 :pachaha:

ShaDynasty

Daps
The industry has been moving towards a more serious tone across all titles since the late 70's breh

In fact both DC and Marvel have had separate lines that cater to younger audiences for about 2 decades now

You might be just a bit out of touch

Just having a serious tone doesn't necessarily mean that they're mature or intelligent. And just as many of these movies have a very unserious tone anyway.

Sterling Archer

Spider Mane
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
_2yqMV.gif

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Just having a serious tone doesn't necessarily mean that they're mature or intelligent. And just as many of these movies have a very unserious tone anyway.
This is extremely pretentious breh...by this logic, no action movies or adventure movies should be made because 90% of the shyt that occurs in them is illogical and unrealistic

It's a slippery slope, which is exactly why Scorsese is getting flack for it, because as an artist, he should know better

Also maturity and intelligence is completely subjective...if you don't like comics just say so breh but you're not making any sense

I can understand if you were talking Howard the Duck or some shyt but X-Men, The Avengers, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, damn near every major property across both companies have used real world shyt in order to form their storylines and ideas for the past 30+ years.

Pick one and we can discuss but don't say it's immature or unintelligent because again, you sound like you don't know what you're talking about

Last edited:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
That's not the interview everyone is talking about and you know it. The one that has all the Marvel dorks outraged is the Empire one. Stop trying to conflate two different interviews.

:martin:

So now that you've been proven wrong..the real issue becomes which interview his his comments come from? You said he wasn't worried about anything and was just giving an honest opinion when asked. Meanwhile, his promo run for his 3 hour, 175 million dollar Netflix movie that can't get in major theaters around the country keeps coming back to him 'fighting back' against studios not trying to give him Marvel money for another mob movie.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
It's a slippery slope, which is exactly why Scorsese is getting flack for it

What flack? Nobody cares what some super stans have to say and RDJ and Sam are gonna defend their movies so it is what it is. You keep throwing the word "pretentious" around..

You feel any movie that doesn't appeal to kids is a pretentious work? Movies can appeal to kids all they want and yeah it's possible to appeal to both adults and children but some shyt shouldn't be made for kids, some issues kids aren't going to understand.. Sounds like you want everything to be dumb down so an 8-year old can understand it.