Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Look, how many careers are being propped up by Marvel right now? how many of these people will still be around after they have exhausted the 2nd and 3rd phases. Even ScarJo was on her way out before black widow, had Emily Blunt not pulled out she might be a TV actress right now. That's the point. You guys can say he's salty or whatever, but the Marvel Universe plays directly into the franchise over face model of movies. It's turned the film industry into fast food. It was't even this bad during the studio system. How many of these actors are a Pitt, Smith, DeNiro, DiCaprio, Clooney, Roberts, Foster, Hanks, Goldberg, Streep, Blanchett, Washington? How many Marvel stories will be considered classics 10 yeras from now and not in the dollar isle at the grocery store or Walmart?
I mean other types of movies come out but the general audience doesn't turn out. If Marvel is fast food why isn't anyone else able to cook a good meal and show an alternative? People downgrade it but it's dominating the landscape for a reason.
I saw The Favourite recently. A critically acclaimed nominated movie. I'm sorry, it pretty much sucked and the ending was the most unsatisfying thing ever.
A lot of things are propped up and won't be considered all that years from now.

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Chefs eat burgers, hot dogs, fries, and regular things all the time. You think they get foie gras at a baseball game? :heh:

The Gordon Ramsey thing is especially :dahell: because if he was a director he'd 100% like (or at least respect) comic movies.

This is the same dude that took his chef staff to a hot dog stand because he wanted to show them there's different lanes for different types of people. Not everyone is a chef and not everyone wants to be a chef....and not everyone wants chef prepared food 24/7/365. Take what he said and apply it to movies of all kinds.

Fred.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
The rap analogy addresses the issue though. You got people in here just saying "its martin fukkin scorcese" like that addresses the topic.
The rap analogy is trash. Hip hop has a specific cultural appeal and contains tons of variety so its impossible to paint the whole genre. Comic book movies are big budget commercial products, mass produced by 2 giant corporations. If anything they should be compared to Lou Perlman style boy band POP MUSIC

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
He’s right , it’s not cinema.

But I respect the special effects and cinematography.

Just came out of joker, an amazing movie and it gave a nod to Kings of Comedy and Taxi Driver.

I respect the money these marvel movies are making but it’s making Hollywood cannibalize themselves. With so quick to back these films instead of taking risks we may never get another taxi driver or kings of comedy...we may never get anymore films that inspire “Jokers”.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
The rap analogy is trash. Hip hop has a specific cultural appeal and contains tons of variety so its impossible to paint the whole genre. Comic book movies are big budget commercial products, mass produced by 2 giant corporations. If anything they should be compared to Lou Perlman style boy band POP MUSIC
Did you read the analogy? I compared the entire movie industry to Hip Hop not just comic book movies.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
a lot of your favorite fake-deep shyt is produced by big budget corporations. At the end of the day comic book movies are still movies just like his shyt. At the end of the day that boy band shyt is still music. Like I said, it would be like a composer telling rappers their shyt isn't music when it clearly is. It's some pretentious elitist bullshyt stemming from jealousy.

boskey

Top Rankin
Daps
Did you read the analogy? I compared the entire movie industry to Hip Hop not just comic book movies.
Where is it? I was responding to the "They used to say rap wasn't music" posts on the first couple pages

AquaCityBoy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Jodie Foster said the same thing.

Which was hilarious because she directed the single worst episode in Black Mirror history. :mjlol:

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
How many of these actors are a Pitt, Smith, DeNiro, DiCaprio, Clooney, Roberts, Foster, Hanks, Goldberg, Streep, Blanchett, Washington?
17 Oscar-winning actors who have starred in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

17 Oscar-winning actors who have starred in the Marvel Cinematic Universe
:comeon:

Brad Pitt was "The Vanisher" in DeadPool 2.

And if you're talking about Smith as in Will Smith, he was in Suicide Squad.

Cate Blanchett was Hela in Thor.

:mjlol:

edit: Clooney
MV5BMGQ5YTM1NmMtYmIxYy00N2VmLWJhZTYtN2EwYTY3MWFhOTczXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTA2NTI0MTY@._V1_.jpg

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Where is it? I was responding to the "They used to say rap wasn't music" posts on the first couple pages
My bad thought you were talking about this:
All of that is subjective. There is no difference. If you like one film better than another because of these fine. But both are cinema.
This reminds me of the underground rap nerds talking about 'real hip hop'. I fell for that shyt for a long time. But really it is all real from Puffy , Marky Mark and Will Smith to MF Doom, Juggaknots and Freestyle Fellowship. It's all Hip Hop but more people like one over the other. It's really just a trick to elevate something that's not that popular. People just have a hard time dealing with the fact that what they like isn't popular so they come up with shyt like this.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
a lot of your favorite fake-deep shyt is produced by big budget corporations. At the end of the day comic book movies are still movies just like his shyt. At the end of the day that boy band shyt is still music. Like I said, it would be like a composer telling rappers their shyt isn't music when it clearly is. It's some pretentious elitist bullshyt stemming from jealousy.
Still don’t understand what he has to be envious about in this sense. The man can make any movie he wants at this point, he’s got awards on the shelf, made millions, and made flicks people have talked about for 40 years now. He’s going down in history as one of the greatest of all time. Someone asked his opinion and he gave it. You can have that opinion without any ill will. A lot of us have opinions on movies and music and tv shows but don’t feel envious about the shyt. I think a lot of rap nikkas are wack but in no way do I want their lives lol. But if someone asks me how I feel about any rapper, I’m going to give my opinion.

Last edited: