Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
Listen man, y'all on some different shyt posting up shyt bout Sala and other shyt and losing sight of fact that Latinos is cac juniors like a poster on here said and be on that :mjpls: in this country and in their native countries . Latinos with that one drop rule shyt even on that :mjpls: and in the majority of cases really want to distance themselves from anything black and associate blacks as being beneath them in their native countries. So don't try to scrub this topic throwing in Salas, drums and other African influences to somehow try to parallel yourselves with the black experience and try to be included in on the highlights of our black excellence . When these cacs got their boots on nikkaz necks y'all on that :mjpls: and now where to be seen. Change your ways Latinos, y'all just as fukked up as these cacs

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Typical retarded ass NY nikka talking shyt with that overly dramitic ass NY nikka accent. You need to slap yourself and take care of your moms nikka get the fukk off the internet with that all that bullshyt nikka. African people on the continent and in the diaspora created every music genre that matters including classical and we did it all by ourselves too.

typical clown responding to some strawman NY head with crap generalities in order to get his cookies off on the web that he can't do offline.

NYC Rebel

Daps
Listen man, y'all on some different shyt posting up shyt bout Sala and other shyt and losing sight of fact that Latinos is cac juniors like a poster on here said and be on that :mjpls: in this country and in their native countries . Latinos with that one drop rule shyt even on that :mjpls: and in the majority of cases really want to distance themselves from anything black and associate blacks as being beneath them in their native countries. So don't try to scrub this topic throwing in Salas, drums and other African influences to somehow try to parallel yourselves with the black experience and try to be included in on the highlights of our black excellence . When these cacs got their boots on nikkaz necks y'all on that :mjpls: and now where to be seen. Change your ways Latinos, y'all just as fukked up as these cacs
Just admit that discussions of this sort is above your level of understanding rather than saying "stop it."

Again...yall can talk about other groups...I just don't find Ricans being as hardbody on the color hate as other latin groups.

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
Just admit that discussions of this sort is above your level of understanding rather than saying "stop it."

Again...yall can talk about other groups...I just don't find Ricans being as hardbody on the color hate as other latin groups.
I understand quite well. I grew up in a Latino neighborhood, got called all kinda 'n1gger" by papi and to get from in front of his Bodega even before that whole context shyt came on the scene. One of my good friends is Puerto Rican living in Atlanta right now and married a sista, his family was kinda different cause they had black family members in PR and up here but breh the hate I used to experience from Latinos was far worst than cacs because cacs was scared to say that shyt to my face but not Latinos

Last edited:

NYC Rebel

Daps
I understand quite well. I grew up in a Latino neighborhood, got called all kinda 'n1gger" by papi and to get from in front of his Bodega even before that whole context shyt became on the scene. One of my good friends is Puerto Rican living in Atlanta right now and married a sista, his family was kinda different cause they had black family members in PR and up here but breh the hate I used to experience from Latinos was far worst that cacs because cacs was scared to say that shyt to my face but not Latinos
It's weird for me. My ex was half Rican and her grandfather was a black Rican that didn't like black people similar to how some West Indians feel about black americans. He died and every single one of his 9 kids married a black american. :heh:

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
It's weird for me. My ex was half Rican and her grandfather was a black Rican that didn't like black people similar to how some West Indians feel about black americans. He died and every single one of his 9 kids married a black american. :heh:
Lol. Good for them and sad for old dude. Yea like my deceased Jamaican grandmother who owned property, she never rented to Ricans. According to her Ricans brought roaches. I guess in a sense I also developed my own stigmatizems towards Latinos but alot of them had merit.

Hikki

Rookie
Daps
These Hispanics...I tell yea...

http://latina.com/entertainment/tv/empire-needs-latinos-hip-hop-industry-commentary

"Empire
isn’t as accurate as they want you to believe it is. Let me expain.
I’m a hip-hop baby. I was born and raised in 1980s (pre-gentrified) Brooklyn, NY. I’m Latino. I fell in love with the art form as a pre-teen in the ‘90s by doing graffiti and listening to the jazz-inspired sounds of A Tribe Called Quest and Gang Starr and the hardcore funk of Cypress Hill and The Beatnuts. And by the grace of the rap gods, I was fortunate enough to begin my journalism career as a hip-hop writer/editor. From ages 20 to 27 I interviewed countless MCs (Jay Z, Nas, Fat Joe, 50 Cent), producers (9th Wonder, Lil Jon) and music executives for SOHH.com, AllHipHop.com, Vibe, The Source and many more.
RELATED: 10 Things Empire Gets Wrong About the Hip-Hop Industry

With all this experience, I can tell you Empire doesn’t get it all right. I agree with most of the commentary from my fellow hip-hop head/colleague Celia San Miguel. Where are the Latinos in Empire? The hip-hop business, at least during my time, was one of the most diverse, multi-ethnic industries. As an editor at Harris Publications (Scratch, XXL, King, etc.) I shared the masthead with African Americans, Italian Americans, Latinas, Jewish Americans, and more. For example, in one interview request (where an editor asks to interview a celebrity) I could interact with an Asian American publicist, a white manager and an African American artist. A visit to the hallowed grounds of Def Jam Records, I would be greeted by a United Nations of faces working feverishly on breaking an artist or record.

So when I read the comments on Celia’s slideshow: “Why aren't you taking issue withFresh Off The Boat, a show that is set in Florida, where there is a large Latino population, for not showing Latinos. Why just go at Empire?” my response is because Fresh Off The Boat (BTW a stellar comedy) is about one Asian American man’s (Eddie Huang) real life experience with hip-hop. Empire is, yes, about one fictitious record label, but at a larger scale it’s about the hip-hop industry—which as I stated earlier is multi-culti.

And hip-hop has been multi-culti since its inception. Created by black and Latino kids in the Bronx, as a vehicle to give voice to the voiceless—us. I have endless discussions with one of my best friends, who is a proud Haitian Canadian and also runs the hip-hop section of iTunes, about rap, black and Latin music and more. We both agree we’re still underrepresented in a lot of avenues and would love to see more black and brown collaborations.

So when a pop culture phenomenon like Empire comes along, we had high aspirations for equal representation. Alas, it’s only the first season and I’m sure its run won’t be “short like Leprechauns.” Plus, Empire’s showrunner is Ilene Chaiken, a 57-year-old white woman, who I don’t expect to be extremely well versed in the hip-hop world despite her credits. I owe a lot to hip-hop—it made me a creative writer/thinker, it nurtured one of my best friendships, and thanks to DJ Enuff and Angie Martinez (two Puerto Rocks) I met my wife. It’s not about “riding the coattails” of anyone, it’s about being true to reality. And the reality is I was a writer named Jesus interviewing your favorite rappers.
"

Last edited:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL

I agree with you to an extent. Anyone in the streets know why Ricans are called Germans. I dont onow if they are still called that, though. You from Brooklyn so its a little different for us when we dealt with them but, if you go to the Bronx, that prejudice shyt is strong with a lot of them but that's the case when people are poor and just associate with themselves a lot of times.

As far as the drum, and religion, that sounds good, but if people are still prejudice against the people who have the same background, all that means nothing. In fact to them, they just see it as a Latino thing, you are just smart enough to go deep, but most aren't or don't even care about all that. All they know is everyone in their family did it, so they are doing it. Nothing more to it. The actions speak louder then the book smarts.