Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?"

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
There seems to be a misunderstanding here

1.The afram nyer channeled southern music that wasnt seen as "southern" back than. Regionalism didnt exist, it was all just black music. Where a particular artist was from was considered unnecessary information back than

2. Hip hop is an NYC creation. But all black music draws water from the same well. The cultural foundation of that rooted in southern music traditions. Hip hop is simply the northern yankee/nyc expression of this

3. The false pretense that kool herc equals jamaican bred influence

4. Sonically hip hop is funk and disco in the early years. Dj and sound system wise it was already embedded funk nyc disco dj culture

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
Flatbush wasn't west indian when Flowers was growing up.He wasn't a teenage dj like Herc,Dj Dee, and Larry Levan(Flatbush native).
Flatbush was West Indian when he grew up. :mjlol:

Stop it. The Caribbean day parade in my hood has been there since 1968.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
I said we took southern soul and made it our own . Just like Fela took from JB and refined Afro beats. How

bad analogy considering fela was taking to music that was foreign to him while the people who birthed hiphop in NYC (aframs) were pulling straight from their DIRECT southern roots.

howdid you bringing up what that southern soul was change anything?

its pretty much self explanatory:gucci:

Whogivesafuck

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Flatbush was West Indian when he grew up. :mjlol:

Stop it. The Caribbean day parade in my hood has been there since 1968.

:yeshrug:

This author said he grew up in Farragut Houses

9781469632759_p0_v3_s550x406.jpg

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Of course disco music predates Salsoul. Disco was really king in philly. But disco culture here in NYC had a salsa mix to it.

Again...this was driven by African Americans, but they were influenced by the things around it to.

there were NY disco songs for sure with salsa stylings but that wasn't the majority/root/most popular. Probably the biggest NY Disco band sounded like

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
@truth2you , I saw your request

http://www.thecoli.com/posts/27754810/

I like all types because rap music is about peoples experience. Everyone isn't struggling, some people party all day, and vice versa.

Yo, I can't reply to @NYC Rebel in the "Latino magazine mad over Empire ask: "Where are the Latinos?", thread being that I'm new but I felt I had to post this because he is wrong on a few things.

1-Flatbush wasn't always known for having a large amount of west indians. My mother moved to Brooklyn in 1965 from N.C., and she's told me how Flatbush was mostly white, and they were racists a lot of the times. It was mostly white, with some American blacks, and Puerto Ricans, west indians didn't start coing in large droves until the mid-late 70's, and early 80's. Even then it was still a large amount of black americans, but white flight started happening, and that's when caribbeans took those properties.

2-He mentioned that Grandmaster flowers was djing the labor day parade with a sound system so that proves Jamaicans influeneced him, but he fails to realize a sound system is just what Jamacians call mobile dj's. In America mobile dj's would call then "sound systems" disco or just a name for their dj set. He doesn't realize one of the founding fathers of sound systems in Jamaica, Sir Coxsonn Dodd, said himself the reason he got into music was because he saw outdoor parties in the american south when he went to work in the sugar cane fields, and he saw them making money,so he took the special music he heard in the states and brought it to Jamaica, that's how his Downbeat soundsystem got big. He also stated he brought his hifi equipment in the states, so what would make people think he used the equipment but black americans who live here wouldn't?

3-During the Great migration of southern blacks to the northern cities, they most likely brought that culture with them, and this can be seen with people like disco king mario who was the first in the bronx to bring his system outside in Bronxdale, and eventually got everyone else to do the same. Disco King Mario came to the Bronx from N.C. In Brooklyn we had access to hifi equipment right on Flatbush ave., and this is why dj's like DJ Plummer used to destroy other dj's set(he was from queens), he worked in a music equipment store on Flatbush ave., and learned what worked best with what. Dj Plummer was before Kool Herc, and more known.

4-West Indians, specifically Jamaicans DID influence hip hop in the years of 1986/87-1996 in NYC, but that was it. West Indians weren't in America in large enough numbers in the late 60's-early 70's to even influence people, let alone NYC. The group who was here before west indians or Africans were Puerto Ricans, and they were in a much larger number then black immigrants. Places where Caribbeans were besides NYC, like Miami, you can tell their dj style came from radio dj's. They talk over the record with slick phrases called toasting, they don't blend the songs, and they don't do any manipulation, which brings me to my next point.

5-The style of blending songs seamlessly, using the eq to manipulate the songs, and having a loud clean sound system came from GAY dj's, and gay nightclubs. The early black dj's like Dj Plummer would go listen to them, and realized he had to incorporate that into his style, and that's why you can see a big difference in NYC dj's vs others all over the world at the time. NYC was the home of Dj's, and top notch sound systems, it had nothing to do with other cultures, and more to do with NYC being the best place in the WORLD to party. In had the best drugs, sex everywhere, and freedom to live the way you want, along with a lot of people making good money to go party different nights in the week.

6-Hip hop left the outdoors, and went to the nightclubs, while Jamaican dj's still did a lot of outdoor block parties. This is why people 45-under, who were young kids in the early 80's, and couldn't get into nightclubs, tend to connect them with big sound systems. If you look at the early 80's, and up, all you hear about is top hip hop nightclubs such as Harlemworld, Latin Quarters, Union Square, Red Parrot, Disco fever,etc., but only two for Jamaican(biltmore ballroom, and I forget the other one). It was't until the mid 90's that they started getting into the nightclub game, most of their parties were house parties or as they called them bashments.

Please spread this knowledge in that thread as I can't, and I ain't waiting two months to do it! Black Americans have kept quiet on this pivotal role in music history, and others have taken credit for what we played a major part in because we didn't pass the knowledge down to the younger people. You know about Michaelwaynetv on youtube. This Dj PLummer interview has a wealth of info:
Old School Hip Hop Interviews - DJ Plummer | OldSchoolHipHop.Com

Look at the old pictures on this page to see how the equipment was with the Fantasia dj crew from Brooklyn who had Dj Kool Dee who was the first in the Bronx to have a real sound system, and he was under disco king mario as they all were down with the black spades gang. Kool Herc copied kool dee's equipment, so that kills the notion that Herc got his sound system ideas from jamaica:
DJ BROOKLYN LEGEND

I see you know about the Foudning fathers documentary. I don't agree that those guys created hip hop culture as far as the dancing, and the styles of dress, but they did start the dj culture that spawned hip hop! I'm so glad that documentary is out, and tells a forgotten story these media outlets don't talk about. That Complex documentary on Caribbean influence on hip hop is a joke as far as the first part of it. That guy with the dreads is talking straight bullshyt. I'm even shocked how Doug e. Fresh, and Evil Dee embellished shyt, but I see now that NYC has a black caribbean population that is equal to black americans now, and they have power, they are trying to rewrite NYC history to the young people who don't know any better.

I have NO hate for caribbeans, I just don't like the embellishment a lot tend to do. If its history, you can't change it, and doing that for whatever reason, good or bad, is being foul.

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
They can talk when they add black Latinos to their tv shows. Or hell even if they add nonwhite looking brown Latinos they may have an argument.

Well wait for that to happen tho. :coffee: