Long Term Unemployment

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So you brought up the point that HR doesn't check some shyt. I know you can't speak for all HR depts but what are some of these things in particular?

Interested to know.

I'm not in HR...so, I can't say what they do and don't check. Nukka and ADD I believe are in those fields so they'd be better to ask. I do know we check references and that's about it. So if you were to say that you were a part of some obscure program or were volunteering or some shyt..we wouldn't check that shyt. It would be something we'd discuss like "Well, Eric seems like a good dude, he volunteers and is a part of several clubs. Seems very outgoing and would probably fit in well with the company"....

We come to a consensus on who we like...then check references and that's pretty much it.

Some don't even check your education and/or certs. Although, you should never lie about that. Again, the last 6+ years I've worked for mid size software companies (which are pretty loose) so I can't speak for bigger companies that are more by the book and have much larger HR departments.

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
I'm not in HR...so, I can't say what they do and don't check. Nukka and ADD I believe are in those fields so they'd be better to ask. I do know we check references and that's about it. So if you were to say that you were a part of some obscure program or were volunteering or some shyt..we wouldn't check that shyt. It would be something we'd discuss like "Well, Eric seems like a good dude, he volunteers and is a part of several clubs. Seems very outgoing and would probably fit in well with the company"....

We come to a consensus on who we like...then check references and that's pretty much it.

Some don't even check your education and/or certs. Although, you should never lie about that. Again, the last 6+ years I've worked for mid size software companies (which are pretty loose) so I can't speak for bigger companies that are more by the book and have much larger HR departments.

Gotcha! I figured that some HR depts didn't check all that shyt considering the multitude of applicants. Thanks brethren.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
having more than a bit of first hand experience in HR, I can also second j-lova and confirm that businesses rarely, if ever, check volunteering/organizational activities. you'd only run into a problem if you falsely purport to be a member of a certain program, and one of your interviewers is an actual member. then you're fukked.

most firms just do employer references (and they usually avoid questions about the quality of your work because most employers won't answer them for legal reasons), background checks, and education verification.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
having more than a bit of first hand experience in HR, I can also second j-lova and confirm that businesses rarely, if ever, check volunteering/organizational activities. you'd only run into a problem if you falsely purport to be a member of a certain program, and one of your interviewers is an actual member. then you're fukked.

most firms just do employer references (and they usually avoid questions about the quality of your work because most employers won't answer them for legal reasons), background checks, and education verification.

Do most companies do credit checks? :sadcam:

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Do companies really do background checks? I figure they're too cheap to pay for them.

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Gotcha! I figured that some HR depts didn't check all that shyt considering the multitude of applicants. Thanks brethren.

I work in HR and the only thing we check across the board is criminal history

If we want to hire you after the interview then we check work history,references,and do a piss test

If you have any type of violent charge or theft on your record you might as well don't even apply for anything that ain't fast food cause you ain't getting the job :mjpls:

livindajetlife

Superstar
Daps
That's the worst part. I live in Raleigh, and there are "Now Hiring" signs all over the fukking place, but none of those "Now Hiring"s have hired me. Yeah, I'm :mad:

Damn i live in cary... it seems to be alot of places hiring... but alot oof ppl been saying no ones getting hired

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

If we want to hire you after the interview then we check work history,references,and do a piss test

If you have any type of violent charge or theft on your record you might as well don't even apply for anything that ain't fast food cause you ain't getting the job :mjpls:

Yall care about less serious shyt? I got a driving w/suspended license charge on my record (it was suspended due to unpaid tickets), I'm wondering if it's costing me interviews.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

The States and their damn piss tests. Wonder if we'll start doing that shyt up here.

MR. SNIFLES

**** YOU THUNDAAAAAAAAAAH
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
THUNDER BUDDIES
ALWAYS SEEMS EASIER TO FIND A JOB WHEN YOU HAVE ONE OR ARE ACTIVELY DOING SOMETHING. HAVING 1 YEAR THAT YOU CAN'T ACCOUNT FOR ON YOUR RESUME IS BAD. JUST SEEING A GAP IN EMPLOYMENT HISTORY MAKES PEOPLE TOSS YOUR APP/RESUME.

VOLUNTEER SOMEWHERE OR GET INTO SCHOOL.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps
Do most companies do credit checks? :sadcam:

Depends on the industry. Financial services, obviously yes. I'm not sure about other industries. From the research I've done, you have to have some major credit issues (big as fukk charge offs, big collections) for it to be an issue. They don't see your actual score.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
ALWAYS SEEMS EASIER TO FIND A JOB WHEN YOU HAVE ONE OR ARE ACTIVELY DOING SOMETHING. HAVING 1 YEAR THAT YOU CAN'T ACCOUNT FOR ON YOUR RESUME IS BAD. JUST SEEING A GAP IN EMPLOYMENT HISTORY MAKES PEOPLE TOSS YOUR APP/RESUME.

Precisley why I told folk to get involved with something...and if they didn't...to just lie. You will not get a job if you did nothing for a year other than just look for a job. No company will hire you unless they're extremely desperate or you have a specific skillset like a developer or something.

TheBigBopper

Banned
Daps

True. My boss was hiring for a mid-level job and he'd toss resumes with >6 months gaps, claiming "people who are good should easily be able to use their network/connections to find a job." :mjpls:

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but this is the way a lot of people think :manny:

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Yall care about less serious shyt? I got a driving w/suspended license charge on my record (it was suspended due to unpaid tickets), I'm wondering if it's costing me interviews.

Depends on what city you're in and how petty the person doing your interview is but that's a bullshyt charge that nobody should care about

In bmore we can't be picky since damn near everybody has some type of charge on their record but we refuse to hire violent people and thieves.Anything else is up to us to debate on