Lyricism is dead because it takes too long to write witty lines..these new rappers are just lazy

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Lyricism is dead because every nikka wants to follow biggie of not writing their lyrics down and say all they need is that lean:snoop:
Big was writing he just was able to do it in his head

Big did not literally go off top. He just was able to structure it in his head.

Or record 1 or 2 bars at a time

And as @Billy Ocean said there been nikkas who said he wrote(pen to paper)
I ALWAYS said this. Dudes on here would tell me that cats like Cube or Biggie or Beanie Sigel weren't really that lyrical as opposed to dudes like Eminem or Black Thought and I find that funny. You have to be lyrically gifted to make a song that hits you like a Miss U or Pac's Keep Ya Head Up. You don't have to be rippity rappity or use a bunch or metaphors and polysyllabic words to be lyrical. Matter fact most dudes that are usually considered to be the best MCs of all time aren't rippity rappity ass rappers.
Some people need to also stop thinking whoever is the most lyrical is= the best MC/rapper there r other factors to a rapper than that

I always say
Pac what makes GOAT as MC for his versatili in skill and artistry.

Pac literally did/can do everything.

And for others whether nas or Jay there's a reason why they r to besides just"lyricism"

Another thing need to stop is that being "lyrical" means to be some rappity rapper incorporating multi syllables all over.

PhonZhi

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atl, Ga by way of Alabama
Rap became party/club music. Basicly dumbed down music as far as the mainstream.

I remember when I could turn my radio/Rap City on and hear music from lyrical giants like Mos Def & Kweli, AZ, Common, Big Pun, The Roots, Royce Da 5'9, etc. Even dudes like Canibus and Pharoah Monch had songs in the mainstream.

I remember when I could hear serious songs tackling serious issues in the mainstream.

Crazy when you think back on it:mindblown:

But back then that was the norm.

Somewhere around 03ish shyt changed up and it was all about making the women dance.

Laffy Taffy, Soulja Boy, Lil Jon,etc took over and that was all she wrote.:yeshrug:

Now everything in the mainstream caters to women/stripclubs and young aspiring rappers say to themselves "if I wanna make a living off rap THATS the type of music I have to make ":ohhh:

This is why everything sounds alike. This is why all the beats sounds alike. This is why all the ad-libs sound alike. This is why every rapper is saying "yea" or "ay" after every line now. This is why everybody is using that Migos flow.

There's really no INCENTIVE for a young up and coming MC to spit like Nas or Lupe. They see the Fetty Wap's and Lil Yachtys making it big and copy that style.

Kinguno

The Immortal
Daps
Reppin
New York
But Big was nice as hell. Its one thing to not write and still be nice. Its another thing to not write and say a bunch of bullshyt

Yeah but it influenced Jigga who influenced Wayne and Wayne inspired so many including Young Thug who is putting the belief that they can get rich off rap in their minds

mbz

Pro
Daps
Lazy writers existed before Pac died, and before hiphop.

fukk outta here :smugdraper:

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
I think people get lyricism confused with using a bunch of big words and metaphors and shyt. Pac was never the best MC but he was lyrical in a sense that he could get his point across using very few words. Similar to Cube and KRS One. Pac spent a lot of time in the studio but he was serious about his craft. The problem with a lot of rappers now is that even tho they spend a lot of time in the studio they don't take their pen game serious. Their goal is to put out as much music as possible becuz the landscape of the game has changed
I ALWAYS said this. Dudes on here would tell me that cats like Cube or Biggie or Beanie Sigel weren't really that lyrical as opposed to dudes like Eminem or Black Thought and I find that funny. You have to be lyrically gifted to make a song that hits you like a Miss U or Pac's Keep Ya Head Up. You don't have to be rippity rappity or use a bunch or metaphors and polysyllabic words to be lyrical. Matter fact most dudes that are usually considered to be the best MCs of all time aren't rippity rappity ass rappers.

Thats where we have to disagree....MC will always be defined as EMCEE.....someone who can rock a stage. 2Pac can rock a stage, Biggie can rock a stage. LL lyrically fell off but could still rock a stage. Thats what I will always define as an MC/EMCEE. Lyrical (and I'm going the the 90's version of what lyrical means) is exactly what u said it wasn't...big words, metaphors,, compounds, punchlines...Lyrical is G Rap, Canibus, Pun and Big L for example. Pac never really stressed punchlines and compounds like that but he had rhyme schemes out the ass and his flow was sick. Again 2Pac was an MC...his energy and passion to rock a mic and stage was there.

I guess we just all have different definitions but I like to keep the definitions to their core.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Why bother? If you're cherry picking, you're just going to try and reduce the people I post up with your own qualifications, even if they are lyrically gifted. Which was besides my point of course. Lyricism isn't dead, it didn't go anywhere, in fact you helped my point...just two lyrical giants made a huge movement. We can include Eminem, as his cypher was as expected, polarizing.

The 90's had hammy acts as well...Vanilla Ice, Shabba Ranks, Sir Mix A lot, MC Hammer, Master P, etc. Lyricism didn't die or dwindle because these one hit wonders were present...the same thing applies in this era.

