Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
@JahBuhLun
@Meh
@Dip
@mannyrs13

Black Miami barely covered Overtown like that, if you brehs is looking for a documentary that covers more in depth about overtown I'd Suggest these 2 docs

The first documentary basically shows more detail on the rise and fall of Overtown, as well as the disenfranchisement that this city has done to keep it from ever being a black mecca again. The 2nd documentary talks about Overtown's musical genre "Deep City" Which was a blend of Jazz, Caribbean rhythm, and the sounds of the FAMU Marching band

Biscayne

Ocean air
Daps
Reppin
Cruisin’
@JahBuhLun
@Meh
@Dip
@mannyrs13

Black Miami barely covered Overtown like that, if you brehs is looking for a documentary that covers more in depth about overtown I'd Suggest these 2 docs

The first documentary basically shows more detail on the rise and fall of Overtown, as well as the disenfranchisement that this city has done to keep it from ever being a black mecca again. The 2nd documentary talks about Overtown's musical genre "Deep City" Which was a blend of Jazz, Caribbean rhythm, and the sounds of the FAMU Marching band

Thanks for the links!!

:krs:

crush_sumpin

true & real
Daps
Reppin
"planet earth,is my place of birth.."
Houston sells no dreams

I never referred to dream selling, I'm saying htown is overrated. supposedly the 4th largest city, houston is made up of a bunch of small towns..and it's population is made up of mostly people who come from other small towns and bring their small town mentalities with them. I am not impressed.

Gifted one

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Thanks for the links!!

:krs:

You better drop your 2 cents after you watch this piff :myman: I ended up running into dude that was in kci and the sunshine band in liberty city at my friend crib because he was doing a gig for him. He is the lightskin dude you'll see in the 2nd vid. When I saw him in the doc I was :ohhh:

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
I never referred to dream selling, I'm saying htown is overrated. supposedly the 4th largest city, houston is made up of a bunch of small towns..and it's population is made up of mostly people who come from other small towns and bring their small town mentalities with them. I am not impressed.
For real. From media, it looks like a slow ass place. Even with all those people.

Carlton Banks

Upper Class
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
I never felt major similarities with the "South" growing up in Miami. It's a mesh of Carribean, Southern, and Northeast

That's my experience. I'm sure you'll find people that consider Miami very southern. But that's what I saw growing up.
Yeah, I definitely forgot I was in "the South" living in South Florida most times. North Florida reminded me tho lol

Perfectson

Banned
Daps
I'd take it a step further and say that the actual city of Miami is underrated, while Miami Beach is overrated. People underrate the ACTUAL Miami, because the notion that the "REAL" Miami is like some slummed out Rick Ross video. I've been hearing folks say the same ole' "South Beach is just a facade, the REAL Miami is dirty, poor and ugly".

While that does have SOME validity to it, they make it seem like Outside of Miami Beach, Dade County has nothing to offer. When in reality, the actual city of Miami is filled with cultural institutions, museums, galleries, urban neighborhoods that AREN'T just infested with Fiends and Flakka heads. Hell, even Little Haiti and it's reputation for being poor is overstated. Lil Haiti has a lovely Haitian-History museum and other cultural institutions. Overtown has the Lyric Theater, Little Havana is covered in History, Coconut Grove is one of the more unique and historic neighborhoods in the US, Coral Gables is something out of a canvas, Allapatah gives you Dominican culture undiluted, and Wynwood, Design District, Irondistrict, and Edgewater are filled with artist and creatives and all that crap. Downtown has the Perez Arts Museum, the Frost Science Museum and other cultural institutions.

As much as people Build up and hype up Miami, I think Miami's actual city-limits are underrated as far as finding things to do and as far as interesting neighborhoods go. And then the surrounding burbs in Dade County all have their own unique corridors..North Miami has the Modern Art Museum in it's downtown corridor, right next to the Haitian club.

Wynwood is exploding, that's all i know

in 5 years there will be litearally be a dense area of galleries, shops, restuarants, and events between Wynwood and the design district

Brickell is already becoming the south's Manhatten and one they are done with the two malls (bricklle and downtown) Miami is gonna explode even more. People are already leaving the beach to come visit wywood.

Edgewater is starting to pop and once they redo the omni and put some more events around there , it will be a great gateway and community between downtown and wynwood

then you have the more "chill" areas like Coral Gables (tarpon bend on thursdays and fridays is a mad house).

you have a caribbean population in kendall, el portal, and cutler bay area..

jewish populatin in aventura

you got the more down to earth latins up in Hialeah

and if you include the caribbean population in pembroke and miramar and all the events they do, Miami /south florida has really come up and is now starting to come in its own.

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps

in 5 years there will be litearally be a dense area of galleries, shops, restuarants, and events between Wynwood and the design district

Brickell is already becoming the south's Manhatten and one they are done with the two malls (bricklle and downtown) Miami is gonna explode even more. People are already leaving the beach to come visit wywood.

Edgewater is starting to pop and once they redo the omni and put some more events around there , it will be a great gateway and community between downtown and wynwood

then you have the more "chill" areas like Coral Gables (tarpon bend on thursdays and fridays is a mad house).

and if you include the caribbean population in pembroke and miramar and all the events they do, Miami /south florida has really come up and is now starting to come in its own.
What about the black folks?

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

klutch2381

A Doctor of Love
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
If you think you're lonely now, ohhh girl...
houston is way more overrated.

I'm from FL, but lived there for a year when I went to UH. I really, really hated that place. I thought shyt was going to be :banderas:. shyt wasn't like that at all :sadcam:. The women are overrated as hell too. FL women >>>

Had me thinking it was just a gaggle of Beyonce's walking around and shyt. :wow:

Thierry Henry

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Emirates Stadium
All the bad bytches in Dolphin Mall>>>

:banderas: :banderas:

Black Miami by Marvin Dunn is the documentary that tells Miami''s black history but the book is way better than the film. Miami and south Florida as a whole is filled with black history especially considering the fact that the reconstruction period basically gave birth to Broward. Dania and Hallandale were part of Miami at one point. Overtown is a shythole but you still have the historic lyric theater there, Jacksons soul food on 3rd ave, old Clyde pool hall on 2nd across from the lyric, you got the Hampton house in liberty city which is where mlk would frequent. MLK was always in liberty city with the black professionals and Malcolm was always in overtown for the most part and would frequent liberty city time to time. He was a key figure in building the mosque here on 7th ave. Liberty city is filled with culture, the African heritage cultural arts center, The Tacolcy center, Hampton house are all historical landmarks to any real Miami native. I wouldn't suggest you to go to the beans unless you know people there, but when you go to the eastern point of the beans, the wall that segregated the blacks from whites is still there but chopped down a bit. You got smoke signals studio in Lil Haiti on 46th, that's where my homie crib is at, many people from Mos Def, Saul Williams, Talib, David Banner, and other known people would hang there and even hold concerts and parties, you got the Little Haiti cultural center as well. Lots of these areas is being sadly gentrified. But there is tons of culture and history to Dade county, up north in Broward you have historical black communities like Sistrunk, Danie, Pompano, Liberia, the ranches, Hallandale, and Deerfield that have a lot of landmarks(some of these places you have to know someone from there because it could get spooky for you :merchant: ) but if you do research you'll find some dope history. As for social things to do, check out urbanMiami because they do showcase a lot of dope local events in the area besides the typical club life.
:ohhh: :ohhh:

all that damn construction going on is why we have terrible traffic :pachaha: