Lauryn Hill might be done

Budda

Superstar
Daps
First of all, it does not matter whether you are talking about the singer or the group because it is not true. Like many other people have said, her one (ONE!) great album does not make her some generational talent.

Secondly, talking about Sade is a band in relation to Lauryn is weird given that the only solo album she has done was with New Ark and not by herself.

Are you really serious about Miseducation being better than the entire discography of Sade? Do you really think that Lauryn is so great but cant even put out another album to showcase her immense talent?

is Biggie a generational talent with just two albums? I would say yes, what you think?

I’m not talking about solely discographies, I’m talking about the fact Lauryn can sing and rap to a higher level and neither are known for playing instruments.

That’s why I can understand any argument of Sade being far more supremely talented than Lauryn, in what remit, is she mentally better, a better more stable hardworking person, yes, but natural God given talent nah I don’t have above Lauryn at all.

Yet I’ll rank above her in any artist list because like I said talent is just one part of anything you do.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Biggie is a generational rapper of the back of two albums and you’ve got rappers who have ten albums who you would not make that statement for. Body of work counts for a lot but some artists are just so spellbinsing from the gate, I don’t mind calling a woman like Lauryn Hill who dropped arguably the best Rnb album of the 90’s better than anything from Mariah or Whitney at the time, a woman who can sing like Brandy-and rap like Nas(hyperbole but you get the point) a generational talent.

Mental issues meant she didn’t get to did ill her potential when we talk about talent it’s only one part to what makes an accomplished person in any field, having the talent but not the other things is why I couldn’t hold her in the esteem of the greatest she should be held with.

Body of work? Breh...Biggie's legacy is largely attributed to his murder. You have to understand something...Miseducation was Lauryn's peak. Mariah was on her 6th album when miseducation came out. Whitney was on her 4th, and "My love is your love" was the beginning of the end for her, as her Drug use was starting to become very obvious. I'm not arguing that Lauryn isn't talented. I'm arguing that people are leaning on this one project that was never duplicated. She has no consistency which in my opinion makes her nothing more than a flash in the pan. Every other artist mentioned by myself and others don't have that. They have consistent reigns, or steady decline as they age out.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
is Biggie a generational talent with just two albums? I would say yes, what you think?

I’m not talking about solely discographies, I’m talking about the fact Lauryn can sing and rap to a higher level and neither are known for playing instruments.

That’s why I can understand any argument of Sade being far more supremely talented than Lauryn, in what remit, is she mentally better, a better more stable hardworking person, yes, but natural God given talent nah I don’t have above Lauryn at all.

Yet I’ll rank above her in any artist list because like I said talent is just one part of anything you do.
Drake can sing and rap, does that make him better than Nas? Brian Mcknight can play multiple instruments does that make him better than Michael Jackson?

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Body of work? Breh...Biggie's legacy is largely attributed to his murder. You have to understand something...Miseducation was Lauryn's peak. Mariah was on her 6th album when miseducation came out. Whitney was on her 4th, and "My love is your love" was the beginning of the end for her, as her Drug use was starting to become very obvious. I'm not arguing that Lauryn isn't talented. I'm arguing that people are leaning on this one project that was never duplicated. She has no consistency which in my opinion makes her nothing more than a flash in the pan. Every other artist mentioned by myself and others don't have that. They have consistent reigns, or steady decline as they age out.

So Biggie isn’t a generational rapper?

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
Biggie was at the right place at the right time. In my opinion no...he isn't. He's more infamous that anything. His legacy is ascribed to beef, and his untimely death. I mean hey...Since you wanna use talent as a barometer...Andre 3000 is a much more talented rapper than biggie ever would be.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Drake can sing and rap, does that make him better than Nas? Brian Mcknight can play multiple instruments does that make him better than Michael Jackson?

Are you serious?:hhh: Drake can barely rap better than Lauryn, let’s not even delve into the singing part.

It’s about doing things to a high level, that’s what you get credit for, I wouldn’t laugh if someone said Nas isn’t more talented than Mos Def for example(and he can’t sing anywhere as good as Lauryn) and Nas is my GOAT.

MJ is different ball game because as an entertainer he is an all time vocalist dancer and songwriter, it will be hard to say someone was better than him, as he is a literal child prodigy. The argument isn’t about who’s better also, I agree Sade has a better legacy but she isn’t more talented than Lauryn.

