Major City Black Population +/-, per 2020 Census

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Black Men where the most married group of Men at the beginning of the 20th century. If pair bonding or marriage isn't happening it's not really because of GMB
its 2021, different time. NVM the fact that ADOS people have a different dynamic

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Here's a question I have for the board. What do you guys consider the "black meccas" here in the early 2020s? The places that offer the best range of lifestyles and experiences for black individuals, and black families?

As an aside, I'm American too, I'm very well aware that there is no black utopia in the United States, so I'm not asking for the place with black perfection because that place doesn't exist. Just using whatever criteria yall deem relevant, what are the cities you'd call "black meccas"?

Just to give a guideline along population boundaries, here are the Top 10, with metro Top 10 in parentheses:

1 New York (NY TriState)
2 Chicago (DC/Bmore)
3 Philadelphia (ATL)
4 Houston (Chicagoland)
5 Detroit (Philly/Delaware Valley)
6 Memphis (Houston)
7 Baltimore (DFW)
8 Los Angeles (Greater LA)
9 Dallas (South Florida)
10 Jacksonville (Detroit)

Just to give my brief opinion:

Memphis is the first city that is outta place that jumps out. It's a regional capital for all things Mid-South in that SW Tennessee/Arkansas Delta/Mississippi Delta area, but is not even the greatest place for black folk in Tennessee--->that would be Nashville...

Memphis has the 6th-most city blacks and 11th-most in the metro, but should not be considered a mecca by any stretch...

Jacksonville is the other city that jumps out. It's a big deal in its area and on the SE Georgia coast, but it really isn't a national draw for black people. I dont feel like Baltimore by itself is a mecca for black people, but its hard to separate it from the larger region, because that entire Nova thru Central Maryland loop is a magnet for black people...

Every other city that placed in the Top 10 on either list I do think of as having the qualities of a black mecca: (4)South----Atlanta, Houston, DFW, Miami/SoFla; (3)Northeast---DC/Bmore, Philly, NY; (2)Midwest---Chi, Detroit; (1)West---LA...

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It’s not really informative. They might be “black” according to a census but a lot of these areas are overrepresented by immigrant communities. Idk how welcome you’d feel moving into a tight knit Somali community in Minnesota for example, if you just went off the numbers like how breh mentioned :yeshrug:

I actually heard the census knew how inaccurate the numbers were because of the the sheer number of different African and Caribbean ethnic groups that have and continue to move to the US. To they specifically put in some kind of ‘ADOS’ designation. I guess that didn’t plan out.

And when I put “black” in quotations it’s meant to signify the descendants of US chattel slavery. It’s important because even though we’re technically black we don’t share the same culture. People may masquerade as ADOS because it’s beneficial to walk that line of being an immigrant but also putting on a black image when it benefits you. Most people move here for economic opportunity, that’s how this game works. :yeshrug:

It’s why Africans dominate a lot of the college scholarships and HBCU opportunities. Hell a lot of universities actually prefer African immigrants or their children because they usually know the system and intentionally game it. A lot of the people coming over were skilled and highly educated in their own countries. So someone father could legit be a scientist, mother a mathematician, yet they still get out in that same box as a poor black kid from the projects who had to battle through the school to prison pipeline. The latter rarely if ever even make it to college if you really look at the numbers.

Hell at my university, I was the minority as a black American male who wasn’t from Africa or had African parents. The only place where we weren’t outnumbered was in sports. I legit could count the amount of black American men who weren’t the product of immigration on my literal hand. In a school of close to 40k students :mjpls:

While the resources meant for ADOS go largely underutilized, but these programs still get to pretend like they’re doing something for black people.

It’s incredibly fukked up because we’re still suffering as a group, but we’re not even recognized as our own people. Hell, you could move here from somewhere Africa or the Carrib tomorrow and get to call yourself a black African American like you been here 400+ years :unimpressed:

My crafty tethas stand up. #FBB Foreign Born Blacks :blessed:

:troll:

Robbie3000

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
On a serious note, you'd think that L.A's black population would be much larger than 8%. That is crazy.

Supper

All Star
Daps
Here's a question I have for the board. What do you guys consider the "black meccas" here in the early 2020s? The places that offer the best range of lifestyles and experiences for black individuals, and black families?

As an aside, I'm American too, I'm very well aware that there is no black utopia in the United States, so I'm not asking for the place with black perfection because that place doesn't exist. Just using whatever criteria yall deem relevant, what are the cities you'd call "black meccas"?

Just to give a guideline along population boundaries, here are the Top 10, with metro Top 10 in parentheses:

1 New York (NY TriState)
2 Chicago (DC/Bmore)
3 Philadelphia (ATL)
4 Houston (Chicagoland)
6 Memphis (Houston)
7 Baltimore (DFW)
9 Dallas (South Florida)

Memphis is the first city that is outta place that jumps out. It's a regional capital for all things Mid-South in that SW Tennessee/Arkansas Delta/Mississippi Delta area, but is not even the greatest place for black folk in Tennessee--->that would be Nashville...

Memphis has the 6th-most city blacks and 11th-most in the metro, but should not be considered a mecca by any stretch...

Jacksonville is the other city that jumps out. It's a big deal in its area and on the SE Georgia coast, but it really isn't a national draw for black people. I dont feel like Baltimore by itself is a mecca for black people, but its hard to separate it from the larger region, because that entire Nova thru Central Maryland loop is a magnet for black people...

Every other city that placed in the Top 10 on either list I do think of as having the qualities of a black mecca: (4)South----Atlanta, Houston, DFW, Miami/SoFla; (3)Northeast---DC/Bmore, Philly, NY; (2)Midwest---Chi, Detroit; (1)West---LA...

Htown & ATL(both city and metro) fit the criteria of having both an increasing black pop and among the largest growth of black entrepreneurs + black mayors.
Atlanta, Houston, and New York City Top List of Cities With Large Number Of Black Businesses Opening During Pandemic

It basically comes down to them two IMO. ATL losing it's black majority hurt it a lot in my book. But, I guess I still gotta slightly edge it to ATL even tho I'm a homer. Though, keep in mind ATL has a much larger cac and non-hispanic cac pop than the H. There's increased while ours sharply decreased.

El Bombi

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Any place with a large Mexican population should never be considered a Black Mecca. But I'll let you goofy nikkas cook. :heh:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
On a serious note, you'd think that L.A's black population would be much larger than 8%. That is crazy.

Well LA peaked at around 18% Black in 1980. The country was settled east to west, there was never going to be the same number of us in most western cities as there are in most places Texas on east---->basically the 13 original states and the rest of the slave drops here, since Black people were brought here and settled from the east...

Any place with a large Mexican population should never be considered a Black Mecca. But I'll let you goofy nikkas cook. :heh:

You don't think a place can be a mecca for different groups of people simultaneously...

FukkaPaidEmail

Retired Hoodrat whisperer
Daps
Reppin
The Diaspora

1 New York (NY TriState)
2 Chicago (DC/Bmore)
3 Philadelphia (ATL)
4 Houston (Chicagoland)
6 Memphis (Houston)
7 Baltimore (DFW)
9 Dallas (South Florida)

Detroit,Memphis and Baltimore are the only black cities on that list. We need to stop lumping these other cities with them on these lists but that would hurt a ton of nikkas feelings.