Lauryn Hill might be done

Spence

Superstar
Daps
When I saw her tour on Groupon last time she stopped in Houston I knew she was done :mjlol:

People put her up on this huge ass pedestal

Let’s take a look at her body if work:

Sister Act 2

Fugees The Score where she was singing mostly just the hooks (3 bangers on that whole album that charted)

Miseducation which had, what? 5 songs that charted and 5 Grammys off it

Then?…………

Nothing at all, not even an attempt at a follow up. Why? Because she bit the hands that fed her and she’s so nuclear no fkn body wants to work with her stupid ass :dead:

She isn’t the princess that was promised, people need to start realizing that :ufdup:

Waka FICO Flamez

Bricksquad Monopoly
Daps
To be honest she has a few massive hits. Some solo and some with her group

That’s like asking why Andre 3000 has fans

They’re basically the same artist

Disagree. Andre has had songs over a period of time longer than her. More music to pick from overall. Definitely more recent music.She is coasting like 90% on an album that came out in 97.

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Break me down how Sade Adu is so much more talented than Lauryn Hill please @ThrobbingHood @Fill Collins @priority
One person’s career has spanned multiple albums over three decades.

One person’s career had a spark in the mid-late 90s and hasn’t recaptured it since.

Which artist has been imitated and been compared to the most in their careers? Nothing wrong with personal taste but you can’t objectively compare the two.

6 albums >> 1.5 (unfinished songs as a live album).

4 decades >>> 5 year period.

Are we really doing this? And yes, we all know Sade is a band but she’s the front woman and writes/co-writes 95% of the songs.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
One person’s career has spanned multiple albums over three decades.

One person’s career had a spark in the mid-late 90s and hasn’t recaptured it since.

Which artist has been imitated and been compared to the most in their careers? Nothing wrong with personal taste but you can’t objectively compare the two.

6 albums >> 1.5 (unfinished songs as a live album).

4 decades >>> 5 year period.

Are we really doing this? And yes, we all know Sade is a band but she’s the front woman and writes/co-writes 95% of the songs.
Sade still selling cd’s in Starbucks :heh:

She could go on tour right now and sell out stadiums (outside the US) and not miss a beat. Last time she toured was 50 stops globally all sold out 12 years ago

Lauryn out here doing Bingo Halls in backwoods Dallas :mjlol:

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
To be honest she has a few massive hits. Some solo and some with her group

That’s like asking why Andre 3000 has fans

They’re basically the same artist
Nah. Andre 3000 has a wider catalog with OutKast. He’s had more memorable features on other artists work. Just off the top of my head.. his verses on: Beyonce - Party. Kelis- Millionaire. UGK- Intl’ Player’s Anthem.

You hear the term “sounds like Andre 3000” or “Sade-esque.” On God, I rarely if ever hear the same of Lauryn Hill. She had a good run but not the point where multiple artist were trying to imitate her style or sound.

Prince had his sound. Michael had his. Stevie. James Brown. Barry White. Timbaland. Missy. The Neptunes etc. They all had a signature style that people to this day try and imitate.

What “sound” did Lauryn Will pioneer that people try and imitate today?

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Sade still selling cd’s in Starbucks :heh:

She could go on tour right now and sell out stadiums (outside the US) and not miss a beat. Last time she toured was 50 stops globally all sold out 12 years ago

Lauryn out here doing Bingo Halls in backwoods Dallas :mjlol:
Breh, i was trying to be respectful but she isn’t fit to kiss Sade’s shoes. They’re not on the same level AT ALL. Maxwell can take a break for nearly 10 years and drop and a number one selling classic album.

Why? Because he’s always had the talent and a dedicated fanbase. They know he will deliver and be consistent. He doesn’t need multiple producers or writers.

I’d put Lauryn Hill on the same level as D’Angelo and even that’s being generous. He at least has 3 albums over three decades and they were all great.

Spence

Superstar
Daps
Nah. Andre 3000 has a wider catalog with OutKast. He’s had more memorable features on other artists work. Just off the top of my head.. his verses on: Beyonce - Party. Kelis- Millionaire. UGK- Intl’ Player’s Anthem.

You hear the term “sounds like Andre 3000” or “Sade-esque.” On God, I rarely if ever hear the same of Lauryn Hill. She had a good run but not the point where multiple artist were trying to imitate her style or sound.

Prince had his sound. Michael had his. Stevie. James Brown. Barry White. Timbaland. Missy. The Neptunes etc. They all had a signature style that people to this day try and imitate.

What “sound” did Lauryn Will pioneer that people try and imitate today?
Who is out right now that both raps (actual hip hop lyrics, not that Jhene Aiko shyt) and sings actual songs? H.E.R. Maybe?

ThrobbingHood

Breh&Breh Associates™
Daps
Who is out right now that both raps (actual hip hop lyrics, not that Jhene Aiko shyt) and sings actual songs? H.E.R. Maybe?
I’m gonna be honest. I’ve tried to listen to this new crowd to be objectively fair but I can’t get into their music. It feels too manufactured. We’re really in one of the worst eras of music.

Even Jazmine Sullivan has had to resort to making ratchet R&B to get some accolades. I heard my niece playing “BPW” by her and I just hit the :scust: This is what it’s come to?

I don’t mind innuendo. That’s what most music, especially R&B of my era was built on. But having to be that unimaginative and vulgar is classless.

Take Sade: she can sing about getting eaten out and make it sound classy:

Your love is king, crown you in my heart
Your love is king, never need to part
Your kisses ring round and round and round my head
Touching the very part of me, it's making my soul sing

Tearing the very heart of me, I'm crying out for more

That’s the difference. She can sing about oral sex and still make it classy and not overt, whilst juxtaposing that with emotional intimacy. That takes talent. Rapping about having a wet box or having the best box in the world shows a lack of imagination. It’s the shock jock era of music. :mjcry:

Spence

Superstar
Daps
I’m gonna be honest. I’ve tried to listen to this new crowd to be objectively fair but I can’t get into their music. It feels too manufactured. We’re really in one of the worst eras of music.

Even Jazmine Sullivan has had to resort to making ratchet R&B to get some accolades. I heard my niece playing “BPW” by her and I just hit the :scust: This is what it’s come too?

I don’t mind innuendo. That’s what most music, especially R&B of my era was built on. But having to be that unimaginative and vulgar is classless.

Take Sade: she can sing about getting eaten out and make it sound classy:

Your love is king, crown you in my heart
Your love is king, never need to part
Your kisses ring round and round and round my head
Touching the very part of me, it's making my soul sing

Tearing the very heart of me, I'm crying out for more

That’s the difference. She can sing about oral sex and still make it classy and not overt, whilst juxtaposing that with emotional intimacy. That takes talent. Rapping about having a wet box or having the best box in the world shows a lack of imagination. It’s the shock jock era of music. :mjcry:
Adena Howard > Sukihana :mjlol: