Lyricism is dead because it takes too long to write witty lines..these new rappers are just lazy

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Its easier to be "lyrical" over boom bap production which is sparse and doesn't overpower an MC than it is trap which is suited better for melody/flow.

That said punchline/metaphor rap is corny.

Daps
Reppin
prosper any where on earth
Its easier to be "lyrical" over boom bap production which is sparse and doesn't overpower an MC than it is trap which is suited better for melody/flow.

That said punchline/metaphor rap is corny.

so 2 chainz is corny now?

chainz is always punching bro

2 chains provides, lyricalness on trap beats.

and he can kill boom bap too

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
I believe a good lyricist is someone who is able to weave together words to make a compelling listen. It doesn't have to be a verse filled with big words or metaphors. Look at Prodigy (R.I.P to the God) and some of his verses. Dude had this uncanny ability to paint some of the most vivid scenes in Hip Hop history and he very rarely used big words and he was light on punchlines and metaphors. THAT is what I consider to be a great lyricist. Look at his verse from Streets Raised Me for instance:

Vision the canvas I paint a picture
Similar to Ernie Barnes nikka
But mines is more ghetto, more guns
More drugs, mostly thugs
All my duns, their baby moms, daughters and sons
Dark blocks, with streets lamps shot the fukk out
Park benches broke, a nikka stretched out
Jumped off the roof to his death its real
Hand Ball walls displayed with R-I-P murals
Those who sling, play the shadows by the building
Devils spring, keep em going while the snows blowing
Grams get dipped, 50's are smoked, cookies are broke
And Spliced in large pieces for the fiends to smoke
The sun set looks beautiful over the projects
What a shame, it ain't the same where we stand at
If you look close you can see the bricks chipped off
Sometimes nikkas miss when they lick off, don't get clipped off
Street life

:wow:

:patrice:

I dont know if P is a good example....No one will argue with u that 90's P wasnt lyrical. P was one of the best lyricists of the 90's but he did have the ability to do the punchline/metaphor shyt:

Your simple words just don't move me: you're minor, we're major
You're all up in the game and don't deserve to be a player

Rhyme schemes out the ass

I'm only 19, but my mind is old
And when the things get for real, my warm heart turns cold
Another nikka deceased, another story gets told
It ain't nothin' really, ayo Dun, spark the Philly

P was just that good were he could switch it up like with the rhyme u posted. But u see thats the thing....can someone who can tell a good street story switch up like P and get on some metaphoric/punchline shyt? Thats what I say is a lyricist...someone who could do the witty shyt and switch it up too, Thats why I mentioned Canibus, Pun and G Rap....cuz they do that with ease.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin

laughter.gif

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC

I dont know if P is a good example....No one will argue with u that 90's P wasnt lyrical. P was one of the best lyricists of the 90's but he did have the ability to do the punchline/metaphor shyt:

Your simple words just don't move me: you're minor, we're major
You're all up in the game and don't deserve to be a player

Rhyme schemes out the ass

I'm only 19, but my mind is old
And when the things get for real, my warm heart turns cold
Another nikka deceased, another story gets told
It ain't nothin' really, ayo Dun, spark the Philly

P was just that good were he could switch it up like with the rhyme u posted. But u see thats the thing....can someone who can tell a good street story switch up like P and get on some metaphoric/punchline shyt? Thats what I say is a lyricist...someone who could do the witty shyt and switch it up too, Thats why I mentioned Canibus, Pun and G Rap....cuz they do that with ease.
Great post. :psalute:
Plus P could kill the concept/metaphor shyt too

Benefited

Banned
Daps
You have to think,alot of artist of today don't get credit for being lyrical,witty and having wordplay because they have country accents.

Sadly the world equates having a country accent to not being intelligent. If an act like the Migos weren't so country,and were rapping about the boroughs and holding the llama:mjlol:? Or rapping about 64 Impalas and pronouncing their words with hard 'ers hiphop fans would be all over them as the second coming of Wutang and NWA. The drunken beligerent delivery is actually what hurts much of the newer generation. It's hard for me to look at a guy like J Cole and Wale and say he is more talented then the Migos lyrically outside of his content.

But because he has a more coherent,kind delivery,and positive content,its seen that way. Lack of content is what I think you mean to say OP,and yes they are all very lazy in that regard.

Taadow

The StarchBishop™️
Daps
Reppin
Crispness
Lyricism isn't "dead"...moreso it would be wasted on people who wouldn't get it.

Juneya

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Panola Road

I picked him on purpose. To see how sleep you really were. Thug so crazy and creative with it, it’s kinda childish sometimes, but the lyricism is definitely happening nonetheless

Here goes one that I caught today...

“She bring it to daddy, I eat the cake out her panties...”

Just ill... his doubles and triples be sneaky like that all the time...

(Yes nikka. Triples.)

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
You have to think,alot of artist of today don't get credit for being lyrical,witty and having wordplay because they have country accents.

Sadly the world equates having a country accent to not being intelligent. If an act like the Migos weren't so country,and were rapping about the boroughs and holding the llama:mjlol:? Or rapping about 64 Impalas and pronouncing their words with hard 'ers hiphop fans would be all over them as the second coming of Wutang and NWA. The drunken beligerent delivery is actually what hurts much of the newer generation. It's hard for me to look at a guy like J Cole and Wale and say he is more talented then the Migos lyrically outside of his content.

But because he has a more coherent,kind delivery,and positive content,its seen that way. Lack of content is what I think you mean to say OP,and yes they are all very lazy in that regard.

But Juvenile and Outkast had country accents and they were lyrical.

I have a teen in my house and all he plays is current stuff on his PS4. Migos aint lyrical and neither are these current crop of rappers. I mean there are some here or their but its very rare.

Benefited

Banned
Daps
But Juvenile and Outkast had country accents and they were lyrical.

I have a teen in my house and all he plays is current stuff on his PS4. Migos aint lyrical and neither are these current crop of rappers. I mean there are some here or their but its very rare.

Show me a Juvenile verse on one of his hits as lyrical as Offsets last verse on Versace:jbhmm:?

What about this kid Takeoff that showcases flow,wordplay lyrical prowess?

At least guys like 9th Wonder,Q Tip who know lyricism have said these kids have bars. I'm impressed at the idea they are much better than Jay was at their age,you should be more like the legends and support the youth who actually do care about the craft instead of tearing them down. Why would they want to be lyrical when many of you tell them they are not lyrical despite being more lyrical than somebody like Juve who you just called lyrical? No wonder these guys are out here dumbing down:snoop:

if not that,you are constantly saying they cant compare to 90's nikkas. While true no need to hammer it home at every turn randomly.