Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
Also, I don't think he's worried about anything. He was asked about them in an interview and he gave his honest opinion. :yeshrug:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
They asked him a question and he gave his opinion and then you got mad. That's the chain of events :mjlol:
but see, you dont understand that i dont give a fukk that they asked him a question.
and then he answered that question.
because i dont live in the realm of logic.
and a talking Tree and Racc00n woulda been FAR better casted for Ace and Nicky.
old outa touch, fake mobster piece of shyt.
:camby:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Send in the clowns.......

Noticed they attack when JOKER broke records for an October R rated film.....

Coincidences don't exist. They gonna diss Todd Phillips or Joaquin Phoenix and undermine their work next. Their money train gonna get compared to JOKER from this day forward :mjgrin:

ThirdAct

Superstar
Daps
but see, you dont understand that i dont give a fukk that they asked him a question.
and then he answered that question.
because i dont live in the realm of logic.
and a talking Tree and Racc00n woulda been FAR better casted for Ace and Nicky.
old outa touch, fake mobster piece of shyt.
:camby:

source.gif

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
Noticed they attack when JOKER broke records for an October R rated film.....

Coincidences don't exist. They gonna diss Todd Phillips or Joaquin Phoenix and undermine their work next. Their money train gonna get compared to JOKER from this day forward :mjgrin:

Coincidence that Joker is basically a 2019 Taxi Driver/King Of Comedy? Scorsese was actually involved with that film at one point, and its clearly one of those exceptions that prove the rule.

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
What fans do you want to watch your movies? If you want a large audience then you have to compromise your art, dont put anything offensive in, and don't put in anything too complex that some people won't understand.

These films are money machines, completely artless. There are some exceptions, but they are just exceptions.

Hey, capitalism.
They are literally films based on comic books...art...

ShaDynasty

Chaos Theory Part 1 - The Album
Daps
They are literally films based on comic books...art...

At this point it becomes an argument about semantics. I mean 'art' as a pure (or relatively pure) creative expression as opposed to a tacky money grubbing exercise.

There's a difference between the way a comic book is written and the way a studio movie is written. Even so, superhero comic are a formulaic starting point and are pretty adolescent in tone.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
At this point it becomes an argument about semantics. I mean 'art' as a pure (or relatively pure) creative expression as opposed to a tacky money grubbing exercise.

There's a difference between the way a comic book is written and the way a studio movie is written. Even so, superhero comic are a formulaic starting point and are pretty adolescent in tone.

There's a difference between the way horror and comedy is written, same with drama or sci-fi...and for them to be so adolescent in tone, they ain't just making money off kids when the source material from some of this stuff dates back to the 1930's and some of the genre defining films are rated R/not geared specifically toward children. Not every adult at these movies is dragging a 10 year old behind them.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
What fans do you want to watch your movies? If you want a large audience then you have to compromise your art, dont put anything offensive in, and don't put in anything too complex that some people won't understand.

These films are money machines, completely artless. There are some exceptions, but they are just exceptions.

Hey, capitalism.

Scorsese is one of the greatest directors of all time. I respect his opinion when it comes to this.

I mean who even gives a shyt who directed Aquaman or Captain Marvel, it could have been anyone.

Look who rode in on a high horse:francis:

There's art in big budget, blockbuster movies. Like any movie in any genre it depends on how well it's done and the care put into it. There's "high art" movies that suck so do they deserve to be valued more than a great spectacle? There's action movies with incredible fight choreography and that's art. The T Rex scene in the first Jurassic Park is art. Get Out is art. T2 is Art. Winter Soldier is art. The Raid is art.

There's different levels depending on the ability of the artist creating the product but it's all art.

Directors are not interchangable on a big budget movie. You want proof of that just ask them Coli DC boys about Snyder vs Whedon:mjgrin:. Why is everyone mad at Rian Johnson?

Never knew there were so many pretentious people in here:hhh:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Also, I don't think he's worried about anything. He was asked about them in an interview and he gave his honest opinion. :yeshrug:

Again:

“We have to fight back at this practice of overwhelming the market with the blockbuster. The – how should I put it? – the regular film, that’s being edged out,” he said. “It has to go someplace because you know why? There are people that are going to continue to make them.”

The 76-year-old, who has not had a film financed by a major studio in 10 years, will also release his much-anticipated, $125 million (£98.6 million) mafia epic The Irishman in the fall after the streaming giant was the only studio prepared to finance it.

“No one else (wanted to finance it). No one else did,” he insisted. “We decided to make it with the understanding that it’ll maybe never be shown in theatres. They said, ‘You would have a time in theatres’ – a few weeks or whatever. I said fine.

Martin Scorsese: 'The blockbuster is edging out regular films'

You have one of the greatest film makers of all time, who can't get his movie made at any major studio being forced to take his sweet sweet cinema to Netflix conceding to the fact that it might have extremely limited theater showing if at all.

Sounds like he's plenty aggravated, even worried about the prospect that movie studios aren't going to hand people 175 million dollars (bigger budget than some of the most successful MCU films) for an art piece that ain't gonna bring in billions of dollars in return.

But yeah...just an off hand opinion, not him 'fighting back' or campaigning against anything.

:stopitslime: