Looking for a new career that pays 150k+? GTFIH (HIRING!!)

Daps
You tower or enroute? Jacksonville

You tower or enroute? I'm enroute and honestly like it, but the older crowd in my area can be terrible. Any black/minorities in your facility or for the most part pretty terrible?

I've heard alot about Jacksonville center being terrible, but there's a rumor about an opening for transfers to go there and get move, etc paid. Not worth it to me but if there's someone stuck in some chitty tower might be worth it.
En route but barely (San Juan). Theres like 3 other black dudes here, most everything else is cacs and obviously a lot of locals.

Jacksonville im just repeating what ive heard other people say and how no one wants to leave there. I try to stay as uninvolved with shyt as I can lol, no union positions or cwgs or anything. San juan is perenially low staffing so only way out is to hardship or do the quit and reapply that a lot of people have been doing

What center you at?

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Damn so bad weather days y'all don't work?:ohhh:
We do work.. and they can be extra chitty. Basically pilots want to all deviate around it, so depending on your altitude stratums it can get pretty hectic with people not doing exactly what's on their "route"

Then you have certain altitudes that won't work cause of icing or turbulence, so the amount of "space" can get limited and hard in that sense. Plus it just means more coordinating with other facilities when people are deviating and things

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
En route but barely (San Juan). Theres like 3 other black dudes here, most everything else is cacs and obviously a lot of locals.

Jacksonville im just repeating what ive heard other people say and how no one wants to leave there. I try to stay as uninvolved with shyt as I can lol, no union positions or cwgs or anything. San juan is perenially low staffing so only way out is to hardship or do the quit and reapply that a lot of people have been doing

What center you at?
I don't wanna specify the center just in case but it's in the midwest. Are you from San Juan? Cause I thought that was the only way you could get it out of the academy.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Nah bad weather days we work extra hard.

Id rather have a shytton of airplanes over working weather man, shyt is horrible.

We do work.. and they can be extra chitty. Basically pilots want to all deviate around it, so depending on your altitude stratums it can get pretty hectic with people not doing exactly what's on their "route"

Then you have certain altitudes that won't work cause of icing or turbulence, so the amount of "space" can get limited and hard in that sense. Plus it just means more coordinating with other facilities when people are deviating and things

Weather don't even bother me. I thrive in the cold. Now if you walking on ice then it gets tricky.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I would have loved something like this but well I’m too old

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
“Must be under 31”
MessyGoodCats-size_restricted.gif

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Weather don't even bother me. I thrive in the cold. Now if you walking on ice then it gets tricky.
Lol nah brah we ain't outside in the cold or weather. We In a nice warm building. We just mean weather on the radar high in the clouds

Daps
I don't wanna specify the center just in case but it's in the midwest. Are you from San Juan? Cause I thought that was the only way you could get it out of the academy.
Nah. Most of the old people are from PR but almost everyone thats come in in the past 5 years is from the states.

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
It's why you always put headings in the 4th line as an ATC so you can have a visual of what you gave. But also unrealistic to an extent cause modern commerical airliners have TCAS which would alert the pilot of another aircraft and give instructions to miss
nikka what?

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
nikka what?
From breaking bad. There's a popular episode where an ATC gave a heading incorrectly to the wrong aircraft and they ended up crashing into each other.

I'm just saying that's unrealistic cause there's redundancy in place within the aircraft where you most likely aren't gonna run into each other when you're in a commercial airliner

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
From breaking bad. There's a popular episode where an ATC gave a heading incorrectly to the wrong aircraft and they ended up crashing into each other.

I'm just saying that's unrealistic cause there's redundancy in place within the aircraft where you most likely aren't gonna run into each other when you're in a commercial airliner

:jbhmm:

So break it down for a nikka like me. How you do that?

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
:jbhmm:

So break it down for a nikka like me. How you do that?
You're in front of a radar scope, and in the episode you tell this plan to climb to 13,000 ft... You type that in on your keyboard so you can see it. He then says fly heading 130... You type that in on your keyboard so you can see it so there's no mistakes.

But in the episode that never happens. Also if planes are both about to hit each other, commercial airliners have a system in place on the plane called TCAS where it will alert the pilots and tell them to move before they hit each other.

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Bumping this for anyone that needs it.. just got off a shift now, making some dinner. Felt like I had a good week and am open to any questions regarding air traffic cause I can get into some detail right now

jaydawg08

Superstar
Daps
Anyone who is looking to apply or just casually looking through this thread. I can give you a good rundown on what the process looks like and maybe if you apply and get accepted what it will look like.

The stress part is slightly overrated. The stress really comes from training... and it sucks. You gotta mold to different people, you gotta take in advice from people on what THEY want and how THEY would solve a problem, and then you just gotta get used to hearing negative feedback on about 100 different situations on "why didn't you do this" and "why didn't you do that".... but once you get over that part, it can be generally very chill. It's a career that once you are free from someone standing right behind you, you are free to make your own decisions and generally you've seen this scenario play out tons of different ways in your training.

The schedule may be the hardest part and the reason why people have a problem with the career. If you're young and don't really mind working weekends, then it's not a bad gig at all. Weekends tend to be generally "slow" but you are at the bottom of seniority so you are typically gonna have random weekdays as your off day. You may not be able to get that random Sat afternoon off to go to the BBQ, or the beach for your first 5-10 years, but that's what the $$ and sick leave is for lol.

Once you get off work... you don't really even think about work. Sometimes I catch myself thinking about certain traffic situations and maybe what I could have done differently, but you don't have to take a laptop home and worry about a deadline.. or worry about some project way off in the future. Once someone comes plug in next to you, you tell them exactly what is happening on the radar scope and who's doing what, then you're done and no longer have to worry about work.