Let's be real about gaming this gen.

ISO

Pass me the rock nikka
Daps
Reppin
BX, NYC
Gaming is better than ever. If you can’t find games you like to play then you’re probably just growing old and jaded and need to move on at this point.

Its like when people tell me theres nothing good on tv anymore. We have way more variety and far more options for consuming games than we did 20 years ago ,its not even close

Nothing is going to recreate that childhood experience of playing mario 64 or tekken for the first time. You’re searching for a high that doesn’t exist :yeshrug:
Hell no PS2’s game library and variety>>>

tripleaamin

All Star
Daps
3 years into the gen tho?
That has more to do with demand greatly outweighing the current supply. Granted it has been much easier to get these systems online then it was at launch. But I have never seen a PS5 or XSX available for sale at a retailer. It's one thing to say it's disappointing which I would actually agree with. Tho to say it's trash is a way over the top imo.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Elden Ring is the biggest game of the year by a country mile and what was it really? Another Souls game but open-world and with a loose George RR Martin association.

I loved it, but it's not exactly pushing the envelope (except horse double jumps!). But that said, it was a fun ass game with great gameplay. Maybe that's all that really matters?

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Elden Ring is the biggest game of the year by a country mile and what was it really? Another Souls game but open-world and with a loose George RR Martin association.

I loved it, but it's not exactly pushing the envelope (except horse double jumps!). But that said, it was a fun ass game with great gameplay. Maybe that's all that really matters?

Games being fun…tell me more.:jbhmm:

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I guess what I'm saying is yes, games are fun but also AAA gaming is risk averse but we don't always gotta take risks to have a good time!

Yeah, i was agreeing.

I also see a massive pushback from chuds when AAA games dare try something different also so you really can’t win either way.

TheSuperkick!

The Ultimate Madness!
Supporter
Daps
I also see a massive pushback from chuds when AAA games dare try something different also so you really can’t win either way.
"Chuds" really???

And what AAA developers have tried something different?

Fanservice

Bih call me senpai
Daps
There was nothing innovative about last gen either except maybe Titanfall 1. It was still a great gen tho.

Daps
Reppin
Aaru
Nintendo, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, and Fromsoftware are the only AAA developers that push the industry forward :yeshrug:

I see more innovation and experimentation in many indie games these days :yeshrug:

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
besides better graphics , I believe everything that could be done with 3D gaming has been done , all you can do is improve upon that.

the next step is VR.
This... What else is there to actually do? OP removed graphics and framerate out of the equation.. That leaves gameplay

So what gameplay elements do y'all think they really can add, that's going to make a difference? Only thing I can think of is better AI.. But that's going to take YEARS before we get actual learning machines and AI to match our human brains

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Midnight Suns was innovative and AAA, there has never been a game like that made before but a lot of cats won’t even look at it because “ew cards”

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
I think people have to be more open to trying different things than just staying in your lane. Back when I was growing up, I was content to eat with just Nintendo and Square but as I've gotten older, I've expanded my horizons a bit. The younger me would have never touched a Vampire Survivors or a Hades, in reference to roguelikes for example. Every game can't be AAA and once in a while, you'll find a gem of a game that has solid gameplay under an exterior that isn't the prettiest on the block. There is something out there for you to discover and enjoy.