Let's be real about gaming this gen.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Blame Sony for that. They want to triple down on graphics and not much else. The PS6 will be the same thing.

I said that time and time again that Sony is stagnating gaming and refusing to make innovative hardware.
You dudes just say anything lol. Sony stangnating gaming? Sony's Media Molecule came out with this incredible game(Dreams) that's producing shyt like this. Had this been a Nintendo game you'd be preaching about how Nintendo is moving the industry forward.

"SoNy AlL aBoUT GrAphICS!"

Last edited:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
You dudes just say anything lol. Sony stangnating gaming? Sony's Media Molecule came out with this incredible game(Dreams) that's producing shyt like this. Had this been a Nintendo game you'd be preaching about how Nintendo is moving the industry forward.

This whole thread is people just saying whatever lol

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
All these games been out for years.. They just became more popular. In fact, the first ones came out in 2013, almost 10 years ago

Sure we had Destiny, Fortnite and Ark/Rust/whatever almost a decade ago, but these games were trailblazers for the more sophisticated and refined experiences were getting day by day. You dont get DMZ without Destiny, The Division, Escape from Tarkov, etc creating a lane for these more niche sub genres of games. And all of these games are completely different experiences despite all rolling up under the "extraction" game type - just look at how fundamentally different Warzone, Apex and Fortnite are despite all being BRs. Most of these games were limited to PC until a few years ago because console hardware couldnt run these games - which also limited the growth for these emerging types of genres. However we're going to see these new genres of gaming really get their shine this generation once they abandon the older consoles.

I just seen a video on some upcoming game called "Dark and Darker" which is literally Elder Scrolls mixed with Escape from Tarkov. Then you got recent games like DKO thats making some noise lately which is pretty much 3D Smash but as a Battle Royale. There's clearly and abundance of cool and innovative ideas being released that the market is flooded, and the real issue is the curation and coverage by influencers and media - similar to what we're seeing with music and new music discovery. A lot of these platforms dont even cover these games, you cant even find comprehensive reviews for Warzone 2 or DMZ from major platforms like KF or IGN, but then they want to cover some bullshyt like High On Life simply because its an exclusive to a platform.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Recently a video came into my YT recommendations saying that "wokeness" is ruining the gaming industry
I didn't even watch the video cause it seems like an absurd premise but there were hella people in the comments agreeing like that's the main problem with this gen :dead:

That shyt is so far down the list to me. Kind of dumb take when great games like Last of Us and HZD having female leads and tons of games like Mass Effect and Detroit having underlining political themes

Prince Akeem

Its not that deep breh....
Daps
half of yall complain about games industry being stagnant and than have whole threads asking for remakes and remasters lol

It's like they don't know what they want really :mjlol:

It's ok to realize/admit you have grown out of gaming.
i play indie shyt when i want serious innovation :ahh:

Half the time all they make is metroidvania rouge likes with pixel art. Indie shyt samey as fukk low key. Don't forget the mental illness pandering.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY

Half the time all they make is metroidvania rouge likes with pixel art. Indie shyt samey as fukk low key. Don't forget the mental illness pandering.

Thats what i find funny as someone that actually goes out of their way to play indie games (and actually pays for them) theres like 5 popular genres that everyone plays and goes crazy over every year, roguelikes, point and click narrative, metroidvania, 8-16 bit era rpg either mimicking chrono trigger or earthbound, boomer shooters, then to complete the formula add in some kind of message about mental health or identity issues…. Sometimes a combination of two and a lot of times these are indie games with big publisher deals attached to them like Annapurna, Devolver, Chucklefish…

Sure theres break out new stuff in the indie market here and there but thats almost as common as the break out new AAA games.

Last edited:

Anti-Anime

fukk u weeaboo
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Not Japan

im managing my macronutrients over here in scum brother. gotta stay in tip top shape :ahh:

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps
Fallout 4 is a great game
Skyrim wasn’t good?
Get off cdprojekt dikk, Bethesda been holding the industry down for years and gets shytted on for they buggy games, cdprojekt isn’t above reproach because they released an aight game in the Witcher 3

Okay what are you saying that you VALUE in these games? These open world rpg's.

