Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Not just fox, TV in general.
:mjpls:It makes you think, also that "fresh out the boat" show have more black viewers compare to "blackish". I think Black ppl love when ppl indulge in "black culture" especially hip hop

They say empire have 60% blacks watching while 10% Hispanic, with 30% cac eyes glue in

Fat Kevin

Pro
Daps
Reppin
Buffalo
These Hispanics...I tell yea...

http://latina.com/entertainment/tv/empire-needs-latinos-hip-hop-industry-commentary

"Empire
isn’t as accurate as they want you to believe it is. Let me expain.
I’m a hip-hop baby. I was born and raised in 1980s (pre-gentrified) Brooklyn, NY. I’m Latino. I fell in love with the art form as a pre-teen in the ‘90s by doing graffiti and listening to the jazz-inspired sounds of A Tribe Called Quest and Gang Starr and the hardcore funk of Cypress Hill and The Beatnuts. And by the grace of the rap gods, I was fortunate enough to begin my journalism career as a hip-hop writer/editor. From ages 20 to 27 I interviewed countless MCs (Jay Z, Nas, Fat Joe, 50 Cent), producers (9th Wonder, Lil Jon) and music executives for SOHH.com, AllHipHop.com, Vibe, The Source and many more.
RELATED: 10 Things Empire Gets Wrong About the Hip-Hop Industry

With all this experience, I can tell you Empire doesn’t get it all right. I agree with most of the commentary from my fellow hip-hop head/colleague Celia San Miguel. Where are the Latinos in Empire? The hip-hop business, at least during my time, was one of the most diverse, multi-ethnic industries. As an editor at Harris Publications (Scratch, XXL, King, etc.) I shared the masthead with African Americans, Italian Americans, Latinas, Jewish Americans, and more. For example, in one interview request (where an editor asks to interview a celebrity) I could interact with an Asian American publicist, a white manager and an African American artist. A visit to the hallowed grounds of Def Jam Records, I would be greeted by a United Nations of faces working feverishly on breaking an artist or record.

So when I read the comments on Celia’s slideshow: “Why aren't you taking issue withFresh Off The Boat, a show that is set in Florida, where there is a large Latino population, for not showing Latinos. Why just go at Empire?” my response is because Fresh Off The Boat (BTW a stellar comedy) is about one Asian American man’s (Eddie Huang) real life experience with hip-hop. Empire is, yes, about one fictitious record label, but at a larger scale it’s about the hip-hop industry—which as I stated earlier is multi-culti.

And hip-hop has been multi-culti since its inception. Created by black and Latino kids in the Bronx, as a vehicle to give voice to the voiceless—us. I have endless discussions with one of my best friends, who is a proud Haitian Canadian and also runs the hip-hop section of iTunes, about rap, black and Latin music and more. We both agree we’re still underrepresented in a lot of avenues and would love to see more black and brown collaborations.

So when a pop culture phenomenon like Empire comes along, we had high aspirations for equal representation. Alas, it’s only the first season and I’m sure its run won’t be “short like Leprechauns.” Plus, Empire’s showrunner is Ilene Chaiken, a 57-year-old white woman, who I don’t expect to be extremely well versed in the hip-hop world despite her credits. I owe a lot to hip-hop—it made me a creative writer/thinker, it nurtured one of my best friendships, and thanks to DJ Enuff and Angie Martinez (two Puerto Rocks) I met my wife. It’s not about “riding the coattails” of anyone, it’s about being true to reality. And the reality is I was a writer named Jesus interviewing your favorite rappers.
"
lol this chick is delusional

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
:mjpls:It makes you think, also that "fresh out the boat" show have more black viewers compare to "blackish". I think Black ppl love when ppl indulge in "black culture" especially hip hop

They say empire have 60% blacks watching while 10% Hispanic, with 30% cac eyes glue in
I think it shows that alot of black people are desperate to have a show with majority black cast on main network tv...regardless of quality.

Shame it took a show like this to show the idiots in Hollywood that a show with a all black cast can get ratings.

Now watch as the bullshyt shows with black casts start popping up...i'm worried because I think they'll go ahead with that Luther remake :scust:

And for the record I have no problem with shows havng all black casts if it is good quality...felt like I had to say that before the fakkits try to twist my words around.

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
Latina Magazine made a list of things that are wrong about the Tv Show Empire
http://latina.com/entertainment/tv/t...p-hop-industry

Thank god Hip-Hop left NY. Those NY black folks let these people get too bold. Rap for the last 12-13 years has been in The Dirty South. So they haven't had shyt to do with this genre for the longest. Afro Latinos going in on them in the comments section too.

