Making a $100,000 a year isn't as special as most make it seem on here.

Prodyson

All Star
Daps
Man, pay that debt off. The money you're putting towards debt, just stack in a savings account or mutual fund. if you or your wife gets sick or laid off, the last thing you want to worry about is a car or credit card payment. Not wishing for it to happen but it's good to be prepared. Plus student loans are worse loans to keep around, like less than 50% of your payment goest toward principal.

The debt isn't enough to be worried about, unless some big medical bill comes up. And even then, my job provides really good health insurance/critical illness insurance, so I'm not even very worried about that either, in general... Did I give you the impression that I wasn't paying it off or something? I'm already at the point in my student loans where more than 50% of my student loan payments go to my principal. I only had like 12K to begin with, and a portion were subsidized. We have enough money saved to be fine if someone got laid off. Plus, the money we'd save in Child care would completely offset a few of our bills. We essentially live in a manner where we could survive off of one person's income. We just wouldn't be able to travel and entertain like we do now...

Add to that... I have a VERY stable career. Like the type of stable where the average years of service is like 8-10 years, and that's only because they're consistently hiring new people because regardless of the economy, my industry is necessary. I'd have to not be able to do my job well to get fired, and that's not the case. My wife is a registered nurse, so she'll always be able to find a job. At the worst, she may just have to work a terrible shift.

I'm of the belief that as long as I'm not overextending myself and I have money to save, I will enjoy my life. I'll take a few less trips if I have to, but I'll always take trips. I'll go out to eat less, but I'll still go out to eat every once in a while. I won't go shopping as much if that's what's necessary, but a new outfit every once in a while won't hurt. As long as I can still pay all my bills, pay down my debt, and save.

Kalik

Rasta in Babylon
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Florida / Bahamas
Started writing it (talking it) into my simple note on my phone... realizes its not easy to explain will send PM out later tonight.

Made $200 today already side work (before work, I work 2nd shift), today was just a flip (not online)

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Increasing your net income while keeping your expenses down is key to financial freedom and ability to build your savings.