Let's be real about gaming this gen.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
I’m not understanding what y’all expecting from video games, especially y’all dudes who say nothing is different except graphics
What about games like resident evil 8, skerio, returnal, control, ghost of Tsushima, ratchet and clank, call of duty, god of war, deathloop, the most recent devil may cry, need for speed/froza horizon, kingdom hearts, death stranding, destiny

Y’all really going to sit here and act like PlayStation 2 games or generations before that were better than the games we getting now, y’all need to cut it out, don’t let nostalgia cloud your minds to properly judge games
People have given good examples. Remember when the rumble controllers came out.. Remember when Mario 64 came out. Street fighter/Mortal Kombat. VR is definitely what people mean. I'd also agree with the new dual shock 5s. Online gaming. Goldeneye. Madden... GTA 3..

Game changers. REAL system sellers. Something that makes you say OH shyt!! Dreamcast 2k games. Metal Gear Solid. Games that defined not only a year, but an entire system. Accessories that changed everything. Wireless controllers. Kinect.

I love all the games you named, but none of them have changed gaming.. I do think the answer is VR though as to the latest innovation. It's just now catching on, but once it does and every game comes with a VR mode.. That's when you'll know

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
People have given good examples. Remember when the rumble controllers came out.. Remember when Mario 64 came out. Street fighter/Mortal Kombat. VR is definitely what people mean. I'd also agree with the new dual shock 5s. Online gaming. Goldeneye. Madden... GTA 3..

Game changers. REAL system sellers. Something that makes you say OH shyt!! Dreamcast 2k games. Metal Gear Solid. Games that defined not only a year, but an entire system. Accessories that changed everything. Wireless controllers. Kinect.

I love all the games you named, but none of them have changed gaming.. I do think the answer is VR though as to the latest innovation. It's just now catching on, but once it does and every game comes with a VR mode.. That's when you'll know
I wasn’t alive to experience some of those innovations but realistically how often does something come out that changes the game in gaming history, right now it’s a lot of interesting games that came out and is coming out soon but we should dismiss them because they don’t have some gimmick we ain’t used too?

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
AAA gaming is the antithesis to experimentation and new ideas. It will always be iterative and risk averse as budgets are extremely high and the DLC/microtransactions model is just too profitable to go away. I will enjoy these games but they rarely raise the bar for me

Indie gaming is where it's at. Fresh ideas and getting the most out of that smaller budget as high quality visuals are not the priority

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Whole thread is full of boomer babble.

With so many emerging sub genres like battle royales, extraction games, survival games, and then you got the whole VR and AR worlds, its hard to say innovation is lacking these days in gaming.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This sentiment is really just "This is how I feel about games right now..." and often times it's subjective as how can one say for example Battle Royale games haven't redefined gaming?

Yes, games aren't going to redefine genres the way a 3D game did coming from a 2D era back then a la Mario 64 or FFVII. Nowadays, games just freshen up experiences and to me, games like God of War 2018 were one example of a game that completely rebooted the series in a new way.

Like it or not, the original GOW games got stale after the 3rd one. I remember playing Ascension and being a little bored of it because it was the same thing and got tiring. Play something else that you wouldn't normally play.

If you're looking forward to AAA titles only, they're typically going to be more of the same in a way.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Whole thread is full of boomer babble.

With so many emerging sub genres like battle royales, extraction games, survival games, and then you got the whole VR and AR worlds, its hard to say innovation is lacking these days in gaming.
Those are popular genres that emerged this generation for sure, but how many lazy copycats have we seen of the Fortnite format and the crafting/survival format as a result? Plus a lot of those games are tied to Gen Z/streamer/influencer culture, which I'm sorry, as someone who is 30+ finds that scene kind of lame and doesn't engage with that content at all

Jaguar93

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol: What more innovation do y’all dudes want? What more can the open world, racing, platformers, shooters, and fighting games genre do? Everything has reached its peak. We saw and played, everything theses genres can offer. You crazy if you think we will get. Another big generation leap, like we did in the past. VR and motion controls are a gimmick. A fun one…but most gamers would rather play games in the traditional way. And that’s ass to couch. The best thing video games can do right now. Is to be great fukk innovation.

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
:mjlol: What more innovation do y’all dudes want? What more can the open world, racing, platformers, shooters, and fighting games genre do? Everything has reached its peak. We saw and played, everything theses genres can offer. You crazy if you think we will get. Another big generation leap, like we did in the past. VR and motion controls are a gimmick. A fun one…but most gamers would rather play games in the traditional way. And that’s ass to couch. The best thing video games can do right now. Is to be great fukk innovation.