Latino Hip-Hop died with Big Pun... :camby:, these NY Latinos will be bumpin' Ross flying up and down the street in their Altima, then when no one's around crank that Romeo Santos and treat him like he's legend.

...that's the only thing that gets me tight sometimes about Latinos, they got that Jew vibe to them, on some Starscream from Transformers type shyt, ride the wave until you're at your weakest then go for the kill to be king and fail.

Either you're ALL THE WAY DOWN, or not down at all.

...if you're ever around a group of Latinos and they start speaking Spanish, they don't fukk with you like that.:yeshrug:

bouncy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think it shows that alot of black people are desperate to have a show with majority black cast on main network tv...regardless of quality.

Shame it took a show like this to show the idiots in Hollywood that a show with a all black cast can get ratings.

Now watch as the bullshyt shows with black casts start popping up...i'm worried because I think they'll go ahead with that Luther remake :scust:

And for the record I have no problem with shows havng all black casts if it is good quality...felt like I had to say that before the fakkits try to twist my words around.
I think Empire is great show! shyt happens that I never expect, that's what keeps people tuned in. Most shows you can predict what's going to happen, not with Empire. For instance, last nights episode was crazy in so many ways. Lucious' son wanted to hurt his father, and ended up fukking his pops ex fiance, at a party of his main enemy:ohhh:. Then we see his gay son is the one who is down to kill just like his pops, and luscious gave him the Empire. That is crazy considering he hated him in the begiinning. Then we find out luscious isn't dying. Then luscious thought his kids got him locked up but it was his main man Vernon who was the snitch:gladbron:. And Vernon got killed by luscious' son:whoo:. I could go on and on. The show is the shyt. I don't see how anyone can say it's low quality. I do get tired of the singing but, besides that, this show is top notch.

As far as these articles popping up about other groups in hip hop, and empire not showing them, these fukkers forgot one important thing. The show is about a Family, not the Music industry.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon

Those wasnt idiots in Hollywood, they just want to fool black ppl from the idea having black actors to star in films/tv. They just figure out to make the most out of blackstar (if they use them) when display in the forefront

To me its a black stereotypical show, depict us at the worst. Now "fresh off the boat" which (full with hip hop references out the ass) have more black viewers show me that we lean to show that attach its self to black culture/hip hop/black

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Latino Hip-Hop died with Big Pun... :camby:, these NY Latinos will be bumpin' Ross flying up and down the street in their Altima, then when no one's around crank that Romeo Santos and treat him like he's legend.

...that's the only thing that gets me tight sometimes about Latinos, they got that Jew vibe to them, on some Starscream from Transformers type shyt, ride the wave until you're at your weakest then go for the kill to be king and fail.

...if you're ever around a group of Latinos and they start speaking Spanish, they don't fukk with you like that.:yeshrug:
:deadmanny:

Wild self

The Black Man will prosper!
Supporter
Daps

Latino Hip Hop died out when the south blew up in the mid 00s and many non-blacks were :dwillhuh: @ the trap sound being nothing like traditional boom bap beats. Also, the rise f the southern black stripper being mainstream, many Latin women were like :manny:

I understand quite well. I grew up in a Latino neighborhood, got called all kinda 'n1gger" by papi and to get from in front of his Bodega even before that whole context shyt came on the scene. One of my good friends is Puerto Rican living in Atlanta right now and married a sista, his family was kinda different cause they had black family members in PR and up here but breh the hate I used to experience from Latinos was far worst than cacs because cacs was scared to say that shyt to my face but not Latinos

:ohlawd: I wish pos reps were back. shyt is so damn true.

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
Hip hop has always been inclusive of Latin people, particularly the women, who BM effectively used to replace Black women in videos. I don't care for Hispanics and I don't have any Hispanic friends so I'm glad that they are not on the show.

Look at some 90s and early 00s east coast rap videos with Latin women in them. :mjpls:

nikkas are simps and turn c00ns when p*ssy of the varied shade comes around.

Urchin

Banned
Daps
Look at some 90s and early 00s east coast rap videos with Latin women in them. :mjpls:

nikkas are simps and turn c00ns when p*ssy of the varied shade comes around.

I know, the uproar in this thread is at the possibility of Latino men being introduced on Empire, not the women. No one had anything to say when Latin women were being chosen over Black women to be showcased in a Black art form.

• Dap
Reactions: Tae

Wild self

Supporter
Daps
I know, the uproar in this thread is at the possibility of Latino men being introduced on Empire, not the women. No one had anything to say when Latin women were being chosen over Black women to be showcased in a Black art form.

Bu bu but I can have pretty kids with these women. They are nothing but light skinned women that are in tact with their African roots :troll: