Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
He said they are and I also believe they are too. However, in Martin's opinion (along with others like Francis Ford Coppola), comic book films are low tier, bottom of the barrel to him, and if he believes that then that's his right to believe that. He's not going to change his opinion so I really don't know what we're arguing about a year and a half after he initially said this. Like I said when people started trashing Marty over this: Someone @ me when Marvel makes a movie as good as or better than Goodfellas.
So you agree with me. lol
If he just said they were bad and didn't like them I would have no problem. But he hopped on his high horse and acted like what he does is somehow different. It's not, they are all just taking pictures of people pretending to be someone else and putting out in theateres for entertainment. Miss me with the elitism.
And no one is trying to change his opinion. I don't think he posts here. I'm just expressing my opinion about his opinion. That's what messageboards are for to share opinions about topics.

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
I'll just respond with what RDJ said about it and keep it moving

“I appreciate his opinion, because I think it’s like anything — we need all of the different perspectives, so we can come to center and move on."

Okay then.

Some highly esteemed musician, most likely a white man says "Hip Hop/rap isn't real music".

Me: fukk that cac.

You gonna 'appreciate' what he has to say because of his status in music?

It is a mystery

Tory Lanez Stan
Daps
Marty couldn't even be bothered finishing one. His opinion isn't even informed. And really no one cares what he likes or doesn't like but acting like he is the authority on what is and isn't cinema is what I was complaining about.
If this were true, respectfully, this thread wouldn't be over 100 pages long. :francis:

This thread has superhero movie stans going over the 7 stages of grief over a Martin quote. Lets not pretend that it doesn't.

If y'all really didn't value the messenger or didn't believe what he says holds weight, this thread would have done 1 page max.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
If this were true, respectfully, this thread wouldn't be over 100 pages long. :francis:

This thread has superhero movie stans going over the 7 stages of grief over a Martin quote. Lets not pretend that it doesn't.

If y'all really didn't value the messenger or didn't believe what he says holds weight, this thread would have done 1 page max.
Na, the first few pages are people trying and failing at what makes something cinema or not. Look back.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
So you agree with me. lol
If he just said they were bad and didn't like them I would have no problem. But he hopped on his high horse and acted like what he does is somehow different. It's not, they are all just taking pictures of people pretending to be someone else and putting out in theateres for entertainment. Miss me with the elitism.
And no one is trying to change his opinion. I don't think he posts here. I'm just expressing my opinion about his opinion. That's what messageboards are for to share opinions about topics.
You know what I thought when I saw Martin's quote? "So he doesn't like comic book movies? Well, hey, different strokes, different folks make the world work. :manny:" And then I get on here and see this thread in progress at 15 pages with people upset and shaking their fists and this was an hour or two after it was posted. People weren't doing that just here, it was all over the net. I won't lie...it was kind of low-key amusing to me. All because Martin decided to drop his opinion on comic book movies. And he's not the only one to have that thought either. Directors, actors, and actresses (some who have starred in Marvel movies) have dropped the same thought and admitted that cmb aren't their bag either.:heh: I appreciate Martin's opinion even if I don't agree with it.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
You know what I thought when I saw Martin's quote? "So he doesn't like comic book movies? Well, hey, different strokes, different folks make the world work. :manny:" And then I get on here and see this thread in progress at 15 pages with people upset and shaking their fists and this was an hour or two after it was posted. People weren't doing that just here, it was all over the net. I won't lie...it was kind of low-key amusing to me. All because Martin decided to drop his opinion on comic book movies. And he's not the only one to have that thought either. Directors, actors, and actresses (some who have starred in Marvel movies) have dropped the same thought and admitted that cmb aren't their bag either.:heh: I appreciate Martin's opinion even if I don't agree with it.
Gotcha, so instead of shaking your fist @ Marty you are doing to people who talk about it too much in your estimation. We all have our pet issues I guess. lol

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Bro that's nonsense

Unless you're some film student, ALL films are made to generate profit because they cost time and money to be made

This shyt hasn't negatively impacted global pop culture because these stories have existed for DECADES in POP CULTURE and we're just finally getting to see the live action versions of them, and furthermore the stories were good then and many are considered classics in their own lanes.
These movies exist simply to make money. If Ryan Coogler has said he didn't want to make Black Panther 2 they would just get another director and a different script. The director for Dr. Strange 2 dropped out over creative differences and it's still getting made.
And @winb83 of course there is a plan and endgame.....have you forgotten that half these properties didn't even belong to Marvel/Disney a decade ago and they're now trying to figure out how to integrate them into the greater story while still making something people would actually want to pay money to see or see period?
I don't believe for a second they have the end of the MCU mapped out. There is unlikely to be an end. They'll do this phase and then decide what they want to do in the next phase wash rinse repeat.

It's not bad as these movies are entertaining but something being entertaining doesn't make it a beacon of what cinema should aspire to be. I was entertained by Gone in 60 Seconds. I wouldn't call that a great example of cinema.

MarcP

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
VvfCVQZ.gif