Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:what:

Take away Marvel and ask those same questions. The vast majority of actors aren't those you named. The vast majority of movies are garbage to mediocre.

Why does everyone want to pretend like Hollywood was doing so well before comic book movies took off?

A motion picture shown in a theater is cinema. Why add your opinion to it? Who decides whether a movie stands the test of time?

Scorcese got y'all jumping out the window with these takes:heh:
17 Oscar-winning actors who have starred in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

:comeon:

Brad Pitt was "The Vanisher" in DeadPool 2.

And if you're talking about Smith as in Will Smith, he was in Suicide Squad.

Cate Blanchett was Hela in Thor.

:mjlol:

edit: Clooney
MV5BMGQ5YTM1NmMtYmIxYy00N2VmLWJhZTYtN2EwYTY3MWFhOTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA2NTI0MTY@._V1_.jpg

But these were ensemble movies right? Yes they a-lister wasn't the main attraction as well. What I'm saying is that just the way everything has been subsumed by marvel, the actors that work in these project will finder it harder to separate themselves from the characters they play and thus make a name for themselves. Just one example of what Martin is talking about. If everything is the same, what is the uniqueness?

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
The man gave a couple quotes that had all of social media in a frenzy and ninjas saying “he’s just some guy” “his opinion ain’t worth more than yours or mine”:dead:

Ninjas are hurt. It’s alright. Y’all sound like when people were calling Chapelle irrelevant because they didn’t like him going at certain groups in his last special.:heh:

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC
Spielberg and Lucas have said the same shyt. Several dozen filmmakers have said the same shyt. People on this board have said the same shyt. Him giving his personal feelings about those flicks aren’t going to stop them from getting money lol. Again I don’t see why anyone would assume Martin Scorsese would be into comic book flicks or even want to direct them (which is what empire asked him). Look at that mans body of work and tell me if you really think that’s his cup of tea.

He feels the way a lot of people do and says what Lucas and Spielberg said years ago: movie studios are investing a lot in blockbusters and smaller movies not based on a property or a remake or reboot don’t get a lot of room to breathe or even a chance to be made. Studios want safe bets now and the original movies people claim they love aren’t making the bread because they’re not getting the same amount of real estate. So when studios invest all of their money in blockbusters and if those blockbusters underperform, that means no money for smaller flicks that don’t cost 200 plus to make. So Netflix and amazon and Hulu fill that void

Swear ive seen that thread made a good number of times in here about people tired of reboots and remakes :jbhmm:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The man gave a couple quotes that had all of social media in a frenzy and ninjas saying “he’s just some guy” “his opinion ain’t worth more than yours or mine”:dead:

Ninjas are hurt. It’s alright. Y’all sound like when people were calling Chapelle irrelevant because they didn’t like him going at certain groups in his last special.:heh:
We're hurt but he's not? Saying baseless shyt like, " It isn’t the cinema of human beings trying to convey emotional, psychological experiences to another human being.” sounds like someone wildly exaggerating to put down a movie franchise. Why?
He can say it and we can disagree. This is a messageboard after all. I believe we are using it for it's intended purpose. :yeshrug:

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Mods please make a separate section, we need this split into the cinema room and movie room. The film room doesn’t apply they are different :troll:

Where will we put the theme park stuff?:jbhmm:

The movie distinction only applies to Marvel and DC is inherently cinema, right?:jbhmm:

If something in the cinema section doesn't stand the test of time does the thread get moved to the movie section?:jbhmm:

Should we put artsy, high brow stuff in the film section, wait a few years to see if it stands the test of time, and then move it to the cinema section?:jbhmm:

If the artsy, high brow stuff isn't a good film does it get downgraded to a movie?:jbhmm:

Matter of fact, I think we might need new mods who are qualified to make these distinctions. A degree in film studies and maybe 1-2 experience in the industry should suffice. Perhaps someone from the Academy can assist us:jbhmm:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Where will we put the theme park stuff?:jbhmm:

The movie distinction only applies to Marvel and DC is inherently cinema, right?:jbhmm:

If something in the cinema section doesn't stand the test of time does the thread get moved to the movie section?:jbhmm:

Should we put artsy, high brow stuff in the film section, wait a few years to see if it stands the test of time, and then move it to the cinema section?:jbhmm:

If the artsy, high brow stuff isn't a good film does it get downgraded to a movie?:jbhmm:

Matter of fact, I think we might need new mods who are qualified to make these distinctions. A degree in film studies and maybe 1-2 experience in the industry should suffice. Perhaps someone from the Academy can assist us:jbhmm:
This site has too many Black people for the academy to get involved. :lolbron: