Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps
Never understood the fascination that a lot of Blacks have with Latinos. They irritate me.

I have no beef with pro-black Latinos that address the self hatred in the Spanish speaking world, but a lot of protests are buried and hardly ever brought to light.

"Empire" was a Latino hood movie that came out in late 2002 that had Fat Joe in it, but brehs were too busy watching "Paid in Full" with Camron.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
The Black Latinos are notorious for not even admitting they are Black, talking about they are Spanish or some shyt..but I know its not them but the White Latino's making these insane claims trying to leech off of rap..like Black intellectual property is up for grabs for whoever claims it first..fukk 'em, fukk 'em all..

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Hip hop has always been inclusive of Latin people, particularly the women, who BM effectively used to replace Black women in videos. I don't care for Hispanics and I don't have any Hispanic friends so I'm glad that they are not on the show.

:stopitslime:...uh no. The first latinos to come into the circle of HipHop or the culture that produced early HipHop were Latino (Puerto Rican) men not women!

The people in the vid below are all Rican and Black males.

Ghetto Brothers (pred Rican but with non-spanish speaking blacks)

Black Spades (pred black but you had Ricans and even some whites! My moms brother (RIP) was down with the spades)

Bonus footage

Young Mr Wigglez on the right

As I said before, it's true, Latinos had nothing to do with the origins of HipHop but they as a people have been around Black American music/dance since the the 1930's this is why, while being outsiders to early HipHop, they were not outsiders to Black Americans or else you wouldn't have had them along with Cubans playing in the Black American jazz bands or the black american doo wop groups

1:01 for Cubans...7:05 for Ricans

The mambo big bands and then salsa were directly influenced by their interactions with playing and absorbing black american jazz music

@ 5:00 for Cubans....10:20 for puerto ricans

Back4The1stTime

All Star
Daps
The Black Latinos are notorious for not even admitting they are Black, talking about they are Spanish or some shyt..but I know its not them but the White Latino's making these insane claims trying to leech off of rap..like Black intellectual property is up for grabs for whoever claims it first..fukk 'em, fukk 'em all..

From my experience, most afro Latinos only want to associate with African Americans when it's beneficial to them. So a lot of them have the same mindset as their white counterparts. They only want to come around after we made something hot and did all the hard work. But please believe most of them will talk shyt about us every chance they get, even though they want to benefit from our progress and success

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
:stopitslime:...uh no. The first latinos to come into the circle of HipHop or the culture that produced early HipHop were Latino (Puerto Rican) men not women!

The people in the vid below are all Rican and Black males.

Ghetto Brothers (pred Rican but with non-spanish speaking blacks)

Black Spades (pred black but you had Ricans and even some whites! My moms brother (RIP) was down with the spades)

Bonus footage

Young Mr Wigglez on the right

As I said before, it's true, Latinos had nothing to do with the origins of HipHop but they as a people have been around Black American music/dance since the the 1930's this is why, while being outsiders to early HipHop, they were not outsiders to Black Americans or else you wouldn't have had them along with Cubans playing in the Black American jazz bands or the black american doo wop groups

1:01 for Cubans...7:05 for Ricans

The mambo big bands and then salsa were directly influenced by their interactions with playing and absorbing black american jazz music

@ 5:00 for Cubans....10:20 for puerto ricans

But I dont see them trying to claim they had something to do with Jazz , Doo Wop and Big Band music though like rap they played the background..

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
But I dont see them trying to claim they had something to do with Jazz , Doo Wop and Big Band music though like rap they played the background..

I agree but I was addressing the the part dude posted about " Hip hop has always been inclusive of Latin people, particularly the women"

Latin females aren't significant at all to early HipHop...there were prominent latina graffiti artists though but one must remember that, that whole movement is older than HipHop and was later incorporated because many of the early Dj's/pioneers were taggers.

Mike Ock

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The World, but from BK
I don't care about the show or the comment made to start this thread. But Latinos were right there at the start of hip hop in the Bx...Dj's, break dancers, even some as members in the early stage of the Zulu- Nation.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
I agree but I was addressing the the part dude posted about " Hip hop has always been inclusive of Latin people, particularly the women"

Latin females aren't significant at all to early HipHop...there were prominent latina graffiti artists though but one must remember that, that whole movement is older than HipHop and was later incorporated because many of the early Dj's/pioneers were taggers.

At what point in world history have Black men needed anybody's help in developing art?

And we all know the sort of talent that enabled Latin women to be allowed into the fold.

:rudy:

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I don't care about the show or the comment made to start this thread. But Latinos were right there at the start of hip hop in the Bx...Dj's, break dancers, even some as members in the early stage of the Zulu- Nation.

I could have sworn I addressed all of this:stopitslime: Read and listen again

It's important to note that the South Bronx was actually majority Puerto Rican, NOT majority Black during the era when hip-hop was created. That doesn't mean Puerto Ricans created hip-hop, but their contributions can't be ignored.

Most of the b-boys in the original Zulu Nation were Rican, not Black. The United Graffiti Artists, the first major graffiti organization in the country who eventually merged into the nation were formed by Hugo Martinez, a Rican. DJ Charlie Chase from the Cold Crush Brothers was Rican. DJ Disco Wiz (who formed Mighty Force Crew with Grandmaster Caz in the 70s) was Rican and Cuban, as was Prince Whipper Whip, another member of that crew. Vico C, the Mean Machine, Devastating Tito, DJ Master O.C., Prince Markie Dee Morales, The Real Roxanne... and this was all before Run DMC even existed, ie, before 1981. There is no doubt that Puerto Ricans were part of even the earliest days of the culture.

