Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

GMoney

Nostalgia Junkie
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Abundance
Marvel movies are just long-form commercials meant to sell tie-in products. The popularity of the MCU is a PROBLEM because it signals to all the other suits that they need to do the same and we get all these horrible, lower-grade MCU copycats. The MCU copies along with all the reboots and remakes will eventually tank like all the colorful musicals and westerns of the 50s became passe. So much fanfare garbage being thought up right now.

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
The MCU along with all the reboots and remakes will eventually tank like all the colorful musicals and westerns of the 50s became passe.

You cats been saying this for literally a decade. It's not happening any time soon. Not just the MCU, any comic movie. They're gonna continue to make bank for the foreseable future because that's what people want.

Fred.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I respect his work and the fact that he's good at his job but that doesn't mean his opinion matters more than everyone elses :yeshrug:
Conversely, this simple fact makes the idea this was “news” laughable and ridiculous. Headline may as well been “person doesn’t like something you like”

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Conversely, this simple fact makes the idea this was “news” laughable and ridiculous. Headline may as well been “person doesn’t like something you like”
It's clickbait and these journalist keep going up to these legends and asking them about Marvel movies because they know they can get a juicy sentence or two out of them. Notice you never get the audio of these "controversial" comments. Wouldn't want people being able to infer the actual intent to get in the way of the ad revenue.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
It's clickbait and these journalist keep going up to these legends and asking them about Marvel movies because they know they can get a juicy sentence or two out of them. Notice you never get the audio of these "controversial" comments. Wouldn't want people being able to infer the actual intent to get in the way of the ad revenue.
Even if we had the audio, it preys on the maturity of the audience. You’re grown. You shouldn’t care that someone doesn’t like what you like :russ: who the fukk cares? Like what you like and if someone else doesn’t, oh well. What they eat don’t make you shyt

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Gate keeping pure & simple. Watching infinity war & endgame at the cinema with friends & family was one of the most memorable events of my life.

If that isn’t cinema I don’t know what is.

Then 3 Strikes is cinema too. I think of cinema as films that will stand the test of time. More than 80% of the Marvel catalog has already come and gone.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Comicbook movies will eventually go the way of the western. But not for a long time. you basically gotta wait until all the comic book fans get old, like the western fans did.
Hollywood isn't suddenly decide to stop taking our money if thats what we want to see, we gotta stop going to the movies for hollywood to change. and right now the core majority audience of comicbook fandom is in the 20 to 40 year old range. All the kids that grew up watching the cartoons and reading the comics during the 90s.
We're still gonna be packing movie theaters for at least another 20 to 30 years, before age makes us say, nah i'm staying home so i have easy bathroom access during those 2 hours.

Last edited:

the next guy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look, how many careers are being propped up by Marvel right now? how many of these people will still be around after they have exhausted the 2nd and 3rd phases. Even ScarJo was on her way out before black widow, had Emily Blunt not pulled out she might be a TV actress right now. That's the point. You guys can say he's salty or whatever, but the Marvel Universe plays directly into the franchise over face model of movies. It's turned the film industry into fast food. It was't even this bad during the studio system. How many of these actors are a Pitt, Smith, DeNiro, DiCaprio, Clooney, Roberts, Foster, Hanks, Goldberg, Streep, Blanchett, Washington? How many Marvel stories will be considered classics 10 yeras from now and not in the dollar isle at the grocery store or Walmart?

Last edited:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Marvel movies are just long-form commercials meant to sell tie-in products. The popularity of the MCU is a PROBLEM because it signals to all the other suits that need to try to do the same and we get all these horrible, lower-grade MCU copycats. The MCU copies along with all the reboots and remakes will eventually tank like all the colorful musicals and westerns of the 50s became passe. So much fanfare garbage being thought up right now.

I see the whole western comparison and I used to buy it but I don't think it really works. A western is a western...while you can tweak it somewhat, it's way easier to take source material from comics and actually genre specific films.

Supa

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its not that serious guys, do y’all expect Gordon Ramsey to enjoy a Popeyes chicken sandwich :mjlol:

Chefs eat burgers, hot dogs, fries, and regular things all the time. You think they get foie gras at a baseball game? :heh:

Some People here are on some serious drugs. Scorcese made the mob flicks for what they are and raised the quality of acting for many Hollywood Legends, but people in this thread act like he wasnt making classic films for 40+ years. :dwillhuh:

What happened to the industry? For MCU cult addicts even talk about this, is absurd. Even Kevin Fiege is like " :whoa: Calm down guys, I know you love all the films I produced, but Scorcese is a bonafied legend and you must pay respect for him"

Didnt Samuel L Jackson got his brains blown out in a Scorcese flick? :jbhmm:

Y'all keep framing this as an MCU thing.
You think he's not taking about all comic book movies?:mjtf:

Scorcese is being an elitist, pretentious gatekeeper. His reputation doesn't make him right. If he had certain issues with the genre that's one thing but to dictate what is and isn't cinema is not something he gets to do.

He didn't even see any of the movies :what:

Last edited: