Let's be real about gaming this gen.

Nero Christ

Sniper out now on all digital platforms brev
Daps
Reppin
St. Lucia
Yeah, i was agreeing.

I also see a massive pushback from chuds when AAA games dare try something different also so you really can’t win either way.

Folks want art in video game form but that means the games will be divisive and have mixed opinions on it. People don't really want that save for a small percentage...Most people want their dumbed down easy to play experiences that hit all the same notes. Why give them steak when a whopper satisfies.

At the same time, as games became big business, these companies are taking risks either, churn out a surefire profit because your average company is extra greedy now a days, and your average consumer can't argue in good faith and articulate good criticism anymore.

Microfracture

Real G's move in silence
Daps
Reppin
Knees
There's more variety than there's ever been imo and that's the innovation of the current gen. There is the same amount of quality as there used to be. Pick a genre on PS/Xbox/Steam/Nintendo and there are multiple games to choose from within every category, and if you want to see gameplay before buying you have options.. If you want something familiar they will more than likely remake or remaster it, or sell it as a collection on new consoles.

I do think there has been major changes to how developers approach multiplayer now with the standalone free to play wave. That part of gaming has passed me by and its a trash feeling but I'm not 16 anymore. To get enjoyment out of multiplayer now requires collective time and investment from friends that we just dont have anymore.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I still can’’t get over the fact that The Last of Us Part 2 killing its previous main character spawned and entire sub reddit hate group :mjlol:

Let’s be really honest, the majority of gamers do not want anything to challenge their world view or skill sets. Elden Ring blew up because its significantly easier than previous souls games not because its significantly different.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I still can’’t get over the fact that The Last of Us Part 2 killing its previous main character spawned and entire sub reddit hate group :mjlol:

Let’s be really honest, the majority of gamers do not want anything to challenge their world view or skill sets. *Elden Ring blew up because its significantly easier than previous souls games not because its significantly different*

:dahell:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I mean, Nintendo games cost a fraction to develop compared to all these other AAA titles, shyt their games still dont even have real voice acting and they aren’t any more “risk taking” than any other major publishers.

This year they released their 20th kirby game, nintendo sports 3, mario strikers 2, xenoblade chronicles 3, mario party expansion, mario kart retro tracks, splatoon 3, bayonetta 3, and 2 pokemon games.
Facts. Dudes look at BOTW but ignore the dozens of Mario spinoff and other safe games they release.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I’m enjoying it. Play VR or indie games if you want fresher experiences:manny:
:comeon:
So basically we have to buy headsets and play in VR because traditional gaming has peaked and is cooked?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:comeon:
So basically we have to buy headsets and play in VR because traditional gaming has peaked and is cooked?

Its not cooked but if you’re someone thirsty for “innovation” above all else you’re gonna have go more out of your way to seek it out just like music. If you don’t want top 40 pop music you gotta go digging through the crates.

VR/AR is the next frontier in gaming, and its gonna cost more money to experience it just like any other tech.

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
So I actually thought about this a bit more and another problem that I have is the ever widening gap between AAA developers and AA developers. Nowadays it seems like there isn't much of a middle ground so to speak. You got Activision/Blizzard, Ubisoft, R* and Nintendo and Sony studios, etc. making things on the major scale, but then there's a big drop to the next level. A lot of the lower studios either have 1 or 2 games or were grandfathered in from previous generations. And that's not to mention smaller studios who kept getting swallowed up by the bigger studios.

So ignoring what we have now in the PS4/XBX era, go back to the Xbox/GameCube era and there was just MORE games. Games games games, and that's what I loved. Splinter Cell, Scarface, Punisher, Prince of Persia, Manhunt, Bully, Hulk Ultimate Destruction, etc. All different games available for all systems, from different studios and devs. Yes, Persia and Splinter Cell were Ubisoft, but where are they now, dead. My point is that before the HD era, games came out and there was just SO MUCH available to us. And that's not counting the bigger franchises and exclusives we had back then, nor the exclusives each system had as well. If you wanna say we were spoiled, fine, but that's the best way for things to be.

Now move to the 360 era and things were more apparent when you looked at the gap between AAA games and those on the next rung down. You have Assassin's Creed (Ubisoft), COD, GTA(R*), and the plethora of exclusives like Halo, GoW, GoW, Ratchet, Uncharted, Mario, Zelda etc. at that top/higher tier. But you also had games and series like Saints Row, Left 4 Dead, Sleeping Dogs, Prototype, inFAMOUS, Spider-Man games, Batman Arkham games, Borderlands etc etc. Again, we had games on games on games. Remember when it was odd that Prototype and inFAMOUS were made and released at the same time? Completely different games but still funny to think about when it happened. Now fast forward and both franchises are dead.

That moves me to the PS4/ONE era. The generation that I questioned from the very beginning. And you can see it in my first post, what were we getting with this new console generation? Because if it was just graphics, then we were going backwards. And then things got weird. We stopped getting as many new games. We started getting more remasters. Why are we re-doing the Uncharted series? They were JUST made, what the fukk? Remaster, remaster, remaster! All for the pretty graphics! I could understand taking games from systems that are defunct, from games that are at least 2 gens old. But remastering a game that came out 2 to 3 years ago is just greedy. And sadly a lot of people lapped it up that's why it's a cornerstone of what the industry is doing today. But I'm talking about games, right?

