Lyricism is dead because it takes too long to write witty lines..these new rappers are just lazy

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Lettuce not forget Jay stressing that he wasn't a rapper.
Cam - I'm a businessman I ain't trying to be lyrical.

Even lyrical rappers were downplaying lyricism.

Yeah, but they were actually nice and obviously fronting. I always took that as "look at how nice I am and I don't even care about this shyt"....even though they clearly did care. Cam has several interviews where he's said he'd respond to virtually anyone dissing him, because you gotta maintain your rep.

And Jay....well, Jay dissed Meeno from Harlem World.

These are not the actions of people that don't care about lyrics.

Fred.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
:martin:

Cherry picking? Cole and Kendrick is all u got?

Lets go 90's shall we. Rakim, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Smiff N Wesson, Nas, Gza, Meth, Deck, Ghostface, Raekwon, Heltah Skeltah, Early Cube, Kam, Lord Finesse , Big L, Mase, Canibus, Pun, Eminem, Jeru The Damaja, Scarface, Common, Ras Kas, Killah Priest, AZ, Jay Z, Grand Puba

Thats 30 to your 2.

Now post 28 more mcs from this era that are lyrically witty and well known and I'll take u serious.
There's a bunch...even the nikkas y'all say are wack are more witty than given credit for.

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Thats where we have to disagree....MC will always be defined as EMCEE.....someone who can rock a stage. 2Pac can rock a stage, Biggie can rock a stage. LL lyrically fell off but could still rock a stage. Thats what I will always define as an MC/EMCEE. Lyrical (and I'm going the the 90's version of what lyrical means) is exactly what u said it wasn't...big words, metaphors,, compounds, punchlines...Lyrical is G Rap, Canibus, Pun and Big L for example. Pac never really stressed punchlines and compounds like that but he had rhyme schemes out the ass and his flow was sick. Again 2Pac was an MC...his energy and passion to rock a mic and stage was there.

I guess we just all have different definitions but I like to keep the definitions to their core.
Most of those guys were MCs by default anyway tho. You had to be able to rock a stage back in the day

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I believe a good lyricist is someone who is able to weave together words to make a compelling listen. It doesn't have to be a verse filled with big words or metaphors. Look at Prodigy (R.I.P to the God) and some of his verses. Dude had this uncanny ability to paint some of the most vivid scenes in Hip Hop history and he very rarely used big words and he was light on punchlines and metaphors. THAT is what I consider to be a great lyricist. Look at his verse from Streets Raised Me for instance:

Vision the canvas I paint a picture
Similar to Ernie Barnes nikka
But mines is more ghetto, more guns
More drugs, mostly thugs
All my duns, their baby moms, daughters and sons
Dark blocks, with streets lamps shot the fukk out
Park benches broke, a nikka stretched out
Jumped off the roof to his death its real
Hand Ball walls displayed with R-I-P murals
Those who sling, play the shadows by the building
Devils spring, keep em going while the snows blowing
Grams get dipped, 50's are smoked, cookies are broke
And Spliced in large pieces for the fiends to smoke
The sun set looks beautiful over the projects
What a shame, it ain't the same where we stand at
If you look close you can see the bricks chipped off
Sometimes nikkas miss when they lick off, don't get clipped off
Street life

:wow:
:psalute:

O.G.B

Real O.G.
Bushed
Daps
:martin:

Cherry picking? Cole and Kendrick is all u got?

Lets go 90's shall we. Rakim, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Smiff N Wesson, Nas, Gza, Meth, Deck, Ghostface, Raekwon, Heltah Skeltah, Early Cube, Kam, Lord Finesse , Big L, Mase, Canibus, Pun, Eminem, Jeru The Damaja, Scarface, Common, Ras Kas, Killah Priest, AZ, Jay Z, Grand Puba

Thats 30 to your 2.

Now post 28 more mcs from this era that are lyrically witty and well known and I'll take u serious.

Why bother? If you're cherry picking, you're just going to try and reduce the people I post up with your own qualifications, even if they are lyrically gifted. Which was besides my point of course. Lyricism isn't dead, it didn't go anywhere, in fact you helped my point...just two lyrical giants made a huge movement. We can include Eminem, as his cypher was as expected, polarizing.

The 90's had hammy acts as well...Vanilla Ice, Shabba Ranks, Sir Mix A lot, MC Hammer, Master P, etc. Lyricism didn't die or dwindle because these one hit wonders were present...the same thing applies in this era.