Nope. We havent seen everything these "genres" can offer. Its so expensive to make high quality games now that developers have distilled these genres down to things they think guarantee sales. If a game costs 100 million to make, you arent likely to make some off the wall experimental game that could bomb. Those types of mechanics show up in small indie games, its just that those games dont have the budget to implement their concepts into a title with the graphical fidelity of a GoW.

There is a much larger difference in graphical quality between a small indie game today and your system selling exclusives. Late stage PS2 is when that divide grew too large to make up. Before then you could have some indie company make a game that looked just as good as something Konami or Capcom would put out.

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
Those are popular genres that emerged this generation for sure, but how many lazy copycats have we seen of the Fortnite format and the crafting/survival format as a result? Plus a lot of those games are tied to Gen Z/streamer/influencer culture, which I'm sorry, as someone who is 30+ finds that scene kind of lame and doesn't engage with that content at all

Yeah so here's the problem. You're putting these games in a box and you've automatically made your mind up about them. The two closest competitors to Fortnite play completely different to it.

I dont know what you're specifically looking for but there's all kinds of experiences being made today versus the traditional RPG / fighter / shooter / action game categories in the past.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Eventually you reach the point of diminishing returns, when that point is reached depends on when a player started playing games. If you started playing games in the '80s and 90s then this probably started to rear its ugly head early last generation.

I often get clowned on for saying how I'm tired of these AAA games being the same game over and over again gameplay wise. But most of the triple A games bore me to tears gameplay wise and the ones that don't are super engaging while playing but I'd never go back and play again.

Innovation in gaming is here it's just in the indie and smaller A and AA games.

The real innovation tech wise in gaming now isn't watch you really see graphically but FPS frame rate and input lag and delay. Which isn't exciting to the average player

The last AAA innovative game that took the masses by storm was botw. Ironically enough graphically it wasn't current generation level at all.

The problem is people want insane graphics as well as insane innovation on top of that a great frame rate and then some. All for the low price of 70 bucks... And the devs and publishers have to hope it moves units.

So what you get is safe remakes, or familiar IPs and sequels that try to touch all of those areas while still being profitable.

Really it just cost too much to make AAA games now that are innovative and risk-taking on average.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
There was a time when triple A games gave you brand new experiences and innovation, and cheaper developed games just tried to cash in or just get something out.

I think people remember those times and are holding on to them.

At some point when games started becoming more expensive to create and started to make real money those to things swapped.

Cheaper developed games started being the ones to try new things and Triple A games became the ones to cash in on what's popular and works.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Eventually you reach the point of diminishing returns, when that point is reached depends on when a player started playing games. If you started playing games in the '80s and 90s then this probably started to rear its ugly head early last generation.

I often get clowned on for saying how I'm tired of these AAA games being the same game over and over again gameplay wise. But most of the triple A games bore me to tears gameplay wise and the ones that don't are super engaging while playing but I'd never go back and play again.

Innovation in gaming is here it's just in the indie and smaller A and AA games.

The real innovation tech wise in gaming now isn't watch you really see graphically but FPS frame rate and input lag and delay. Which isn't exciting to the average player

The last AAA innovative game that took the masses by storm was botw. Ironically enough graphically it wasn't current generation level at all.

The problem is people want insane graphics as well as insane innovation on top of that a great frame rate and then some. All for the low price of 70 bucks... And the devs and publishers have to hope it moves units.

So what you get is safe remakes, or familiar IPs and sequels that try to touch all of those areas while still being profitable.

Really it just cost too much to make AAA games now that are innovative and risk-taking on average.
I'm tired of the BOTW adulation, that game was boring as shyt and it was graphically lacking because of the platform it was on. BOTW or any Switch game having graphically insane graphics wouldn't make a game not as good. Proof?

The years when Nintendo had powerful consoles that were up there with everything else and they were STILL groundbreaking games. Look at any game from the SNES, N64 and GC era.

Metroid Prime
Smash Bros Melee
Mario 64
Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 007

Hell, Metroid Prime is considered one of the GOAT games and yet it came out on the GameCube which was slightly below the Xbox 1 and far superior to the PS2 graphically.

This idea that innovation can't take place whilst having AAA production values is false. Death Stranding was one example of a game that tried something very different whilst having beautiful graphics but people called it a Fedex simulator. If the 2nd one comes out and it's well received, suddenly it'll just be "More of the same" by you cats.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I mean, Nintendo games cost a fraction to develop compared to all these other AAA titles, shyt their games still dont even have real voice acting and they aren’t any more “risk taking” than any other major publishers.

This year they released their 20th kirby game, nintendo sports 3, mario strikers 2, xenoblade chronicles 3, mario party expansion, mario kart retro tracks, splatoon 3, bayonetta 3, and 2 pokemon games.