full

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
Bro that's nonsense

Unless you're some film student, ALL films are made to generate profit because they cost time and money to be made

This shyt hasn't negatively impacted global pop culture because these stories have existed for DECADES in POP CULTURE and we're just finally getting to see the live action versions of them, and furthermore the stories were good then and many are considered classics in their own lanes.

And @winb83 of course there is a plan and endgame.....have you forgotten that half these properties didn't even belong to Marvel/Disney a decade ago and they're now trying to figure out how to integrate them into the greater story while still making something people would actually want to pay money to see or see period?

Dude's take was one of the worst takes I've seen on thecoli in any forum

The only reason hollywood even exists is generate profit. Dude's either a moron or the most naiive person in america :mjlol:

ExodusNirvana

Change is inevitable...
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn, NY
They’re obviously cinema the same as Justin Beiber’s songs are music...super hero movies are the pop music of the movie industry
I'm alright with this analogy as long as we're not denigrating "Pop Music" because there are plenty of classic Pop Albums and Pop Artists...timeless shyt that people might not even consider Pop but it is definitely Pop

MJ is Pop....Madonna is Pop....Rhianna is Pop...

To claim that neither of these have a classic album would be ludicrous and I'm not even that big of a Madonna fan

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I'm alright with this analogy as long as we're not denigrating "Pop Music" because there are plenty of classic Pop Albums and Pop Artists...timeless shyt that people might not even consider Pop but it is definitely Pop

To claim that neither of these have a classic album would be ludicrous and I'm not even that big of a Madonna fan
There are some classic blockbuster movies (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight) as well I don't think Marvel has made one yet but they exist.

CarltonJunior

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Duval County
There are some classic blockbuster movies (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire Strikes Back, The Dark Knight) as well I don't think Marvel has made one yet but they exist.

I don't think enough time has passed to say that. So far I believe Infinity War, Black Panther, Winter Soldier and Endgame in particular transcended Marvel and will be remembered on that level. Some might argue Iron Man 1 is there also but I disagree with them.

Daps
Reppin
Chi

I shouldn’t have used Bieber but someone more like Drake.

Heavy_Handz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Dude's take was one of the worst takes I've seen on thecoli in any forum

The only reason hollywood even exists is generate profit. Dude's either a moron or the most naiive person in america :mjlol:
What I was saying is that it’s all cookie cutter bullshyt. How that got over your head is hilarious.

AnonymityX1000

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
New York
I don't think enough time has passed to say that. So far I believe Infinity War, Black Panther, Winter Soldier and Endgame in particular transcended Marvel and will be remembered on that level. Some might argue Iron Man 1 is there also but I disagree with them.
The only thing I can say is a possibility is Ironman maybe BP. The other ones rely too heavily on other movies to fully understand what is going on. Infinity War is probably my favorite theater experience of my life but just think of someone who never saw any of the other movies. They would completely be lost. I gotta penalize a movie that relies heavily on other movies. It's really not it's own thing then.
The entire MCU is unprecedented and classic but I don't think any individual movie contained within has or can reach that status.

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
And when Stern asked him if they are 'cinema' what did RDJ say? :jbhmm:
He said they are and I also believe they are too. However, in Martin's opinion (along with others like Francis Ford Coppola), comic book films are low tier, bottom of the barrel to him, and if he believes that then that's his right to believe that. He's not going to change his opinion so I really don't know what we're arguing about a year and a half after he initially said this. Like I said when people started trashing Marty over this: Someone @ me when Marvel makes a movie as good as or better than Goodfellas.

The Realist Perspective

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
NULL
After long consideration and after trying to watch the marvel movies again...he's right. They are shallow cookie cutter movies, held up by the Comic Book Hero appeal.