Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
That's not an answer just some 'oh you are not smart as smart as me' elitist bullshyt. Dude, you are not elite trust me. :mjlol:

Idiot, Scorsese invented a lot of film techniques you see today and you are in here claiming he doesn't know what he's talking about. You are foolish.

sunny80

All Star
Daps
Hmm . . . don't people involved in an industry have a hard time being unbiased or self-interested? Regardless the ethics of a job we all battle with being ethical vs maximizing our earning power.
So one of your examples, what if Nas is reviewing Dave East's album who we know he directly benefits from this artist or he is reviewing an artist we don't know he doesn't like from a business or personal experience he has had with them. On face value he might seem to be giving his honest opinion but there are other things going on besides a review of an album. Because of the unknown of a situation from an 'expert' observers may even downgrade someone in an industry versus a disinterested party.
His experience in the business alone allows him to speak on things within his industry. As a fan, your opinion barely holds any weight compared to his.

You have a pic of a guy with a Talos mask as your avatar. Hence you are an offended Marvel fan. Of course you would argue anyone in the thread down about how you feel Scorsese is wrong. That is expected from you.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
His experience in the business alone allows him to speak on things within his industry. As a fan, your opinion barely holds any weight compared to his.

You have a pic of a guy with a Talos mask as your avatar. Hence you are an offended Marvel fan. Of course you would argue anyone in the thread down about how you feel Scorsese is wrong. That is expected from you.
My personal opinion holds more weight with me more than what anyone says. How about you? Yes, I decided to express it on a messageboard when presented with an opposing opinion by a well known director.
Glad you watched Captain Marvel or Spiderman Far From Home and recognize the character in my avatar.:mjgrin:
Yes, I like Marvel movies and consider them part of the brilliant history of movie making cinema. Is that bad? :picard:

sunny80

All Star
Daps
My personal opinion holds more weight with me more than what anyone says. How about you? Yes, I decided to express it on a messageboard when presented with an opposing opinion by a well known director.
Glad you watched Captain Marvel or Spiderman Far From Home and recognize the character in my avatar.:mjgrin:
Yes, I like Marvel movies and consider them part of the brilliant history of movie making cinema. Is that bad? :picard:

Lol that's not bad but I respectfully disagree. I like some Marvel movies too but I would hardly call them brilliant. But then again, that is my personal opinion.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
They dont even know who Scorsese is. They dont watch movies outside mcu.

Some People here are on some serious drugs. Scorcese made the mob flicks for what they are and raised the quality of acting for many Hollywood Legends, but people in this thread act like he wasnt making classic films for 40+ years. :dwillhuh:

What happened to the industry? For MCU cult addicts even talk about this, is absurd. Even Kevin Fiege is like " :whoa: Calm down guys, I know you love all the films I produced, but Scorcese is a bonafied legend and you must pay respect for him"

Didnt Samuel L Jackson got his brains blown out in a Scorcese flick? :jbhmm:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
Yawn. Oh well. Won’t stop me from watching all them joints on day 1.

And do awards really mean that much? Crash has a best picture Oscar. Al Pacino got one for doing a 2 hour Yosemite Sam impression in scent of a woman. Denzel’s crooked cop got 1 over him in the hurricane and Malcolm X. Spike Lee ain’t got one.

i get it, Marvel and the heavy FX films aren’t for everyone. But the constant shytting on them is old. The special fx movies are the only reasons the movie industry still exists in the form it does. It’s the reason a studio can hand him $100 million to make a movie that’s not gonna make much money.
Spike Lee just won an Oscar as a screenwriter for Blak....sman

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Some People here are on some serious drugs. Scorcese made the mob flicks for what they are and raised the quality of acting for many Hollywood Legends, but people in this thread act like he wasnt making classic films for 40+ years. :dwillhuh:

What happened to the industry? For MCU cult addicts even talk about this, is absurd. Even Kevin Fiege is like " :whoa: Calm down guys, I know you love all the films I produced, but Scorcese is a bonafied legend and you must pay respect for him"

Didnt Samuel L Jackson got his brains blown out in a Scorcese flick? :jbhmm:
nobody is saying Scorcese isn't cinema. The issue is his petty emotional ass calling other people shyt fugazi. There's a base definition that all movies fall under. Yall talking like the MCU wasn't filmed with cameras and shown in theaters. :pachaha:Funny how all that "art is subjective" shyt goes out the window for the MCU. Now there's a technical definition for art. :skip:

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Black Panther was shot by an Oscar winning cinematographer. She dumbed it down because it was a blockbuster? I don't think so, and she would say the same.

Yes but weigh that against Marty and his productions and you fail again...
She didn't dumb down her cinematography...however, Marvel...
First trailer
EGH8yFbWwAAPKj3

2nd trailer
EGH8yFbWsAEpd-c

Film
EGH8yFcXkAEO16s

You know the more I think about this, the more it sounds like bullshyt. I still remember sitting through Scorcee's "Silence" thinking how overwrought and self-involved it was. It was like the extreme opposite of vacant theme park fun; it was the party guest who thinks he's so important and smart he lacks the self-awareness to realize people get what he's talking about, they just don't like the way he's talking to them.

Thing is even if it fails...its still cinema. Thats kind of his point.

Marvel has built something that doesn't fail, but the overproduced work loses some of its organic meaning. Not for every film though. Which again I think he's wrong to paint it like that for all Marvel films...