Let's be real about gaming this gen.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Well then you have say....cyberpunk come out, which was a (new)AAA dev trying to create an rpg that was a step ahead of the fallouts of yester year. And in my opinion, it accomplished that in spades.

The only problem was...alot of erm..chuds...wanted to play it too. But to them it didnt matter who was making it and what their pedigree was, to most it looked like a GTA mext step. Which it wasnt. And when those people realized it wasnt, on top of a buggy launch. They RAILED it. As we all know.

This game was far more interesting, ambitious, and better written than say...any ubisoft game. But CDPROJEKT...one of the few devs trying to push things, got nearly black labeled. Because of bandwagoning and misinterpreation.

If you want your medium to keep being ambitious...you dont target fukking CDPROJEKT RED of all devs to go on a campaign against.

Reserve that for ubisoft, activision, EA, 2K
etc.

Then you wonder why no devs will try anything. Stupid fukks.

Not sure how much longer i can deal with sharing a hobby with kids that werent even born when half life 2 came out lol

And i got jumped in the Cyberpunk thread for insinuating that a lot of rpg games release broken like that and get fixed over the year, including witcher but whatever im not treading that ground again. Idk who went out and told all these people Cybepunk was supposed to be the next GTA

We’ll see if cats keep the same energy with starfield :yeshrug:

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
I feel like its kind a of hard to draw absolutes like this because while Witcher 3 is an amazing open world game with great quest lines and stories it suffers in actual gameplay and interactivity with the world. Playing as Geralt in 2022 just feels tanky as hell and unsatisfying

I also feel like while Horizon’s main questline is trash, and it doesn’t serve as a good role playing game, the characters models and animations should be the standard in the 9th generation. It makes the world feel more alive and realistic, not like you’re talking to a bunch of robots.

Breath of The wild Set the bar in exploration and interactivity with the world but it barebones in role playing and narrative.

Cyberpunk is just incredibly inconsistent in every aspect.
Thats why you dissect the aspects what it DID do ahead of everyone else. And the witcher 3 maintained creative well written questlines throughout 200 hours with high production value. We should get that from now on. Not say that Elden ring is now the new standard when it DOESNT DO THAT.

Thats whats wrong with gamers, dont pedestal shyt like elden ring or breath of the wild and then forget that shyt doesnt have quests.

We should be getting witcher 3's with elden ring world design and combat or better. THATS what i expect. Thats how games used to progress. They learned from eachother.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Thats why you dissect the aspects what it DID do ahead of everyone else. And the witcher 3 maintained creative well written questlines throughout 200 hours with high production value. We should get that from now on. Not say that Elden ring is now the new standard when it DOESNT DO THAT.

Thats whats wrong with gamers, dont pedestal shyt like elden ring or breath of the wild and then forget that shyt doesnt have quests.

We should be getting witcher 3's with elden ring world design and combat or better. THATS what i expect. Thats how games used to progress. They learned from eachother.

I just assume a new player will enter the market and take over eventuallly thats what happened last gen when Bethesda and BioWare dropped the ball. Too many talented studios out here now with access to money and UE5 like everyone else.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
And i got jumped in the Cyberpunk thread for insinuating that a lot of rpg games release broken like that and get fixed over the year, including witcher but whatever im not treading that ground again. Idk who went out and told all these people Cybepunk was supposed to be the next GTA

We’ll see if cats keep the same energy with starfield :yeshrug:
They wont.

They shouldnt even be excited for starfield because bethesda has been the definition of dumbing down, lazy development, and stripping their games of content. Fallout 4 was bad, and so was fallout 76, hell skyrim wasnt as good or had nearly as good quests as oblivion or morrowind. But only a few people seem to love gaming enough to notice that lol

So then bethesda thinks skyrim is their best shyt. And thinks procedural quests are the way to keep going. Because gamers praised it. Does this sound like a medium thats going to move forward?

We dont even know that bethesda has been on a downturn. Yet we still want starfield? We railed against CDPROJEkT when i'd bet my bank account CP2077 will be better than starfield?

If you took a time traveler to go visit 2004 me, while i was amazed with half life 2. And that time traveler said "you want me to show you how far weve come in 2022?" I'd look at half life 2 and say "my god...i can only imagine, show me! Please!" He shows me elden ring...

I proceed to kill myself.

Yeah i should retire lmao

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
The Witcher 3....

Terrible, absolutely DREADFUL gameplay. At the top of my list of regretful purchases. People keep hyping it up as this amazing game and yet no one tells you that the game controls like absolute shyt. Horrible experience that I couldn't put more than a couple hours into.

A relic of the past that people need to actually be honest about.

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
The Witcher 3....

Terrible, absolutely DREADFUL gameplay. At the top of my list of regretful purchases. People keep hyping it up as this amazing game and yet no one tells you that the game controls like absolute shyt. Horrible experience that I couldn't put more than a couple hours into.

A relic of the past that people need to actually be honest about.
But Witcher 3 was last gen :dwillhuh:

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I feel like its kind a of hard to draw absolutes like this because while Witcher 3 is an amazing open world game with great quest lines and stories it suffers in actual gameplay and interactivity with the world. Playing as Geralt in 2022 just feels tanky as hell and unsatisfying

I also feel like while Horizon’s main questline is trash, and it doesn’t serve as a good role playing game, the characters models and animations should be the standard in the 9th generation. It makes the world feel more alive and realistic, not like you’re talking to a bunch of robots.

