Lyricism is dead because it takes too long to write witty lines..these new rappers are just lazy

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
How is lyricism dead if Cole and K-Dot are heralded as the second coming of both Nas and Pac? :gucci:

OP you're confusing infamy with actual production. Cole dropped several albums, DAMN is Kendrick's tour de force. You're only cherry picking either, one hit wonders or less lyrical acts to justify your point.....however, it just isn't true. Lyricism will never die...obviously.

The top charting acts on the Billboard have always been vapid or even less lyrical acts. Keep in mind that Sir Mix-a lot went double platinum...rap/lyricism wasn't dead when that happened, and certainly won't be dead in this age.

:martin:

Cherry picking? Cole and Kendrick is all u got?

Lets go 90's shall we. Rakim, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Smiff N Wesson, Nas, Gza, Meth, Deck, Ghostface, Raekwon, Heltah Skeltah, Early Cube, Kam, Lord Finesse , Big L, Mase, Canibus, Pun, Eminem, Jeru The Damaja, Scarface, Common, Ras Kas, Killah Priest, AZ, Jay Z, Grand Puba

Thats 30 to your 2.

Now post 28 more mcs from this era that are lyrically witty and well known and I'll take u serious.

Billy Ocean

Divine Universal Black Man Representin'
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
I think people get lyricism confused with using a bunch of big words and metaphors and shyt. Pac was never the best MC but he was lyrical in a sense that he could get his point across using very few words. Similar to Cube and KRS One. Pac spent a lot of time in the studio but he was serious about his craft. The problem with a lot of rappers now is that even tho they spend a lot of time in the studio they don't take their pen game serious. Their goal is to put out as much music as possible becuz the landscape of the game has changed

I ALWAYS said this. Dudes on here would tell me that cats like Cube or Biggie or Beanie Sigel weren't really that lyrical as opposed to dudes like Eminem or Black Thought and I find that funny. You have to be lyrically gifted to make a song that hits you like a Miss U or Pac's Keep Ya Head Up. You don't have to be rippity rappity or use a bunch or metaphors and polysyllabic words to be lyrical. Matter fact most dudes that are usually considered to be the best MCs of all time aren't rippity rappity ass rappers.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys

Lets go 90's shall we. Rakim, Kool G Rap, Biggie, Smiff N Wesson, Nas, Gza, Meth, Deck, Ghostface, Raekwon, Heltah Skeltah, Early Cube, Kam, Lord Finesse , Big L, Mase, Canibus, Pun, Eminem, Jeru The Damaja, Scarface, Common, Ras Kas, Killah Priest, AZ, Jay Z, Grand Puba

Thats 30 to your 2.

Now post 28 more mcs from this era that are lyrically witty and well known and I'll take u serious.

Why bother? If you're cherry picking, you're just going to try and reduce the people I post up with your own qualifications, even if they are lyrically gifted. Which was besides my point of course. Lyricism isn't dead, it didn't go anywhere, in fact you helped my point...just two lyrical giants made a huge movement. We can include Eminem, as his cypher was as expected, polarizing.

The 90's had hammy acts as well...Vanilla Ice, Shabba Ranks, Sir Mix A lot, MC Hammer, Master P, etc. Lyricism didn't die or dwindle because these one hit wonders were present...the same thing applies in this era.

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps
Lettuce not forget Jay stressing that he wasn't a rapper.
Cam - I'm a businessman I ain't trying to be lyrical.

Even lyrical rappers were downplaying lyricism.

They were hustlers tho, they just couldn’t be wack cause back then You probably wasn’t getting on if ou were trash

Black_Panther_JS

Superstar
Daps

Thats 30 to your 2.

Joey Bada$$
Chance The Rapper
Dave East
Meek Mill
ScHoolboy Q

Mick Jenkins
Big K.R.I.T
Vince Staples
AB-Soul

^ They’re known to a lesser extent

They not lyrically close to the level of the dudes you mentioned except maybe Joey, Mick and Soul but :yeshrug:

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
What are the legal reasons

Copyright laws.
Fair use.

So whenever anyone either quotes you or borrows a line, they can never claim it as their own, due to you of course writing it down. Again, lawyers have thought if this from all angles. Any rapper that says they never wrote down their lines are obviously lying. But the common civi doesn't do the research.

Ron Fox

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Thats top secret information
With all due respect, GZA shyt is crushing whatever you posted in the OP @Ron Fox.

5O7e_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

You're a big Wu Tang Fan.....I already peeped how defensive u are towards Wu Tang rappers. When Raekwons album dropped this year you were going extra. In that thread about Ghostfaces son being gay u were going extra. In that Cube vs Ghostface thread u were going extra. You are a Wu Tang Clan superfan so I really dont expect you to be objective and say otherwise.

I put my version together in 1996 when I was 17. Queens Gambit dropped in 2005 when Gza was 39.

Go ahead and compare these 4 bars were we both use "Cardinals"....You'll notice I stayed using compounds for every 4 bars and I did that on the whole song. GZA didnt do that. GZA is a waaaaay better rapper and MC then me but when it came to this concept...I ate him.

There should be order regarding who's in ranks
Hip Hop CHIEFS should be respected like CARDINALS & SAINTS
You cant enter the stage with lyrical carving tools and shanks
You have to come with an arsenal of tanks

She dated jolly green GIANTS, that, flew on JETS
An A-list actress, who was never walked off sets
She loved stuffed animals, especially BEARS
Was a role model, like a CARDINAL to our peers

:patrice:

THE MACHINE

night owl
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Joey Bada$$
Chance The Rapper
Dave East
Meek Mill
ScHoolboy Q

Mick Jenkins
Big K.R.I.T
Vince Staples
AB-Soul

^ They’re known to a lesser extent

They not lyrically close to the level of the dudes you mentioned except maybe Joey, Mick and Soul but :yeshrug:
Wale
Don Q
Nick Grant
Lupe
Freddie Gibbs

as well

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
That shyt was so wack, especially considering that it came from several rappers...like Cam and Jay...that you know were putting effort into their rhymes.
Jay especially is very lyrical. He's the metaphor king. I think people like him and Cam calling themselves businessman instead of rappers was their way of bragging. Like "we're so nice and we really aren't even trying"