I got love for Puerto Ricans but most of what you posted isn't fact. Puerto Ricans were not part of HipHop from the START but they were the first non-black people around. In the early years of HipHop/Park Jams they were basically spectators. They weren't involved directly but they watched from afar. Bboying was black creation early on with no Ricans around

@ 8:26 he talks about when the Ricans started bboying

Ricans started getting involved more after 1975. Most of them never tried to get involved musically they felt they had to honor their own culture by their elders. Charlie Chase and Disco Wiz both attested to this. Disco Wiz interview

What was it like growing up in the Bronx and seeing the birth of a new genre?

It was a one-of-a-kind experience when hip-hop got started. Between the ages of eleven and fifteen, the streets of the Bronx raised me. I was running in packs and putting in work—robberies, stickups, the whole nine. That’s who I was before I got into the music. But once I met Caz, we instantly connected. And not too long after that, hip-hop started exploding all around us. Kool Herc’s name was ringing bells. Bambaataa and Flash were doing their thing on the other side of town. No one was really making noise on our side, so it was just a natural progression that we became students of the culture. We had already been dressing the aesthetic, we were both graffiti writers, and so becoming a part of the music was just the next natural step for us.

What were the biggest hardships of the ’70s?

Back then, New York was fukking bankrupt. There were no programs, no resources. After my father died, we became a family on welfare. My mother was working two jobs at that point just to support us. I went to school, but I think I got a better education in the streets. We were definitely aware of our social environment at a young age. When my brother and I started going to Catholic school, we were less than a handful of the Latinos there. Even before my mother went on welfare, they were already calling us welfare recipients. It was a tough time for a lot of folks. Gangs were running rampant in the Bronx, and I soon became a part of that. We were all in the same boat—broken homes and a lack of anything else to be a part of.

What kind of impact did the music have on you?

Once I got involved in hip-hop, I spent less time in the street, and I started to gravitate away from those friends. But my mind-set was still pretty much the same. I still had a really quick temper. I wasn’t that overly talkative dude you’d want to kick it with, but the music taught me a lot about being a pioneer. I was the first Latino DJ, the first Hispanic dude behind the turntables, so there were a lot of biases about that from the Latino community. Hip-hop was perceived as a Black movement when it first got started, so I was perceived as a Spanish guy trying to be Black, trying to be non-Spanish.

Disco Wiz with the Coldcrush Brothers, 1982. Photo courtesy of Disco Wiz and powerHouse Books.

What were most Latinos listening to then?

They were listening to disco, salsa, and Top 40. Whatever was available on WABC, the one station we had in New York. But we weren’t accepted at fukking disco joints. It’s not like I could have rolled up to Studio 54. So it was tough at first. But once hip-hop became more popular, and my crew started to do community events, hip-hop became distinctively ours. From there, we just gravitated to it even more and began to create our own mark, our own niche. I was still a very aggressive dude, so I started to channel that aggression out through the music. Caz used to get mad at me, ’cause I would break the knobs on the mixer. Sometimes, I’d even slam shyt and break a needle. I was known for that. I got behind the turntables like I wanted to beat a motherfukker up. That’s why I got heavy into breakbeats.

http://www.waxpoetics.com/features/...op-pioneer-dj-disco-wiz-spins-hard-knock-yarn

Dj Charlie Chase

DJ Charlie Chase, born Carlos Mandes, was the first Latino DJ who played a key role in establishing Latinos as a contributing force in the Bronx, New York hip-hop culture. Hitting the Hip-Hop scene in 1975. Charlie Chase was a founding member of the Cold Crush Brothers along with Dj Tony Tone. The groups other members are Grandmaster Caz, JDL, EZ AD and Almighty Kay Gee. Charlie Chase and Tony were also responsible in forming the first ever MC convention in Hip Hop history in 1980.

Chase was born in Manhattan on Jan, 16 in 1959 to Puerto Rican-born parents. Chase's family moved often and lived in many different New York City neighbourhoods which were primarily Puerto Rican or Black. Chase began playing music as a bassist in bands at the age of 14 representing a variety of musical styles. Chase produced his first album at the age of 16. In the 1970s, Chase DJ'd for WBLS alongside the legendary Funkmaster Flex. Chase received criticism from both Blacks and Hispanics for playing hip-hop music because at the time it was believed to be a genre reserved for Blacks. However, Charlie Chase's talent outweighed racial differences.

talking about criticism from both the latino and black side

@ 3:00 mins

@ 2:54....and 5:04 on his mother on him playing "black" music and not his own culture music (salsa) @ 5:18 Bboy,Trace "Salsa is beautiful we love it but you can't dance/bboy to Salsa, we needed that Funk"

Ricans biggest contribution was later on in Bboying, which is more after 1975. Crazy Legs @ :48 secs "We called that the moreno style..and moreno in spanish means black, and that's the original style of bboying"

@ :19 sec to 1:06...

@ :24 "The hispanic took to the dance, it was no longer only an AfroAmerican dance"... Rican dude is telling you right there the first bboys and originators of the dance he saw were black and then Ricans picked up on it after the fact

Last edited:

Luck

The one true gym gawd...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
In a short amount of a time span we have one side were Latinos are claiming some part in the foundation of hip hop and everything to do with that and the black culture that is associated with it and on the other we have Latinos with badges who are racist against blacks in the neighborhoods that they are employed by on top of promoting KKK affiliations

Which one is it???

Keep thinking it's sweet bruhs, "better the devil you know that the devil you don't..." We already know what cac's agenda is, but these other Spanish cacs will try to fool you into thinking otherwise

3rdWorld

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
All this talk about latinos being instrumental to the creation of hiphop yet are almost non existant in rap libraries minus a few tokens.