Marlon Wayans Finally GOT ONE with this! Stand Up Special God Loves Me

The Intergalactic Koala

Reporting for Duty
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama and the Cosmos
I like Men In Black Soundtrack, Big Willy Style, and Lost & Found.

Will never made wack music in my eyes or “White people” music. He’s as black as any other rapper with his subject matter thats not gangster he just doesn’t cuss

The thing with Will was that he stuck to his own lane. He was the safe rapper, which tarnish his rep with black folks, despite having quality ass albums. I actually spun Big Willie Style a while back and was wild impressed. Hell, when he was on his Philly steez with Jazzy Jeff...dude was an all around menace. He floated hard on this jawn:

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
The thing with Will was that he stuck to his own lane. He was the safe rapper, which tarnish his rep with black folks, despite having quality ass albums. I actually spun Big Willie Style a while back and was wild impressed. Hell, when he was on his Philly steez with Jazzy Jeff...dude was an all around menace. He floated hard on this jawn:

I guess my question is why would that tarnish his rep with black folks? What was wrong for being a family friendly rapper or not talking about common themes in rap (sex, street life, money, etc).

threattonature

Veteran
Daps
I guess my question is why would that tarnish his rep with black folks? What was wrong for being a family friendly rapper or not talking about common themes in rap (sex, street life, money, etc).
I mean it was basically the Michael B Jordan convo all over again. Basically because he was so safe he was looked at as corny. Most of the times that comes from a place of hate. Like nikkas can't just make it because they are talented. Nah if you ain't street enough you're kissing up to white people and corny.

xiceman191

Superstar
Daps
I mean it was basically the Michael B Jordan convo all over again. Basically because he was so safe he was looked at as corny. Most of the times that comes from a place of hate. Like nikkas can't just make it because they are talented. Nah if you ain't street enough you're kissing up to white people and corny.
That is really a shame. I'm not gonna lie when Marlon made the point about "Parents just don't Understand" and was like black people ain't fukk with it cause they don't come from 2 parent homes I was like :dahell:I know its supposed to be a joke and all but it threw me off.

heart

Down By Law
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
I watched it yesterday. Most I’ve laughed at a Marlon stand up..

So many comedians have created material off that incident but not a full special on it.

The epitome of the special was Marlon hedging his bets and he understands both sides because he knows all three. It wasnt great or impactful.

Daps
I will never understand the hate for Will Smith's music that isn't Summertime.

Revisionist history. I was too young for much of the DJ Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince heyday so my first real memory of a Will Smith album was Big Willie Style and that was getting played EVERYWHERE that year. On the strength of that album, I went back and discovered the Fresh Prince albums (my favorite songs are "that's just the things that you do" and "I'm looking for the one")

Duke Dixon

Superstar
Daps
I was trying to find where he talks about different comedy specials but I didn't hear it from the shows I was skimming through. Theres over a hundred so it'll take time but I do want to hear it again myself.

I did find where he talks a bit about comedians and the audience that they have. I know another time he talks about Chris Rock has the older black audience and Kevin Hart has fans are the ones that Katt had. This might be when hes talking about the different kind of specials.

Earlier he talks about comedy central specials that helped people careers and says Katt Williams, Ron White, and Whitney Cummings got famous after their specials came out. Also says HBO specials were the highest pedigree for comedians to reach. This is around ~15:50

Starts talking about people that are his fans. Timestamped.

Says Seinfeld has more fans than just Jews
Larry the cable guy- all rednecks
Ron White- older rednecks
Kevin Hart(Lil Kev)- Black people
Jo Koy- Korens
Russell Peters- all asian ethnicities
Dane Cook- college white kids

Comedy Central Producer says his audience is men. I think she right since he blew up in recently in this audience. Patrice thinks his audience might be couples together. I have seen women enjoy his comedy although they don't like it at first then come around later.

Patrice says black people just found out about him. Says hes too fair to mainly have a black audience. Says Katt Williams was all nikkas. Chris Rock was a mix crowd and then became a black comic when he did the Black People Vs nikkas bit. Patrice says he started to get more of a black audience after being on Def Jam.

Says Bill Burr is a good black room comic, when Bill Burr walks in.
Says Mike Epps and Tracey Morgan are the two best black room comics hes ever seen preform live.

Stops talking about comedy at 36:49.

I thought they talk about what I remembered in this video but they only talked a bit about how Kevin Hart initially blew up. Patrice & Kevin Hart start talking about him becoming famous. Timestamped.
You can listen to the whole thing it is really funny

Kev joins the Kings of Comedy for a show at all star weekend after Bernie Mac passes.
3 Kings and a Hart Tour and Kevin Hart is the closer.
Patrice thinks it was Seriously Funny and Kevin agrees.

The video I'm looking for is around this time because the 2nd video is when Patrice was "retired" for 3 weeks. He talks about that in the first video and says he came out of retirement. The 1st video is right when Elephant in the Room came out. The Video I'm looking for is either a little bit before or a little bit after or it might be around when Patrice did the Charlie Sheen Roast.

@Ziggiy

Last edited:

Tony D'Amato

It's all about the inches
Daps
Reppin
Inches
Terrible take. Even when Marlon's material is compelling (which some of it was in this special), he is not in the same stratosphere as Chris when it comes to stand up comedy. Chris Rock on his worst day is still better at the art of stand up comedy than Marlon at his peak.
I watched 30mins of this shyt and it wasn't funny at all. And he kept laughing at his own story. The entire first 30 mins is about Chris Rock being mean to him and how much he enjoyed the slap but also how jada couldn't be his woman...

What exactly was funny about this special? I think Chappelles style has changed some things. Cuz it was just story time with Marlon and it wasn't even funny. Definitely not funnier than Chris' special .