:comeon:

Thread title says "new rappers" and you talking about adding Eminem who is a late 90's rapper.

Like I said....post 28 popular rappers from this decade that can lyrically match the 30 I posted and I'll take u serious.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
5O7e_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

You're a big Wu Tang Fan.....I already peeped how defensive u are towards Wu Tang rappers. When Raekwons album dropped this year you were going extra. In that thread about Ghostfaces son being gay u were going extra. In that Cube vs Ghostface thread u were going extra. You are a Wu Tang Clan superfan so I really dont expect you to be objective and say otherwise.

I put my version together in 1996 when I was 17. Queens Gambit dropped in 2005 when Gza was 39.

Go ahead and compare these 4 bars were we both use "Cardinals"....You'll notice I stayed using compounds for every 4 bars and I did that on the whole song. GZA didnt do that. GZA is a waaaaay better rapper and MC then me but when it came to this concept...I ate him.

There should be order regarding who's in ranks
Hip Hop CHIEFS should be respected like CARDINALS & SAINTS
You cant enter the stage with lyrical carving tools and shanks
You have to come with an arsenal of tanks

She dated jolly green GIANTS, that, flew on JETS
An A-list actress, who was never walked off sets
She loved stuffed animals, especially BEARS
Was a role model, like a CARDINAL to our peers

:patrice:

:russ:

I feel you, bro. Your shyt is dope and you made a good point with the age thing.

And I didn't go extra hard in that Cube/Ghost thread. I just think Ghost had the overall more consistent career and I wanted to make that clear, seeing as they had one particular Westcoast dikksucker in there trying to downplay Ghost shyt.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Joey Bada$$
Chance The Rapper
Dave East
Meek Mill
ScHoolboy Q

Mick Jenkins
Big K.R.I.T
Vince Staples
AB-Soul

^ They’re known to a lesser extent

They not lyrically close to the level of the dudes you mentioned except maybe Joey, Mick and Soul but :yeshrug:
Wale
Don Q
Nick Grant
Lupe
Freddie Gibbs

as well

He needs help so I'll help him too:

Cyhi The Prince, Logic,Earl Sweatshirt, Action Bronson ,.........Lesser knowns...Rapsody.. AFRO, Westside Gun, Willie The Kid. Roc Marciano,Underacheivers. Danny Brown, Lil Bibby.

So added all together thats only 13 popular lyrical rappers from this decade (Lupe dont count he's from last decade) compared to the 30 I posted.(not including the lesser knowns because then I can go into Supernatural and Snagglepuss from the 90's and keep going if we doing lesser knowns)

:francis:

Last edited:

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
He needs help so I'll help him too:

Cyhi The Prince, Logic,Earl Sweatshirt, Action Bronson ,.........Lesser knowns...Rapsody.. AFRO, Westside Gun, Willie The Kid. Roc Marciano,Underacheivers. Danny Brown, Lil Bibby.

So added all together thats only 13 popular lyrical rappers from this decade (Lupe dont count he's from last decade) compared to the 30 I posted.(not including the lesser knowns because then I can go into Supernatural and Snagglepuss from the 90's and keep going if we doing lesser knowns)

:francis:

None of them dudes really mainstream besides Logic tho

Mainstream wise lyricism is dead now more than any other decade easily

Daps
Reppin
prosper any where on earth
Honestly I believe great lyricist make catchy songs or lines and have dope schemes and bars
Such as

Children’s story

Shookones

One more chance

Dear mama

Made you look

Dirt on your shoulders

DNA

No role models

Amili

Lupe’s superstar

These songs have bars but they are catchy too
Without trying to be.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
Thats where we have to disagree....MC will always be defined as EMCEE.....someone who can rock a stage. 2Pac can rock a stage, Biggie can rock a stage. LL lyrically fell off but could still rock a stage. Thats what I will always define as an MC/EMCEE. Lyrical (and I'm going the the 90's version of what lyrical means) is exactly what u said it wasn't...big words, metaphors,, compounds, punchlines...Lyrical is G Rap, Canibus, Pun and Big L for example. Pac never really stressed punchlines and compounds like that but he had rhyme schemes out the ass and his flow was sick. Again 2Pac was an MC...his energy and passion to rock a mic and stage was there.

I guess we just all have different definitions but I like to keep the definitions to their core.

I believe a good lyricist is someone who is able to weave together words to make a compelling listen. It doesn't have to be a verse filled with big words or metaphors. Look at Prodigy (R.I.P to the God) and some of his verses. Dude had this uncanny ability to paint some of the most vivid scenes in Hip Hop history and he very rarely used big words and he was light on punchlines and metaphors. THAT is what I consider to be a great lyricist. Look at his verse from Streets Raised Me for instance:

Vision the canvas I paint a picture
Similar to Ernie Barnes nikka
But mines is more ghetto, more guns
More drugs, mostly thugs
All my duns, their baby moms, daughters and sons
Dark blocks, with streets lamps shot the fukk out
Park benches broke, a nikka stretched out
Jumped off the roof to his death its real
Hand Ball walls displayed with R-I-P murals
Those who sling, play the shadows by the building
Devils spring, keep em going while the snows blowing
Grams get dipped, 50's are smoked, cookies are broke