So yes, we still got games on the PS4/ONE systems, but the problem we ran into is that the industry had shot itself in the foot a bit. Microsoft made some bad choices early on and people didn't forgive them moving forward. But Sony did something right and that was their exclusives. The problem we ran into was that it was just exclusives. The big Sony exclusives are mostly good to great but we ran into the fact that there were less and less viable non-exclusive triple A and double A level games being made. The dev time got crunched and the budgets got tighter. So for example, on the PS/360 you had Mass Effect. 3 games that I'm told are amazing up until the last 20 minutes of the last game. Now fast forward to the PS4/One, you had Andromeda which everyone says was an abortion! Assassin's Creed was a big franchise on the 360, then starting with the first game of the new gen, Unity shyt the bed and hard. Shot the franchise in the foot and it limps on today. Square was a great studio that had set themselves up for failure by setting their goals too high with Hitman and Tomb Raider. They then cut ties and sold off their non Japanese properties. Things just continued to get weirder across the board.

We still got games but the widening gap was more and more apparent each year. Yeah we could get Shadow of Mordor, but the sequel pissed people off by making it unbeatable or something. Like you had to put an inhuman amount of time into the game to get the ending. Or you could just pay them for the time saver and get the ending. I'm not 100% sure on that, please correct me because I know I'm not all the way on point with that.

Finally I wanna touch on the games as a service problem that's a major fukk you to players. Business 101 says it's better to get the consumer to keep giving you money repeatedly with no end in sight. That's true. That's what Rockstar has done with GTA. They made a great game then released it (PS3), re-released it (PS4), then re-re-released it (PS5). All to keep getting that billion dollar shark card money. We all know about microtransactions, no need for me to elaborate. But even the biggest studios are guilty of it these days.

But go back with me. To Red Dead Redemption. Amazing game. Game of the Year. Game of a generation type deal. But look at what you got. The base game, online multiplayer and the upgrades that came. And then...SINGLE PLAYER STANDALONE DLC! HOLY SH!T!!! And it was amazing. Undead Nightmare was everything you wanted in a dlc. R* did it again. Same with GTA 4, a dreadful game that R* poured everything they had into. Multiple standalone dlc's came out for that game and people were happy.

Fast forward, no dlc for Red Dead 2. No dlc for GTA 5. Why? You literally have all the components, why not give the people what they want. Why does everything GTA have to be in the freaking online portion? Even though you're putting actual stories with voice acting and cutscenes. Why can't any of that be the single player dlc?

Because you can only charge the customer ONE time. 70 for the base game and 30 for the hypothetical single player dlc is only $100. But GTAO with countless shark cards is infinitely more money than that. One of the biggest studios/developers has given us the finger and said let's ride the wave. And sadly it's worked for them....for OVER A DECADE!!!

And that gap between Triple A and the next level is just too wide. And then the gap between lower level Double A games and the games under that is wide too. There are games that I wish were more polished. Take Vampyr for instance. It's an ok game. But if it had just a bit more budget, it would have been a lot better. The graphics aren't gonna blow you away. The character design is right out of the 360 era, but what they had was a great base but it lacked polish. And it hurts because I wish we had more games on the level of say, a Hulk Ultimate Destruction. Games that won't blow you away but they are fun a fukk to play. I wish we had more games with more variety in setting. Steampunk is over done, modern day is the standard and open world fantasy is more often chosen over a more supernatural setting. Whether it be historical or modern. I wish we had more werewolf and vampire games that were good. Werewolf Apocalypse looked alright until you played it and it wasn't polished either. Again it's a symptom of the divide in quality based on budgets.

Gaming used to be fun first and foremost. Now it's big business first and the fun can be patched in later.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Its not cooked but if you’re someone thirsty for “innovation” above all else you’re gonna have go more out of your way to seek it out just like music. If you don’t want top 40 pop music you gotta go digging through the crates.

VR/AR is the next frontier in gaming, and its gonna cost more money to experience it just like any other tech.
In previous generations, the advanced tech that consoles brought to the table produced experiences with games that would not be capable on the previous iteration of consoles.

How many games/experience can we say that for in this current generation? Last generation did a lot more in terms of connectivity and the social experience in gaming. It was easier to create and share content. Both consoles had internal options for saving clips and sharing it out. Live streaming built in etc. On top of the horsepower that ushered in more online only experiences.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
In previous generations, the advanced tech that consoles brought to the table produced experiences with games that would not be capable on the previous iteration of consoles.

And a lot of those games didn’t start coming out until like 2016 and beyond, and thats without a global pandemic during launch year. Think of the biggest games of last gen and I almost guarantee none of them released in the first two years.

It takes awhile before developers can really start breaking in a new console generation.

GoldenGlove

😐😑😶😑😐
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
And a lot of those games didn’t start coming out until like 2016 and beyond, and thats without a global pandemic during launch year. Think of the biggest games of last gen and I almost guarantee none of them released in the first two years.

It takes awhile before developers can really start breaking in a new console generation.
Actually... an argument can be made that the biggest games last gen were remasted and upgraded versions of games on PS3/360.

What games last gen were "bigger" than GTAV and Destiny?

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:russ:The amount of people I saw, who swear they can write a better sequel. Wrote the most generic shyt. On every how to fix TLOU2’s story. Had Joel surviving, sacrificing himself, going out like a badass, or getting infected and Ellie putting him down. I swear if naughty dog wrote that shyt. The same fans who wrote that shyt. Would say the story played it to safe, and took no risks.