Budda

Superstar
Daps
Biggie was at the right place at the right time. In my opinion no...he isn't. He's more infamous that anything. His legacy is ascribed to beef, and his untimely death. I mean hey...Since you wanna use talent as a barometer...Andre 3000 is a much more talented rapper than biggie ever would be.

I always say Biggie is the most natural rapper to ever exist in terms of how he flowed on the beat, I still ain’t seen a rapper mesh into the beat and almost use it as an instrument as good as he did since, I think maybe only Rakim comes close. I only ever needed an album to know Biggie was something very very special, you get artists and people like that in any walk of life, even sports, someone like D Rose for example in Basketball.

F*ckthemkids

Superstar
Daps
I always say Biggie is the most natural rapper to ever exist in terms of how he flowed on the beat, I still ain’t seen a rapper mesh into the beat and almost use it as an instrument as good as he did since, I think maybe only Rakim comes close. I only ever needed an album to know Biggie was something very very special, you get artists and people like that in any walk of life, even sports, someone like D Rose for example in Basketball.

We can agree to disagree breh...I just was never a huge biggie fan...Growing up Nas was my favorite rapper. "I gave you power" in my opinion was one of the greatest songs produced among any genre.

Daps
Reppin
Ft. Stewart, Ga

Both of you have great points and I think in a way both of you are correct.

With Lauryn, it wasn't just one masterpiece that we have to judge her by. We have two group albums and a Live "Unplugged" to judge her talent alongside Miseducation, and I feel like thats enough to at least call her a genius artist. However, it does NOT make it an open/shut case that she's the GOAT or even a GOAT candidate. Or that she's more talented than someone like Sade. It DAMN SURE doesn't mean that she's "Show up late and be a bytch to your fans" levels of genius on some Anita Baker type steez. Lauryn Hill is NOT a generational artist but she DID make a generational album if that makes any sense.

The points for Lauryn is that she was arguably the best artist in her group when her group was on top of the world (I say "arguable" because Wyclef was no slouch and, unlike Lauryn, proved that he could make great, classic, hit music consistently across many years) The Score doesn't sell what it sold without Lauryn's voice and star power. Not to forget she was also a promising actor at one point, so the talent was pretty obvious. She's also upheld by the fact that not only rap, but female rap in particular has been watered down in such a manner that anyone looking for anything different has little choice but to listen to Miseducation because it remains the pinnacle of what a female Hip Hop album can be.

The points against Lauryn is her reputation has been upheld by her one solo album and the "mystique" she created by going ghost. Another poster said she made the Illmatic for Neo Soul Birds and I can't disagree. She was also sued and settled out of court which has led to a lot of public misinformation surrounding the album itself, from she didn't write or produce any of the songs (untrue) to she can't perform the original arrangements on tour (DEFINITELY not true) She's also publicly lying to her fans, saying bullshyt like nobody asked her to make another album when Columbia damn near gave her $3 Million to do JUST that and she couldn't deliver. It's a bad look no matter how you view it because Lauryn Hill is still very much alive whilst Biggie died (and STILL managed to put out to two more albums posthumously) Pac died and got FIVE posthumous albums. Nicki Minaj's entire family are rapists and degenerates and she's still cranking out music. Erykah Badu pops out a baby every full moon and still cranks out music. ALL artist go through personal shyt, its "supposed" to fuel your artistic narrative to tell yours and others stories and create art. What's Lauryn's excuse?

JLova

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Again, 1 solo studio album over the course of 25 years

It was a good album but she ain’t drop off the wall or thriller :russ:

You acting like she out out 10 duds sand had 1 successful album. She had mental issues which impacted her.

MOLH is better than Good. Cmon. How old are you?

nose hair

Veteran
Daps
You acting like she out out 10 duds sand had 1 successful album. She had mental issues which impacted her.

MOLH is better than Good. Cmon. How old are you?

You can’t be serious

The fact that she doesn’t have any other albums to match this “talent” she so call possesses is a way for her stans to flip her tortured image into folklore

The myth outweighs the work

If she has serious issues like that, then her family, friends and camp should do a better job of helping her and not leaving her out to dry and flake when she cancels shows on a whim like this, which she’s done numerous times over the last 2 decades

Sounds like she needs help in the form of therapy and counseling and not entertainment

The better question is, how old are you? Lol

And since you asked me, I’ll answer your question; I’m 37.

Can’t believe the excuses her stans still make for her. This is sad