Martin Scorsese - Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
Money, noteriety, notstalgia. :francis:
Marvel movies are also some of the most popular ever, quoted constantly and will also be remembered forever. :sas1:

Maybe he feels superior to them and is mad they have those similar accomplishments. He pulled out his PhD saying they aren't cinema and don't convey emotions between people/the audience. :shaq2:
This is like comparing Britney Spears(Marvel) to Prince(Scorsese). In other words there's no comparison, but sure they're both popular if that's the route you want to go down.:hubie:

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
They know this and that's what truly hurts about the criticism of these films. On the sly, lot of these comic book movie fans aren't even fans of those movies like that, its just a pop culture phenomenon they can attach themselves to to be in the moment and feel wanted.

Decades later, people are still watching, analyzing, and referencing Scorsese movies. Is that going to happen with Avengers 6: The Infinity Sock? fukk no.
I agree and that's fine, but I don't see the need to make it more than it is. People love a lot of shyt that isn't the greatest quality.

Lord_Chief_Rocka

Superstar
Daps
I don't recall anybody saying he was bitter...then again, if I just crafted my latest 'masterpiece' of cinema that I have to debut on Netflix instead of theaters I might be a bit annoyed.

It's a lot of people BITTER about the comic book genre, Marvel in particular because aside from critiques it steals their shine. Jennifer Lopez just went of in the press about how it's difficult to make movies about humanity because of Marvel.

giphy.gif
Netflix probably gave him a huge bag. Why would that matter to him?:dwillhuh:

SunZoo

The Legendary Super Sapien.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T.L.C.
Netflix probably gave him a huge bag. Why would that matter to him?:dwillhuh:

So is it about the bag or the art form of 'cinema'?

He got plenty of bags in his time, I would say it would probably matter more to him how his film is watched more so than how much more money he got for it on top of what he's already made.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
So is it about the bag or the art form of 'cinema'?

He got plenty of bags in his time, I would say it would probably matter more to him how his film is watched more so than how much more money he got for it on top of what he's already made.
The studio system is different now. At this point for him it’s gotta be about creative freedom. Netflix gives him the freedom to do what he wants while also backing up the brinks truck and ensuring it gets in front of as many eyeballs as possible. That’s Ws across the board

Sonny Bonds

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I like Marvel movies and Martin Scorsese's movies.

But can we talk about how Wolf of Wall Street is a comedy, even though it really shouldn't have been? People got screwed by that dude and goofy comedy was the angle chosen to approach that subject?

wire28

Blade said what up
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#ByrdGang #TheColi
MCU is by far the most amazing movie project ever.

They weaved 20+ movies together into the finale which was damn near perfectly executed.

Most series can't write their way out of the third movie in the trilogy.

Matrix

Star Wars (I'll even give them 3 in a row but they are working on a 3/11 ratio)

Terminator

Every single other comic franchise. FF, Fox Spiderman, X men ...

It goes on. And on.

But these cats do it with 22 episodes. Not all of them were great, but none of them SUCKED, and now that we've seen the end, all of them are required reading like Thor 2 which I didn't like. But now, I kinda wanna review it just to see how it fits.

Bravo.

I have no shyt to talk about Scorsese, but I

GUARANTEE

he couldn't have out the MCU together. No matter how weak he thinks it is. He literally couldn't do it himself
beautifully said

somebody tell martin to go home and be a family man

Brian O'Conner

All Star
Daps
Marvel movies are pretty low quality imo. I never really understood America's fascination with this shyt.

its disney shills and critics being paid by disney to gas trash. i dont trust the numbers either

marvel/disney has a handful of great films like BP, gotg and infinity war

gluvnast

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
People are all up in arms... triggered and spewing politically correctness as if filmmakers, especially legendary filmmakers cannot keep it a-buck on what they like or they're not feeling.

The truth of the matter is that Scorsese makes a valid point about the MCU. Marvel isn't nor never was in the business in making Oscar or any film award worthy type of movie. They are in the business of pure entertainment. To provide people that thrill and enjoyment, that roller coaster and have you wanting to come back for more. Which is exactly what the purpose of a theme park. So, Scorsese is NOT wrong in what he is saying. He is just comparing those type of films to films that are made for artistic purposes. That's the films he grew up on. It's what his reason why he wanted to be a filmmaker.

If you dislike what he said... so be it. But it's not like he's wrong in his sentiment and comparison.