Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
There is a difference in the cinematic language from what a director does in another studio compared to when they are with Marvel.

You can still see traces of their work, but it seems somewhat suppressed Its not that the movies aren't good/great...but why must the look and feel not be different?

I mean look at how visually arresting the directors work are outside the MCU is compared to their work inside

Kenneth Branagh

Ryan Coogler

Jon Watts

James Gunn

Ryan Fleck/Anna Bolden

Yet in the MCU (outside of maybe Black Panther) all the movies look the same. Thats why Scorsese can't mentally get past that to see the good story telling, etc...cause its too stripped down for a OG like him. Doesn't make him right, but I get his perspective.

Last edited:

TheAlbionist

All Star
Daps
Reppin
London
He's right.

The only reason I have any idea about any of these movies is because I have an 11 year old nephew. I watch occasionally, but I wouldn't on my own. There's actual movies made for actual functioning adults out there too, you know?

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
He's right.

The only reason I have any idea about any of these movies is because I have an 11 year old nephew. I watch occasionally, but I wouldn't on my own. There's actual movies made for actual functioning adults out there too, you know?
So now all movies aimed at kids (as well as adults) are inferior to movies just aimed at adults? Some of you just try too hard to be above it all.
Next we gonna have someone come in here and say they only watch documentaries that's how mature and elitist they are. :mjlol:

BXKingPin82

The Chairman of the Board will be... The Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bronx NY
So now all movies aimed at kids (as well as adults) are inferior to movies just aimed at adults? Some of you just try too hard to be above it all.
Next we gonna have someone come in here and say they only watch documentaries that's how mature and elitist they are. :mjlol:
Whats funny as hell to me tho, is if there aint some thread with the potential to be some MCU vs DCU shyt you dont be seeing half of these muthafukkas in ANY OTHER MOVIE THREAD!
:deadmanny:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Thread would be 100x better if cats would stop being so disingenuous.

You know damn well even though he said Marvel he's also talking about shyt like "Venom", "Justice League", "Aqua Man", etc.

And hell, probably "Logan" and "The Dark Knight" too. He's just old and don't give enough of a fukk to differentiate between them all. Kinda like how old folks used to call every video game "Nintendo".

But yeah....it's Martin fukking Scorsese. The odds of him posted up in the crib enjoying "Wonder Woman" are zero. Stop acting like he just means Marvel movies.

Fred.

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
I’m not trying to watch gay ass pretentious art house movies everyday. I want to see mindless action sometimes.
"We aint graduate from school nikka...them plotlines aint cool nikka!"

Lupe-Fiasco-Dumb-It-Down.gif

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Its not that serious guys, do y’all expect Gordon Ramsey to enjoy a Popeyes chicken sandwich :mjlol:

Not Popeyes specifically but Gordon Ramsey is definitely not against fast food. Dude said he will literally eat a pile of In N Out burgers:

There's a time and a place for everything.

Fred.