Long Term Unemployment

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
True. My boss was hiring for a mid-level job and he'd toss resumes with >6 months gaps, claiming "people who are good should easily be able to use their network/connections to find a job." :mjpls:

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but this is the way a lot of people think :manny:

He's wrong, but I feel where he's coming from. Why would I hire a dude who hasn't worked in a year over a dude who's currently employed? Give me one good reason.

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
He's wrong, but I feel where he's coming from. Why would I hire a dude who hasn't worked in a year over a dude who's currently employed? Give me one good reason.

Open/better availability. How you gonna expect 100% effort from someone already working another job?

AgentGrey

MeVsYou
Daps

:ehh: Good point.

I can't argue with that reasoning, but at the same time
most of us have been employees. You have to start somewhere,
assuming its not some high-end position.

GollyImGully

Too many wavy women, gotta log outta IG
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
they say you're suppose to call them back but I feel like a desperate hoe doing that so I can't do it.

and wtf am I supposed to say?

i tried this once after i went in the store they told me to fill out their online app. I filled it out then called them immediately like "i recently filled out your online app whats the next step in the hiring process?"

i could tell the lady had the :beli: face on over the phone, she said "hold on" and i was redirected to a some H/R office. nikka picked up the phone and I told him the same exact thing I did her he had the :mjpls: then redirected me again thats where my call ended up to an answering machine :why::dead:

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
and wtf am I supposed to say?

i tried this once after i went in the store they told me to fill out their online app. I filled it out then called them immediately like "i recently filled out your online app whats the next step in the hiring process?"

i could tell the lady had the :beli: face on over the phone, she said "hold on" and i was redirected to a some H/R office. nikka picked up the phone and I told him the same exact thing I did her he had the :mjpls: then redirected me again thats where my call ended up to an answering machine :why::dead:

I swear these HR people are mostly punk bytches.

I remember taking a business class a few years back and the teacher was saying if someone gets hired at a place and they can't really do their job but they're a decent person that people like and nobody really wants to fire them, they'll just place them in HR. I don't know how true that shyt is or if it's even true at all, but it always stuck with me.

aqualung

I wear a crown of curls.
Daps
Reppin
NYC, Boston, #ByrdGang
...I spent all of my savings (which were reasonably substantial) on the bottle...
You spent your savings on booze?

What about self-improvement & suits & printing resumes?
Did ya read any educational books?
Not even a community college or online course?

Booze, n-word?

MPope:
Work at Krogers while you prep for computer certification tests. Then work in IT while you finish college. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. You need more mental stimulus and social interaction than you have been getting.

Professionals typically explain gaps in employment with classes taken & licenses earned and temp/contract/volunteer/pro bono work. NEVER stop grinding!

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
this thread just wreaks of
j5TlA.gif

TYBG

Ditty Dum Ditty Doo
Supporter
Daps
GUYS PLEASE ANSWER MY QUESTION:sadcam:

I stopped working for a minute because I went back to school. I'm going to graduate NEXT year and after this summer, I'll be picking up an internship. Will I be OK next year?

I'm still young and my school was lagging because I went part time for my family (they had financial problems and I got brothers and sisters). I feel like I have a decent amount of history of employment/work experience. I'm scared about having that gap in my resume now.

aqualung

I wear a crown of curls.
Daps
Reppin
NYC, Boston, #ByrdGang
I stopped working for a minute because I went back to school....I'm still young and my school was lagging because I went part time for my family...I'm scared about having that gap in my resume now.
You do NOT have a gap in your resume if you were attending school during the time that you didn't work.

Ex: My friend worked at Goldman Sachs. He attended Yale Law School for 3 years (only worked during summers). After grad, he joined a hedge fund. Yale does NOT count as a gap, silly. He was enrolled in an advanced degree program. >:P

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
You spent your savings on booze?

What about self-improvement & suits & printing resumes?
Did ya read any educational books?

Not even a community college or online course?

Booze, n-word?

MPope:
Work at Krogers while you prep for computer certification tests. Then work in IT while you finish college. A mind is a terrible thing to waste. You need more mental stimulus and social interaction than you have been getting.

Professionals typically explain gaps in employment with classes taken & licenses earned and temp/contract/volunteer/pro bono work. NEVER stop grinding!

I read plenty. I've read more than 70 books this calendar year alone.

And I shouldn't have said I wasted all of my money on beer, because it wasn't just alcohol. I should have just said on frivolous things - basically just going out four times a week, eating out, going to movies, all that type of bullshyt. I'm not really a candidate for alcohols anonymous (either that or I'm in denial :usure:).

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
this thread just wreaks of
j5TlA.gif

:childplease:

The response I got from this thread wasn't what I was really looking for anyway. I didn't really want advice on how to get a job, more like suggestions on shyt to do in leiu of having a job/school, pretty much how to kill the time. I should have just made a Random Hobbies thread or something.

Soundbwoy

Accept to take the L
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Montreal
from what i read so far, hobbies should be the last of your worries :usure: you need to step your game up,motivate yourself and lay off the booze

Loose

Retired Legend
Daps
Get on unemployment , go to school(which some unemployment states will pay you as you go)