Lord of The Rings: Rings of Power TV Series - Season 2 (August. 29. 2024/Official Thread)

Daps
I actually really enjoyed both episodes thus far, really engrossing. The visuals are stunning and the cast is doing a great job, everyone is convincing in their roles. Too bad the Tolkien estate didn't give Amazon the rights for the Silmarillion, so much of the lore can't be shown. And it's lore that I think is important to understand the stakes. Made me go on youtube binge to refresh my memory, i strongly advise anyone interested to take a look at least at Tolkien's myth of creation in the Silmarillion and how Middle-Earth was created. From a pure writing/creative standpoint it's quite a fascinating storytelling.

Only thing I thought was weird was Galadriel jumping from the boat.

Anyone concerned about the backlash online should really take a look, the criticism is as usual overblown because of the few non-white cast members. :mjpls:

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!
I actually really enjoyed both episodes thus far, really engrossing. The visuals are stunning and the cast is doing a great job, everyone is convincing in their roles. Too bad the Tolkien estate didn't give Amazon the rights for the Silmarillion, so much of the lore can't be shown. And it's lore that I think is important to understand the stakes. Made me go on youtube binge to refresh my memory, i strongly advise anyone interested to take a look at least at Tolkien's myth of creation in the Silmarillion and how Middle-Earth was created. From a pure writing/creative standpoint it's quite a fascinating storytelling.

Only thing I thought was weird was Galadriel jumping from the boat.

Anyone concerned about the backlash online should really take a look, the criticism is as usual overblown because of the few non-white cast members. :mjpls:
Do Elves have infinite endurance/stamina? If so, its not THAT bad
if she knows for a fact that she can swim for days without drowning.

Daps
Do Elves have infinite endurance/stamina? If so, its not THAT bad
if she knows for a fact that she can swim for days without drowning.
Compared to men elves are stronger, more agile and their senses are way sensitive. Their vision is often compared to birds of prey and their hearing is also increased and they can... sense shyt. If you dig even deeper into the lore, elves actually have a control over their soul/spirit and that's what makes them stronger than men because they're moving in the physical ream and the spiritual plane.

But I digress :troll:

I didn't like it from a character standpoint. I get that this is a far younger Galadriel and I'm glad that they're showing us her past as a warrior but I dunno... I get that the writers wanted this scene to add tension and show some inner-conflict but I thought it was quite impulsive, and not very well planned from her. But hey we'll see in the long run.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

Wait, they're doing this without the Silmarillion? That's wild, I had assumed that's what it was all going to be based on.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Nah, they just bothered to see non-white faces in their fantasies. It wasn't even a big deal. It's one of those "hmmm" moments when you see a non-white elf and then your brain moves on and you accept it as part of the story. It's really not a big deal. I mean we're talking about dwarves and elves.

It's not the usual thing we've seen 100x in the past so there's always gonna be resistance. Big deal. The major question for the underlying issue is, "is the Tolkien world based on a white world?". Tolkien wrote that shyt during his time in England surrounded by nothing but white folks so I bet in his head, the world he created reflected that.

Is it so wrong to switch up the characters a bit? I'm sure he didn't imagine lots of details that were added or changed in the original LOTR movies. Do we have to keep it white to be true to his story?

It's not even switching them up, Tolkien apparently hated racism and purposely avoided giving race to any of this characters. When he was asked whether his characters were White or non-White he refused to answer:

“I have the hatred of apartheid in my bones; and most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language and Literature. I do not care which of them you think White."

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
It's not even switching them up, Tolkien apparently hated racism and purposely avoided giving race to any of this characters. When he was asked whether his characters were White or non-White he refused to answer:

“I have the hatred of apartheid in my bones; and most of all I detest the segregation or separation of Language and Literature. I do not care which of them you think White."
Interesting. Didn’t know that

Daps
Wait, they're doing this without the Silmarillion? That's wild, I had assumed that's what it was all going to be based on.
Yeah. It's even weirder considereing the fact that Tolkien's work will enter public domain in 25 years. The estate really missed an opportunity to make bank.

Soymuscle Mike

Formerly known as Vincenzo Corleone
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sweetlake City
Compared to men elves are stronger, more agile and their senses are way sensitive. Their vision is often compared to birds of prey and their hearing is also increased and they can... sense shyt. If you dig even deeper into the lore, elves actually have a control over their soul/spirit and that's what makes them stronger than men because they're moving in the physical ream and the spiritual plane.

But I digress :troll:

I didn't like it from a character standpoint. I get that this is a far younger Galadriel and I'm glad that they're showing us her past as a warrior but I dunno... I get that the writers wanted this scene to add tension and show some inner-conflict but I thought it was quite impulsive, and not very well planned from her. But hey we'll see in the long run.

They dramatized a brief Tolkien quote, I liked it visually but it's a huge stretch from what I think Tolkien envisioned for Galadriel:
"at the end of the first age she proudly refused forgiveness or permission to return".

Pretty sure he meant that she never even would've set foot on the boat. So I kind of agree that it didn't really fit, even though I can forgive it for the visuals we got out of it.

pez

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Queens, NY
They dramatized a brief Tolkien quote, I liked it visually but it's a huge stretch from what I think Tolkien envisioned for Galadriel:
"at the end of the first age she proudly refused forgiveness or permission to return".

Pretty sure he meant that she never even would've set foot on the boat. So I kind of agree that it didn't really fit, even though I can forgive it for the visuals we got out of it.
Kind of disappointed by her lack of bosom coming out of the water. But she’s damn pretty.

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
Him and Legolas reminded me of Shadow of war so much with one main captain orc who's pissed to keep coming back:mjlol::mjlol::mjlol::mjlol:This fight was dope I wish the hobbit didn't have to use so much cgi but I understand there was mad production issues
that joint any good?

this show got me wanting to start playing this shyt again :wow:

Image result for The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (video game)

Deafheaven

Gleaming and Empty
Supporter
Daps

I didn't know this, thats dope.