Long Term Unemployment

AgentGrey

MeVsYou
Daps
No particular length of time.

CompTIA A+ Certification

Look online, there are all kinds of A+ study guides.

im pursuing this at the moment, tryin to step on campus swaggin on em :myman:

:usure:

I can rock with everything else you said though.

i mentioned on campus since u say ur on the verge of being homeless lol

as for military, nikkas need to not be afraid of it.
its ultimately a fallback for when all else fails, its better
than struggling in the streets. u can get a free education
and (if ur not a dumbass) can choose from a wide range
of careers, not everybody is on that Call of Duty shyt breh.

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
Thread should probably be in Higher Learning (all bias aside), just because people are always talking about IT certs and asking employment questions in there. I'm sure cats would help (crazy how some people only visit certain boards on here). But the only thing I can think of suggesting is to find internships. It always looks worse when you have large gaps in your resume.

SubLyminalz

Kemba Escobar Season Has Returned.
Supporter
Daps
they say you're suppose to call them back but I feel like a desperate hoe doing that so I can't do it.

this

i be feeling too damn prideful keep calling these cacs back on some could u please hire me shyt :scusthov:

• Dap
Reactions: I'z

Majestic Pape

The-Coli = W SOHH = L
Daps
shyt sucks when no one calls u back :to:
Nothing's worse than when you go to a spot, see that they're hiring, chat it up with a manager, and they tell you to call them the next day to set up an interview, but when you call they act like they don't know what you're talking about. Have a brother like :usure::childplease::sadbron:

BedRoomI'z

All Money In
Daps
Reppin
South Memphis
Man, I have been here one too many times.

Only piece of advice I can give you is.....

Don't stop looking, and I don't care if that UE check covers everything
or not:thumbsdown:

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
this

i be feeling too damn prideful keep calling these cacs back on some could u please hire me shyt :scusthov:

usually if ur waiting for a phone call then that means u didn't get the job tho..

Let an attractive female have an interview at the same gig and she'll probably get hired on the spot, none of that callback bs :wtf:

Being black lowers ur chances also, but if ur black the lighter u are and the whiter ur features are, the better. Go in there looking like Christopher Wallace with a suit and tie on and u don't stand a chance.

thus is life tho :aicmon:

jadillac

Veteran
Daps
There's ppl with college degrees who have been unemployed for 2 years. I know some.

It really depends on the market where you live.

I know this one guy who was a doctor in India, he married an American woman and couldnt find a job for years here. Ended up working at a Starbucks til he finally got on somewhere.

• Dap

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
For those of you (if there's any of you) who have been unemployed for months now.... what did you do to fill the time? And how did you survive while unemployed?

I've been unemployed since August now. I lived off my savings until around January or so, then I had to move in with my pops :sadbron: ... and now he's about to kick me out. With no job.

About to have to hit up the block, I guess. :usure:

This shyt has pretty much been a wasted year for me though. I spent a lot of time looking for a job, but never got one (not even minimum wage shyt). I didn't go back to school because I have defaulted loans, preventing me from getting new loans. My p*ssy rate plummeted. I spent all of my savings (which were reasonably substantial) on the bottle. SMH; the only things I accomplished were I read a lot of books and saw a lot of movies, and posted a lot on here (and SOHH :scusthov:)

last time I was unemployed was from nov 04 to apr 05. I had got laid off. but the entire time, I still woke up early every morning and looked for jobs and interviewed. I wasn't chillin cuz I had unemployment. that shyt barely paid the bills even.

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
I used to have my own business, computer repair, but that was probably around seven years ago (I was a teenager), but I sold that (made some coin but I spent that easy). I went to a couple of schools but didn't finish, and since then it's been minimum wage bullshyt ever since. The last job I worked was at a Kroger but I just walked out on that shyt.

u have no education and u sold ur successful business???? :what:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Trust me, I've applied to pretty much every type of retail, moving truck, minimum wage whatever you could want, just haven't gotten anything.

Either I've gone to interviews and (apparently) fukked it up, even though usually it's group interviews with around 20 people all applying for five spots, or another couple of times where I had interviews but was too hungover to go. :snoop: But that shyt was early on in my unemployment when I figured it wouldn't be that hard to get a gig. And that's clearly something in my background check that is fukking me up, but I can't figure out what.

:dwillhuh: this goes to show u that u ain't really serious about getting a gig. U need to treat looking for a job like having a job. get up early every morning with a plan and keep a routine til u find one.

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It's summer. Go cut grass or paint or do odd jobs.

Go to a recruiter or someone who knows wtf they're doing and get them to peep your resume and help you fix it because it's obviously shyt. Also, get them to interview you. There is something you're doing wrong if you can't even get hired for crappy jobs. The problem is you never took it seriously, so you only have yourself to blame. Stop fukking drinking and get your shyt together.

In today's climate it's very hard to get a job while unemployed. The longer you're unemployed, the worse it looks. They will ask you "what have you been doing all this time?". Looking for a job isn't good enough. Even if you have to lie...tell em you've been taking classes or something. You have to look ambitious.

• Dap