You're deflecting breh! :pachaha:

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan
good. that punchline rapping shyt is played out anyway. storytelling and conceptual shyt >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Lyricism is dead because appreciation for literature is dead period. Technology changed that. This is a society that is far less wordy. The less wordy, the better. Being clever through figurative language isn't as valued. These days it's about saying something catchy (regardless of how corny) in less than 140 characters. Painting pictures with words and taking listeners in a journey with you is a lost art. Make a banger with the same words repeated over a trap beat and its:dj2:

That is why it's no surprise that songs are more melodic, because you don't need as many words.

PCHMalibu

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Malibu
If you can write, you can write. Some ppl can come up with bars without hesitation. It's second nature like breathing. We live in a microwave generation where being not being lyrical is very acceptable. So essentially, most new MCs do just the bare minimum and get rewarded with radio play and streams.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
If you can write, you can write. Some ppl can come up with bars without hesitation. It's second nature like breathing. We live in a microwave generation where being not being lyrical is very acceptable. So essentially, most new MCs do just the bare minimum and get rewarded with radio play and streams.

This. It takes practice to perfect the craft but at the end of the day the values of the audience shifted. So while there are spitters out there who mastered that aspect of the craft, that alone isn't as appreciated as it once was.

filial_piety

Banned
Daps
Reppin
I95S
i gave up on this a long time ago...when I asked this youngin where are today's Raekwon's, Mobb Deeps and Nas's?

Mind you he's from QB born and raised....

He looked at me and said :dwillhuh:...them nikkas old man...they're like 50 :mjlol: ...those dudes are our fathers....:pachaha:

I took a step back and had to hear him out....:jbhmm:

then he straight up said

"we don't want smart lyrical rap....we want fast ignorant rap that makes no sense....because the world has taught us to be that way...we're the social media generation, and out attention spans are too short... and this is what we want."

After that I was like....:wow::hubie:

Hard to argue with him....

When I was a buck in the early 90s...there was always this speech from the the RUN DMC, Fat Boys, Break dancing, Bustin generation that thought we was ignorant and the rap was "too violent"

We didn't see it that way at the time...but they did, and they were comparing it to the early 80s stuff that made me go :what: too.

So I get it

Them nikkas want the bobbiddy bibiddy boop mumble raps with heavy base while they pop percs and sip lean :wow:

It's their generation...and their call...who am I to argue that :manny:

Daps
Reppin
prosper any where on earth
I believe a good lyricist is someone who is able to weave together words to make a compelling listen. It doesn't have to be a verse filled with big words or metaphors. Look at Prodigy (R.I.P to the God) and some of his verses. Dude had this uncanny ability to paint some of the most vivid scenes in Hip Hop history and he very rarely used big words and he was light on punchlines and metaphors. THAT is what I consider to be a great lyricist. Look at his verse from Streets Raised Me for instance:

Vision the canvas I paint a picture
Similar to Ernie Barnes nikka
But mines is more ghetto, more guns
More drugs, mostly thugs
All my duns, their baby moms, daughters and sons
Dark blocks, with streets lamps shot the fukk out
Park benches broke, a nikka stretched out
Jumped off the roof to his death its real
Hand Ball walls displayed with R-I-P murals
Those who sling, play the shadows by the building
Devils spring, keep em going while the snows blowing
Grams get dipped, 50's are smoked, cookies are broke
And Spliced in large pieces for the fiends to smoke
The sun set looks beautiful over the projects
What a shame, it ain't the same where we stand at
If you look close you can see the bricks chipped off
Sometimes nikkas miss when they lick off, don't get clipped off
Street life

:wow:
P alone was dope as lyricist . He was light on those as you said and was top 5 in the 90s. That’s why jay dissed him. He seen him respectfully as comp. keep it thoro rarely has flashy lyricism. That song is straight delivery and style and confidence! Son had a cold doing that song yo!

Fresh

SOHH Vet since 2002
Daps
lyricism died when the South took over and put so much more emphasis on beats.

To the second part as far as not writing your rhymes down Jay DIDN'T START IT, but Jay was the main one sayin he didn't write his rhymes down back when every rapper wanted to be like Jay.

But the South, as far as the movement and when it took over that's when the value of lyricism went WAY down. It was all about the beat, nothing more