I value:

- do different areas have higher level enemies and items i have to work up to.
Its casual to have a game that levels with you
-handwritten and creatively interesting premises for quests. I dont want half ass quests, i dont want fetch quests. Or a radiant quest system devoid of creativity
- expansive loot variety, with weapon repair, i dont wanna find the strongest weapon, and not need another weapon ever again.

The witcher 3 and cyberpunk does all this. That is an open world rpg. Skyrim lacks in all of these categories. So what exactly are you valuing outside of being able to go into anywhere and fighting monsters. Because skyrim and fallout 4's quests dont even compare to their predecessors.

Do we value different things? Do you not care that skyrim was lacking compared to even oblivions dark brotherhood, thieves, mages, and all other quests like the coliseum?

AngryBaby

All Star
Bushed
Daps

I mean thats not really pushing the industry forward. Thats just allowing users to create already established concepts lol

Were talking...that feeling you got when half life 2 was demoed in 2003. If any of you are old enough to remember...

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You laugh but this is textbook "innovation". If true as some dissenters would have you believe that Sony is "all about graphics", Sony would've never ventured on with VR since that's typically contingent upon strictly gameplay innovation. Playing Astrobot in VR was definitely a game changer in that I wished NIntendo would go that route for some of their games but then again you guys would've been having convulsions if Microsoft was launching a VR headset.

Sony could come out with a brand new IP that literally is filled to the brim with player agency like Elden Ring, exploration and physics based gameplay with tools and no single path like BOTW with super tight mechanics, while having beautiful industry crushing graphics and a well presented story with high production values and you CLOWNS would still say "Mann... this game is too overwhelming..."

VR is around and available on many different platforms. Them dropping an addon and making VR games doesn't make them a innovator in VR.. You can play VR and EASILY also cheaper in your living room on computer monitors without a PSVR.

There is nothing like the switch on the market for console gaming.
There is nothing on the market like Xbox for Cloud gaming.
There is nothing on the market like Playstation for......? VR gaming. Well that's not true, console gaming? Cloud gaming?

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Okay what are you saying that you VALUE in these games? These open world rpg's.

I value:

- do different areas have higher level enemies and items i have to work up to.
Its casual to have a game that levels with you
-handwritten and creatively interesting premises for quests. I dont want half ass quests, i dont want fetch quests. Or a radiant quest system devoid of creativity
- expansive loot variety, with weapon repair, i dont wanna find the strongest weapon, and not need another weapon ever again.

The witcher 3 and cyberpunk does all this. That is an open world rpg. Skyrim lacks in all of these categories. So what exactly are you valuing outside of being able to go into anywhere and fighting monsters. Because skyrim and fallout 4's quests dont even compare to their predecessors.

Do we value different things? Do you not care that skyrim was lacking compared to even oblivions dark brotherhood, thieves, mages, and all other quests like the coliseum?
Skyrim and fallout is not lacking compared to the Witcher 3

Witcher 3 gameplay was repetitive and not really that good, again cyberpunk was a broken game when it came out, I like cyberpunk but it shouldn’t have been hyped like it was

Its your opinion Witcher 3 had better quests, I think fallout and Skyrim had good quests

Skyrim and fallout both had better loot systems than the Witcher

These values you have really ain’t got nothing to do with games being fun, it just only points out how Skyrim and Witcher is built differently but that doesn’t mean the gameplay is better

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

:mjlol:

Dreams is basically a "maker" "game" idk if you should be bragging about sony giving people the tools create an actually game. Still it's cool not really innovative as maker games have been around forever now.

But if you want to go this route, before dreams there was

Which is actually innovate to the field of maker games by making a toy to life type game.

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
Fallout 4 was one of the best games last generation, Witcher 3 is a repetitive game that wasn’t fun