Long Term Unemployment

STAN JONES

Fire John Harbaugh
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I used to have my own business, computer repair, but that was probably around seven years ago (I was a teenager), but I sold that (made some coin but I spent that easy). I went to a couple of schools but didn't finish, and since then it's been minimum wage bullshyt ever since. The last job I worked was at a Kroger but I just walked out on that shyt.

I hope you don't put that job at Krogers on your work history if you just walked out like you said

That could be what's holding you back on getting another job

RJY33

master of reality
Daps
Only been unemployed 3.5 months but shyt is terrible after that first month. Its nice sleeping in but the panic of not having a job outweighs the fun of sitting around all day. I watch a lot of movies, catch up on tv shows, go to the gym. Im waiting on an electrician apprenticeship but shyt is taking months to get going. I got basically 3 months pay severance when i was laid off but im gonna have to start depending on UE benefits soon :sadcam:

Its real easy to get in a rut where you arent looking tho so like the other suggested make sure you apply to at least 5-10 jobs a week. Something will eventually come through.

YBE

Banned
Daps
I used to have my own business, computer repair, but that was probably around seven years ago (I was a teenager), but I sold that (made some coin but I spent that easy). I went to a couple of schools but didn't finish, and since then it's been minimum wage bullshyt ever since. The last job I worked was at a Kroger but I just walked out on that shyt.

i dont want to sound like Captain Obvious......but, why don't you just do that again? :yeshrug:

Its not like you don't know the ins & outs...

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia
Man, been in a similar situation for a clip as well but I see things improving for a few reasons. Here are some things I have done to not go stir crazy:

- filed for unemployment from the get go
- get in touch with 3 mentors and continue to have bi-monthly meetings with each one showing them my updated resume(s), continue to ask if they have any connects. The mtgs will help moral and you could get a possible recommendation from them.
- get the fukk out the house by going where you want to work [i.e. downtown (business district) and having lunch- perhaps you may bump into someone]; the key is to dress up (khakis and button down) a little while chilling
- network like a mafugga (i.e. meet-ups, happy hours, etc.)
- don't be prideful and tell people (who have some influence) that you are "looking" for employment
- instead of searching online at home, go to a library to break up the monotony
- sign up to volunteer somewhere (many company love seeing a well-rounded candidate)

I guess I am little lucky being that I live near a big city (DC) and have some options and I have a supportive fiancee who knows my potential. Plus, I find motivation in the 2 facts: 1) getting married soon and 2) I live in an area that I want to roll from with the quicks.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
u have no education and u sold ur successful business???? :what:

I sold to competition; my business wasn't going to continue to be successful.

I was also only 20 or 21 a the time so it's not like I had to give up education for the job.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
i dont want to sound like Captain Obvious......but, why don't you just do that again? :yeshrug:

Its not like you don't know the ins & outs...

I ran the business, I didn't actually do the work.

My goal is to start another business but I need the start up funs first.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Man, been in a similar situation for a clip as well but I see things improving for a few reasons. Here are some things I have done to not go stir crazy:

- filed for unemployment from the get go
- get in touch with 3 mentors and continue to have bi-monthly meetings with each one showing them my updated resume(s), continue to ask if they have any connects. The mtgs will help moral and you could get a possible recommendation from them.
- get the fukk out the house by going where you want to work [i.e. downtown (business district) and having lunch- perhaps you may bump into someone]; the key is to dress up (khakis and button down) a little while chilling
- network like a mafugga (i.e. meet-ups, happy hours, etc.)
- don't be prideful and tell people (who have some influence) that you are "looking" for employment
- instead of searching online at home, go to a library to break up the monotony
- sign up to volunteer somewhere (many company love seeing a well-rounded candidate)

I guess I am little lucky being that I live near a big city (DC) and have some options and I have a supportive fiancee who knows my potential. Plus, I find motivation in the 2 facts: 1) getting married soon and 2) I live in an area that I want to roll from with the quicks.

This is good advice... As someone who is involved in the hiring process...you have to understand that you are going up against people who are currently employed so you have to separate yourself from them. If your resume shows that you belong to groups and appear to be an ambitious dude, it will go a long way. "just looking for a job" is not good enough. You have to be doing other shyt...even if you gotta lie (we don't check that shyt)....but lie within reason.

The biggest problem people have when they lose their jobs is there's no urgency at the beginning. Folk want to laze around for a month or two. That's terrible. Take a week to figure out what you want to do, then go hard. Don't get into the habit of lazing around and doing nothing.

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
This is good advice... As someone who is involved in the hiring process...you have to understand that you are going up against people who are currently employed so you have to separate yourself from them. If your resume shows that you belong to groups and appear to be an ambitious dude, it will go a long way. "just looking for a job" is not good enough. You have to be doing other shyt...even if you gotta lie (we don't check that shyt)....but lie within reason.

The biggest problem people have when they lose their jobs is there's no urgency at the beginning. Folk want to laze around for a month or two. That's terrible. Take a week to figure out what you want to do, then go hard. Don't get into the habit of lazing around and doing nothing.

The one thing many ppl seem to overlook though is when ppl get laid off, it's not a guarantee that they will find another job. If a bunch of ppl are getting laid off, jobs arent exactly flowing like water.

In others words, it's not "a job for a job" Most ppl these days arent qutting or retiring for a reason. Like I said earlier, I know younger ppl with degrees and some experience who got laid off and cant find squat.

But this is good advice tho.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Do what I did, get a restaurant job, if you live around a big city, you'll have no problem getting a job at restaurant as a server, and depending on the restaurant, you can make good money.

You'll be surprised at the people that get hired at restaurant, and you'll be swimming in p*ssy working at a restaurant, bytches are loose as hell that work at restaurants.

frush11

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The Hospitality industry is great for all those down on luck people, if you luck up and get into the right position

Heafcliffe

Hope there's puddin' in the clink...
Daps
Reppin
Districto de Columbia

Yeah, man. I learned the hard way about this approach. Realized that I am battling people left and right. At first, a brother was crazy proud and had to humble himself. Joined a finance volunteer group and became a student member of the CFA to keep myself marketable. Haven't been successful.........................yet.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
The one thing many ppl seem to overlook though is when ppl get laid off, it's not a guarantee that they will find another job. If a bunch of ppl are getting laid off, jobs arent exactly flowing like water.

In others words, it's not "a job for a job" Most ppl these days arent qutting or retiring for a reason. Like I said earlier, I know younger ppl with degrees and some experience who got laid off and cant find squat.

But this is good advice tho.

Which is why people need to be serious about looking sooner rather than later. Also, the more interviews you go on the more you start to understand what kind of questions you'll be asked and you can prepare.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Yeah, man. I learned the hard way about this approach. Realized that I am battling people left and right. At first, a brother was crazy proud and had to humble himself. Joined a finance volunteer group and became a student member of the CFA to keep myself marketable. Haven't been successful.........................yet.

See, this is very good.

Turbulent

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
first few months i was reading a lot. then i started going to the gym and kept reading.