Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
That's not true at all.

Marvel movies held Hollywood up for a decade

Y'all either don't know or are ignoring how bad Hollywood was doing in 2010. People stopped going to theaters

Studios were preparing for death

And if you wanna talk about blockbusters killing Hollywood you're gonna have to start way before the 2000s
Toy Story 3, Alice in Wonderland, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows, Inception, Shrek 3, and Twilight 3 all came out in 2010.
Toy Story 3 and Alice in Wonderland both made over $1 billion and Harry Potter was right at the edge of $1 billion.
And all 6 of these movies made more money than Iron Man 2.

The axe murderer

For I am death and I ride on a pale horse
Daps
x50qx4kca4r51.png

See date

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Marvel films are made for the sole purpose of generating profit, not to tell a great story, a focus that has negatively impacted global pop culture as well as film as an art form.
I came to somewhat the same conclusion

It just really hit me watching Wandavision that this stuff is going to perpetually go on forever. Most stories have some sort of destination in mind when they're told but this cinematic universe exist simply to tell endless stories. Nothing is fulfilling everything ends in a sequel tease or a plot thread to something else.
You know what? When I'm watching a written story I'm not looking for real life. I don't need to be lectured about real life in a series with flying witches that construct their own reality in a hex.

I mean we watch this now and are satisfied with it but it is a product that purely exist to be a cash cow. Shows like LOST got harped on when people figured out there wasn't a plan and much of the stuff it showed was a room of writers making stuff up as it went along. Love Nolan's Batman or hate it it was a trilogy and it ended. The fact that this is a shared universe with a persistent story between movies just turns this into an endless saga. We're possibly facing Ironman #2, Thor #2, we have Captain America #2.

That may very well be a major reason some of these prestigious film makers shyt on these movies because while every film wants to be a success many of them begin with the kernel a storyteller wanting to tell a story. All these begin with the kernel of a corporation wanting to continue an endless saga for the money. I mean I looked up White Vision after Wandavision and the director is basically like I don't know where that's going that's someone else's story to tell.

I mean they have many decides of comic book stories to pull from and adapt. They'll continue to do that until not until they finish telling the story they wanted to tell originally but until people lose interest and the cash cow dies. The MCU is on the opposite end of the spectrum as Star Wars which also clearly exist to be cashed in on but hasn't discovered the formula to get people to forget that and simply enjoy the show.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
Comic book movies fans and Non-Comic book movie fans.
Marty couldn't even be bothered finishing one. His opinion isn't even informed. And really no one cares what he likes or doesn't like but acting like he is the authority on what is and isn't cinema is what I was complaining about. He's not the arbitrator of that despite his acconplishments.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Marty couldn't even be bothered finishing one. His opinion isn't even informed. And really no one cares what he likes or doesn't like but acting like he is the authority on what is and isn't cinema is what I was complaining about. He's not the arbitrator of that despite his acconplishments.
I'll just respond with what RDJ said about it and keep it moving

“I appreciate his opinion, because I think it’s like anything — we need all of the different perspectives, so we can come to center and move on."

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I'll just respond with what RDJ said about it and keep it moving

“I appreciate his opinion, because I think it’s like anything — we need all of the different perspectives, so we can come to center and move on."
And when Stern asked him if they are 'cinema' what did RDJ say? :jbhmm:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
Imagine trying to discredit Martin Scorcese in favor of films using Joss Whedon level quips for dialogue :huhldup:

Wait, that was actually attempted :huhldup::huhldup::huhldup:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
Marvel films are made for the sole purpose of generating profit, not to tell a great story, a focus that has negatively impacted global pop culture as well as film as an art form.
Bro that's nonsense

Unless you're some film student, ALL films are made to generate profit because they cost time and money to be made

This shyt hasn't negatively impacted global pop culture because these stories have existed for DECADES in POP CULTURE and we're just finally getting to see the live action versions of them, and furthermore the stories were good then and many are considered classics in their own lanes.

And @winb83 of course there is a plan and endgame.....have you forgotten that half these properties didn't even belong to Marvel/Disney a decade ago and they're now trying to figure out how to integrate them into the greater story while still making something people would actually want to pay money to see or see period?