Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
It's alarming what's happening as art is devalued. Large groups of people who are no longer thinking about films, and instead are merely consuming them while waiting for the next one. You ask someone "what did you think/feel about xyz movie" and people can't even tell you. Instead they can rattle off cameos and easter eggs because the films are specifically designed to be amusement park rides where the only deep satisfaction people feel is...recognizing something that is from that other thing which means that other thing will be in the upcoming thing. It's reinforced stupidity and anti-art behavior.

This is why these people will watch a classic film and attack it from the most basic, childish angle. Marvel films don't have sex, so a sex scene makes them uncomfortable. Marvel antagonists often end up becoming protagonists, so they cannot comprehend real life antagonists. Speaking of which:

:dead:

These people are stupid. I'm sorry but it's the truth. They've been conditioned to be some of the least articulate, least adventurist, least thoughtful people in film history. Hell maybe we shouldn't include them in film history, because truly they are just consumers. That's it. Marvel, Disney, Star Wars, remakes, reboots. That's all they care about. Mix that with the current social media driven stan culture and you get a lot of aggressively dumb folks.
:manny:

Criteria of cinema is getting so narrow even Marty movies are catching strays (The Departed). lol

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
did you watch it twice because you liked the movie or did you want Indiana Jones to make more money?
I did it for the enjoyment. I don't think I even knew what box office was at that point. I see what you are saying. Yes, that's lame.
But wasn't Barbenheimer or whatever a similar type of marketing campaign? And isn't Marty telling people to support these movies over other movies kind of imploring people to help these films beat movies he doesn't like at the box office?
That to is lame. See a movie because you want to see it, making it about some grander statement is misguided.

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
To ask what Marvel movie is as good as Goodfellas doesn't even make sense. They're totally different types of movies, so you can't compare. It's like making an issue between Daft Punk and Bob Marley. Comic book movies are very deliberate and straight forward in what they are about: people with make-believe powers fighting in make-believe worlds based on stories originally made for kids. Why is this even a prolonged discussion?

Bullshyt. Marvel has attempted to sell some of their movies as "genre" pictures so let's compare them. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was supposed to be a political spy thriller.. that's what we were told. It was a really good movie. It might be their best movie to date.

But does it hold up against I don't know, Munich....? Nah, it doesn't.

It was also compared to Heat. Is it in any way close to the movie Heat is? No.

humminbird

Veteran
Daps
It's alarming what's happening as art is devalued. Large groups of people who are no longer thinking about films, and instead are merely consuming them while waiting for the next one. You ask someone "what did you think/feel about xyz movie" and people can't even tell you. Instead they can rattle off cameos and easter eggs because the films are specifically designed to be amusement park rides where the only deep satisfaction people feel is...recognizing something that is from that other thing which means that other thing will be in the upcoming thing. It's reinforced stupidity and anti-art behavior.

This is why these people will watch a classic film and attack it from the most basic, childish angle. Marvel films don't have sex, so a sex scene makes them uncomfortable. Marvel antagonists often end up becoming protagonists, so they cannot comprehend real life antagonists. Speaking of which:

These people are stupid. I'm sorry but it's the truth. They've been conditioned to be some of the least articulate, least adventurist, least thoughtful people in film history. Hell maybe we shouldn't include them in film history, because truly they are just consumers. That's it. Marvel, Disney, Star Wars, remakes, reboots. That's all they care about. Mix that with the current social media driven stan culture and you get a lot of aggressively dumb folks.

this is a problem with every part of society right now
you're talking about changing culture as a whole
and social media always takes extreme examples of something
even if you take away comic book movies or what the average audience thinks is entertaining then you just have a niche art form
the people aren't going to grow like you think they are

Last edited:

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
this is a problem with every part of society right now
you're talking about changing culture as a whole
and social media always takes extreme examples of something
even if you take away comic book movies or what the average audience thinks is entertaining then you just have a niche art form
the people aren't going to grow like you think they are

Facts!

Daps
Reppin
Chi
:old:nikka babble.

Nobody under 35 cares about Scorcese in 2023.

