Let's actually have a hip-hop conversation for once... Does anybody else have "IWW > Illmatic"?

Big Mel

@bigboss
Daps
Reppin
Flodge free zone
Nah. U didn't debunk me fam. There's a million examples aside from the ones I mentioned. I just mentioned one of em that happened to be on Illmatic. I didn't even say who debunked who. I just mentioned the exchange in general. U want some more examples.
And this is back to back years.

And this one.

There's many more.

And? I don't give a damn about any of those songs. However, if you recall, I cited examples of classic rap songs that all share the same sample source in that thread. Its My Thing/Only When I'm drunk/Ain't no nikka & Buck Em Down/Stray Bullet/Def Of a Thug nikka. Those are all great songs.

You're going an awful long way to defend Street Dreams, a mediocre song. All Eyez On Me wasn't even that great.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
IWW was most certainly an attempt to crossover

Lauryn Hill and R. Kelly featured on his two singles, arguably the two biggest stars in "hip hop/r&b" music at the time, trackmasters on the production tip. It was clear crossover attempt and it worked. Doesn't mean the album isn't fire

Like I said before, I wasn't a fan when it first dropped but over the years I love it for what it was. Especially Nas' rapping was on another level on IWW. P was in his prime and Nas left that nikka in the dust on "Live nikka Rap"
Like I said. It was fine for Biggie to collab wit R Kelly. And it was fine for a bunch of other people to collab wit Lauryn Hill. But Nas does it and it's a problem? The nikka Nas knew Lauryn Hill PERSONALLY. The Fugees used to open up for him when he would perform Illmatic.

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
And? I don't give a damn about any of those songs. However, if you recall, I cited examples of classic rap songs that all share the same sample source in that thread. Its My Thing/Only When I'm drunk/Ain't no nikka & Buck Em Down/Stray Bullet/Def Of a Thug nikka. Those are all great songs.

You're going an awful long way to defend Street Dreams, a mediocre song. All Eyez On Me wasn't even that great.
Son it's a slippery slope I can name a million songs u get the damn point. Lol

Brosef

I respect O.G. knowledge
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
T-Dot
IWW has a few tracks that I skip -- Black Girl Lost, Nas is Coming, and sometimes If I Ruled the World

With Illmatic there are no breaks, and NaS was slightly better lyrically

If you're talking production I could see how they're equal though

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Like I said. It was fine for Biggie to collab wit R Kelly. And it was fine for a bunch of other people to collab wit Lauryn Hill. But Nas does it and it's a problem? The nikka Nas knew Lauryn Hill PERSONALLY. The Fugees used to open up for him when he would perform Illmatic.
Biggie was always a crossover rapper. He was signed to Puff. nikkas know what it was.

Nas was considered "real hip hop" that's why he got backlash. Same reason Mic Geronimo and Krs-one got backlash for working with Puffy in 1997

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
Biggie was always a crossover rapper. He was signed to Puff. nikkas know what it was.

Nas was considered "real hip hop" that's why he got backlash. Same reason Mic Geronimo and Krs-one got backlash for working with Puffy in 1997
Exactly. A bunch of grown ass men put pressure on and idolized a 19 year old kid and tried to pin their own expectations of what they wanted him to be off on him. All Nas had to show for Illmatic was 5 mics. nikkas bootlegged the album and didn't buy it. And the very magazine that gave him 5 mics gave all the accolades to the more commercial artist when it counted the most. nikka didn't get the support he needed to keep goin in that direction from the very same people who criticized him for straying away from it. People wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Meanwhile Nas was still broke in Queens with a crazy baby mama and a newborn.

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
The music was dope. Period. Which is why threads like these get made. shyt. Most people heard IWW first and went back and listened to Illmatic. If it wasn't for IWW most people wouldn't have even been able to appreciate Illmatic for its greatness. nikkas like u just like artists all to urself on some "best kept secret" shyt. And don't get it twisted. I'm not sayin IWW is better. And I had Illmatic on cassette when it dropped.

Excuse selling out our culture for business, breh.

Art Barr

Art Barr

INVADING SOHH CHAMPION
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Exactly. A bunch of grown ass men put pressure on and idolized a 19 year old kid and tried to pin their own expectations of what they wanted him to be off on him. All Nas had to show for Illmatic was 5 mics. nikkas bootlegged the album and didn't buy it. And the very magazine that gave him 5 mics gave all the accolades to the more commercial artist when it counted the most. nikka didn't get the support he needed to keep goin in that direction from the very same people who criticized him for straying away from it. People wanted to have their cake and eat it too. Meanwhile Nas was still broke in Queens with a crazy baby mama and a newborn.

Excuse a nikka no showing shows.
Excuse a nikka for selling out and having wet t shirt contest like he Luke.
Except, he is a cultural artist, breh.

Art Barr

hayesc0

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
tumblr_lebn7nGwAH1qcru8c.gif

DrexlersFade

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No No