Breath of The wild Set the bar in exploration and interactivity with the world but it barebones in role playing and narrative.

Cyberpunk is just incredibly inconsistent in every aspect.

Why do people keep trying to make Zelda games role playing or narrative games.

For years people that don't really play Zelda games do this.

I've never done a role-playing thing in any mainline aka console Zelda game. The games have always been action adventure games.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Why do people keep trying to make Zelda games role playing or narrative games.

For years people that don't really play Zelda games do this.

I've never done a role-playing thing in any mainline aka console Zelda game. The games have always been action adventure games.

Because nintendo have repeatedly said they never gave link a defined voice or personality because they want the player to insert themselves into him, thats what role playing is, less so for something narrative driven

Its not a rpg in the sense of stats but the rest of it does have heavy role playing elements, same as skyrim or dark souls

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Because nintendo have repeatedly said they never gave link a defined voice or personality because they want the player to insert themselves into him, thats what role playing is, less so for something narrative driven

Its not a rpg in the sense of stats but the rest of it does have heavy role playing elements, same as skyrim or dark souls

Almost every game can be a role playing game by that definition. Zelda games don't have you do anything rpgs have you do typically and the closest it's probably ever been to a rpg is botw because of minor stats like stamina and hot and cold and different weapons.

Outside of that there is no building up a character, customization, leveling up, stats, conversations back and forth or some deep long 60 hour story.

Its you traversing the world trying to stop ganondorf.

It's just an adventure game series with an over arching lore.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Also OP said THIS generation and to that I'll agree.

Even a lot of recent indie games and A games in the last two have just tried to either mimic there own previous success or someone else's, but with a small twist.

That's why games like sifu and triangle strategy really jumped out and grabbed me.

They are both typical beatem ups and srpg games but they done innovatively.

Outside of that, while I've had some good fun with alot of games nothing this generation on a gameplay level or even graphically has made me feel like A PS5 or Xbox is needed.

If not for the SSD in both or gamepass/cloud stuff I truly wouldn't feel like I'm missing much.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Almost every game can be a role playing game by that definition. Zelda games don't have you do anything rpgs have you do typically and the closest it's probably ever been to a rpg is botw because of minor stats like stamina and hot and cold and different weapons.

Outside of that there is no building up a character, customization, leveling up, stats, conversations back and forth or some deep long 60 hour story.

Its you traversing the world trying to stop ganondorf.

It's just an adventure game series with an over arching lore.

Its the opposite usually when you play a character like Geralt or Aloy it feels less like role playing and more like you are just on a characters journey. In zelda you yourself mold link into the person you think he should be, he’s a hollow shell of a character. People talk at him and you form the responses in your head as to what he should be saying.

That is the core concept of the silent protagonist. You get the same thing with Joker, Chrono, Ness, Ryu, etc. the purpose is that they are a vessel for the player to experience the world. Role playing isn’t only stat building and dice rolling.

Also, a lot of stats in rpg games are superficial metrics for progression anyway. At the end of the day Witcher 3 and BoTW share the same progression only Zelda hides the numbers. You are still getting better armor, higher damage dealing weapons, elemental effects, more health (hearts instead of HP), more stamina, you’re still exploring, going into dungeons, crafting, etc.

Zelda probably has more in common with your typical WRPG than it does with Japanese adventure games

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
But Witcher 3 was last gen
Witcher 3 was mentioned above my post. People put it on a pedestal and it's a terrible game when you try to play it. Can't stand when that shytty game is used as a positive example for the gaming world.

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
There was a time when triple A games gave you brand new experiences and innovation, and cheaper developed games just tried to cash in or just get something out.

I think people remember those times and are holding on to them.

At some point when games started becoming more expensive to create and started to make real money those to things swapped.

Cheaper developed games started being the ones to try new things and Triple A games became the ones to cash in on what's popular and works.

It happened when people demanded cinematics on the level of Hollywood first, over gameplay. Very few franchises could do that like Metal Gear Solid. After the end of the PS1 Gen, everyone wanted to make their own MGS clone but with failing results. Too many games on the PS4 ans PS5 is just one BIG interactive movie.

Cinematic gameplay ruined everything.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I wasn’t alive to experience some of those innovations but realistically how often does something come out that changes the game in gaming history, right now it’s a lot of interesting games that came out and is coming out soon but we should dismiss them because they don’t have some gimmick we ain’t used too?
It used to be every generation.. Everything I named came from a different gen. It stopped in the last two. I don't remember much game changing from the xbone/ps4 era.. And nothing so far from ps5 (psvr2 on the way) besides the controller.. Which isn't exactly game changing just yet

And who said a gimmick? Nothing I said was a gimmick. You'd be upset if any controller didn't rumble right now. Or any open world game that didn't take numerous elements from GTA 3.. Good/Great games should be the standard. Gaming altering games should at least pop up once a year if you really pushing the envelope and not just doing sequels and retreads

Horizon 2 and GOW 2... Amazing games. What did they bring to the table that changed anything in gaming?