Culturally he's irrelevant in 2023.

It doesn't mean his movies are bad it means people don't really care like that anymore. Another director is Spielberg.

We're not in the 90's anymore.

Marvel whether you like the movies or not are "in" with the general movie goer right now and culturally relevant globally.

You don't live in reality.

The average movie goer doesn't give a damn about a movie being "art" :mjlol:

Since 2012 the biggest movie franchise is Marvel :mjlol:

I think that's the issue...it's also the reason why Hip-Hop became a microwave "who has the catchiest song out rn" genre instead of the actual artform.

Does Drake being the biggest hip hop artist in terms of streams/sales mean he's better than Nas? More popular? Yes, but certainly not better.

Super hero stuff is the pop music of movies....were y'all vibing w/ N'sync in 1999 just b/c they sold the most?

The Wire was never a commercial success...does that mean some real estate housewives reality show is better? cmon now

Most popular/most sales almost always equates to less quality as it has to be dumbed down for the masses to enjoy it b/c they don't have the attention span, requisite taste, etc.

McDonald's is the most popular "restaurant" in the world...their food is poison...

I think you get the point I'm making here

Last edited:

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I think that's the issue...it's also the reason why Hip-Hop became a microwave "who has the catchiest song out rn" genre instead of the actual artform.

Does Drake being the biggest hip hop artist in terms of streams/sales mean he's better than Nas? More popular? Yes, but certainly not better.

Super hero stuff is the pop music of movies....were y'all vibing w/ N'sync in 1999 just b/c they sold the most?

The Wire was never a commercial success...does that mean some real estate housewives reality show is better? cmon now
What's better is just an opinion no matter how popular. If someone indeed does think Real Hoisewives is better than The Wire it doesn't make their opinion invalid just unpopular. Well, not even unpopular because I'm sure some of those shows were more watched than The Wire.

When it comes to art their are only opinions not facts.

Daps
Reppin
Chi
What's better is just an opinion no matter how popular. If someone indeed does think Real Hoisewives is better than The Wire it doesn't make their opinion invalid just unpopular. Well, not even unpopular because I'm sure some of those shows were more watched than The Wire.

When it comes to art their are only opinions not facts.
Mannnnn that person going to have to prove a lot to me after that line of thinking to prove their opinions aren't total worthless. I'mma keep it real.

Marvel/Superhero ish is 10000x better and artistic over any reality TV.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Mannnnn that person going to have to prove a lot to me after that line of thinking to prove their opinions aren't total worthless. I'mma keep it real.

Marvel/Superhero ish is 10000x better and artistic over any reality TV.
What's the proof? If people like it more that's not proof enough?
What constitutes 'art' isn't even agreed upon so getting to what is better 'art" is even harder to achieve. There will never be any type of consistent consensus.

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
And his movies are all over streaming platforms too. :mjlol: Just because you're a Marvel fan nerd doesn't mean everyone else tryna watch that shyt all day long.
:mjlol:You said TV and were talking about “re-runs”:old:

I’ve literally said above in another post that Disney are killing Marvel’s content and that the content has been trash since 2018 but now I’m a Stan? :dead:

Jazzy B.

Superstar
Bushed
Daps

Most popular/most sales almost always equates to less quality as it has to be dumbed down for the masses to enjoy it b/c they don't have the attention span, requisite taste, etc.

McDonald's is the most popular "restaurant" in the world...their food is poison...

I think you get the point I'm making here

Different gens like different things because things eventually change as time goes on it’s really not that complicated. I don’t know why some of you can’t accept this.

The current gen I mentioned like Marvel movies and hold them in high regard, you may not and you don’t have to but it doesn’t change the fact the gen does and that it is “in” in 2023.

Kooley_High

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Da South

I have seen this reaction in real life actually lol. Especially when it comes to actual movie villains/antagonists outside of marvel. People have watched so many marvel movies they forget what real film elements are. Or even what’s allowed in a PG-13 film.

That’s a point I agree with Martin on. Franchise films are altering what people think a film is.