Let's be real about gaming this gen.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:russ:The amount of people I saw, who swear they can write a better sequel. Wrote the most generic shyt. On every how to fix TLOU2’s story. Had Joel surviving, sacrificing himself, going out like a badass, or getting infected and Ellie putting him down. I swear if naughty dog wrote that shyt. The same fans who wrote that shyt. Would say the story played it to safe, and took no risks.

Every. Single. Time.

“Naw naw, Joel would NEVER let someone get the drop on him. He’s an OG, he would have suspected the Seattle group there from the beginning and silently bodied them all one by one with that old man brute strength, FOH!”

Marks

as a mountain
Daps
These games are just too expensive to make now. It's the same thing happening in pretty much every zone of media. After a certain level it costs too much to compete, so you just keep making what sells. No one taking big risk so everything feels homogenized.

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
These games are just too expensive to make now. It's the same thing happening in pretty much every zone of media. After a certain level it costs too much to compete, so you just keep making what sells. No one taking big risk so everything feels homogenized.
This, plus the big dawg games are taking longer to make hence the longer wait

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
Thing is, with me at least, I'm not asking for innovation.

Like I said, I just want more games. I don't want or need for us to be on Horizon 3 going into 4 next year. But if there were more games in that vein that were viable alternatives, I would much appreciate that.

The one genre that needs that berth, that boom, that kick is the sandbox crime genre. GTA is not giving us what we want. But then Saints shat the bed. Watch Dogs is Ubisoft and they hamper themselves in a myriad of ways. But what happened to Sleeping Dogs? What happened to Driver? The top dog in GTA is MIA for all intents and purpose. Why hasn't any studio stepped up and tried to get into that genre? The one genre that's open AND ripe is lacking and no one wants to even try. What about a new IP? Nothing in 10 years.

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
also, people should stop buying sequels to popular games expecting them to be wildly different :manny:

I didn’t go watch Avatar 2 expecting Fight Club
:mjlol: People just be complaining about everything. The amount of people I seen, that said ragnarok. Should have been dlc is crazy. Like people forget what a sequel is. A sequel supposed to build on, what the previous entry fail, or gotten right. But gamers was excepting a whole another game. Watch people complain and say. That Gta6, the next Zelda, and Spider-Man 2. Is the same as it’s predecessors, and should have been dlc lol.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
:mjlol: People just be complaining about everything. The amount of people I seen, that said ragnarok. Should have been dlc is crazy. Like people forget what a sequel is. A sequel supposed to build on, what the previous entry fail, or gotten right. But gamers was excepting a whole another game. Watch people complain and say. That Gta6, the next Zelda, and Spider-Man 2. Is the same as it’s predecessors, and should have been dlc lol.

Yep, Sony released two new IP last year and people didn’t care :yeshrug:

Horizon and God of War sequels though? On top of every chart, both nominated for GOTY

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
People just gotta get over the fact that this generation is a year delayed due to the pandemic.

There still hasn’t even been one true Unreal Engine 5 game made yet. Decima which is arguably Sonys most popular engine at the moment just annnounced its first current gen game and its still years off.

Just be patient

Brandsdale

Big Yella
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
lotta games are copying each other in terms of play style and overall feel. Upgrading the graphics and other bells and whistles is kinda the only thing game developers can do at this point (outside of transitioning to pure VR gaming)

I remember when the first God of War was one of the first action/adventure games with playable cutscenes and now its common across all nex-gen games

Scustin Bieburr

Baby baybee baybee UUUGH
Daps
So far the Two games that I've seen that actually really seem to take advantage of the capabilities of the hardware are ratchet and clank+deathloop. Both take advantage of the SSD to get you into the action fast as hell. Something like ratchet and clank could only be done with serious difficulty on last gen or not done at all since it requires you to jump into completely different levels instantly. All the assets need to be loaded up INSTANTLY. I think that's a great way of showing what the console can do

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Uncharted 4 was dope but I didn’t give a fukk about Witcher 3 or bloodborne to be honest.
Lol you thought the worst uncharted game in the series was the dope game out of those 3.

This is why gamers are gonna get shyt.
We dont even as a collective understand or atleast agree why the games like the witcher 3 shyt on alot of the open world fantasy rpg's of last.

We all as hobbyist need to objectively know when the bar has been raised in certain areas. That way we have standards.

But when you have gamers ignoring the witcher 3 in favor of say...skyrim. then we have a problem. Bethesda should be looking at cdprojekt sweating saying "we...have to hand write all of our quests and make them beautifully written and varied?"

But when you have gamers not able to dissect what a title did to move the medium forward. Bethesda can sit on its ass and never grow.

Same with other games.
Major sign i may be too old for this. Need to put the sticks down, kinda looking like a hobby for capitalism and kids who cant draw games of the past to compare

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Lol you thought the worst uncharted game in the series was the dope game out of those 3.

This is why gamers are gonna get shyt.
We dont even as a collective understand or atleast agree why the games like the witcher 3 shyt on alot of the open world fantasy rpg's of last.

We all as hobbyist need to objectively know when the bar has been raised in certain areas. That way we have standards.

But when you have gamers ignoring the witcher 3 in favor of say...skyrim. then we have a problem. Bethesda should be looking at cdprojekt sweating saying "we...have to hand write all of our quests and make them beautifully written and varied?"

But when you have gamers not able to dissect what a title did to move the medium forward. Bethesda can sit on its ass and never grow.

Same with other games.
Major sign i may be too old for this. Need to put the sticks down, kinda looking like a hobby for capitalism and kids who cant draw games of the past to compare

I feel like its kind a of hard to draw absolutes like this because while Witcher 3 is an amazing open world game with great quest lines and stories it suffers in actual gameplay and interactivity with the world. Playing as Geralt in 2022 just feels tanky as hell and unsatisfying

I also feel like while Horizon’s main questline is trash, and it doesn’t serve as a good role playing game, the characters models and animations should be the standard in the 9th generation. It makes the world feel more alive and realistic, not like you’re talking to a bunch of robots.

Breath of The wild Set the bar in exploration and interactivity with the world but it barebones in role playing and narrative.

Cyberpunk is just incredibly inconsistent in every aspect.

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Yeah, i was agreeing.

I also see a massive pushback from chuds when AAA games dare try something different also so you really can’t win either way.
Well then you have say....cyberpunk come out, which was a (new)AAA dev trying to create an rpg that was a step ahead of the fallouts of yester year. And in my opinion, it accomplished that in spades.

The only problem was...alot of erm..chuds...wanted to play it too. But to them it didnt matter who was making it and what their pedigree was, to most it looked like a GTA mext step. Which it wasnt. And when those people realized it wasnt, on top of a buggy launch. They RAILED it. As we all know.

This game was far more interesting, ambitious, and better written than say...any ubisoft game. But CDPROJEKT...one of the few devs trying to push things, got nearly black labeled. Because of bandwagoning and misinterpreation.

If you want your medium to keep being ambitious...you dont target fukking CDPROJEKT RED of all devs to go on a campaign against.

Reserve that for ubisoft, activision, EA, 2K
etc.

Then you wonder why no devs will try anything. Stupid fukks.

Not sure how much longer i can deal with sharing a hobby with kids that werent even born when half life 2 came out lol